• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tahs Vs Chiefs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
For those who haven't read about it in the papers or on the net: Mils hurt himself getting up from a chair. The team had been at a video session and when he stood up something clicked and they couldn't fix it.

Although it will benefit my team, the Tahs, if he doesn't play, I'd prefer to have the pleasure of watching him at the ground. One only gets to watch great or near great players so often; so we at the SFS we be the poorer for his absence.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
curtain raiser for tonight:

Curtain Raiser
HSBC JUNIOR WARATAHS V AUSTRALIAN BARBARIANS
Friday 20 February 2009 (Kick-off 5:15pm AEDT)
Sydney Football Stadium

HSBC JUNIOR WARATAHS
1. Jeremy Tilse (Sydney University),
2. Damien Fitzpatrick (Eastwood)
3. Tim Archibald (Northern Suburbs)
4. Luke Doherty (Club TBC)
5. Sitiveni Mafi (Parramatta)
6. Dave Dennis (Sydney University)
7. Pat McCutcheon (Sydney University)
8. Lachlan McCaffrey (Eastwood)
9. Jeremy Su'a (Penrith)
10. Harry Bennett (Eastern Suburbs)
11. Damon Anderson (Eastern Suburbs)
12. Tim Bennetts (Eastwood)
13. Matt Carraro (Randwick)
14. Peter Playford (Sydney University)
15. Mark Preston (Gordon)
Reserves
16. Nath Nicol (Gordon)
17. Mike Ross (Eastern Suburbs)
18. Phil Mathers (Eastwood)
19. Kotoni Ale (Warringah)
20. Eddie Bredenhann (Sydney University)
21. Dave Paurini (West Harbour)
22. Mitch Inman (Sydney University)
23. Salesi Manu (Manly)
24. Michael McDougall (Eastwood)

AUSTRALIAN BARBARIANS
1. Lotu Taukeiaho (Randwick)
2. Scott Podmore (Parramatta)
3. Pingi Talaapitaga (Warringah)
4. Liam Winton (Penrith)
5. Damian Lloyd (West Harbour)
6. Scott Fardy (Warringah)
7. Tim McGann (Southern Districts)
8. Hugh Perrett (Eastwood)
9. Scott Stumbles (Sydney University)
10. Dave Harvey (Gordon)
11. Andrew Smith (Northern Suburbs)
12. Tom Azar (Eastern Suburbs)
13. Rowan Kellam (Eastwood)
14. Lupeni Siale (Manly)
15. Tim Wright (Randwick)
Reserves
16. Campese Ma'afu (West Harbour)
17. Elvis Levi (Penrith)
18. Eddie Aholelei (Manly)
19. Andrew Cox (Parramatta)
20. Jono Jenkins (Sydney University)
21. Steve Evans (Northern Suburbs)
22. Lachlan Mitchell (Gordon)
23. Pat Dellit (Eastern Suburbs)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lachlan Mitchell? He's the young centre that went overseas isn't he? And he's listed at Gordon? Wasn't he a Uni boy?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Maybe if Pat McCutcheon plays enough openside, who knows, he might turn into one...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Noddy said:
Lachlan Mitchell? He's the young centre that went overseas isn't he? And he's listed at Gordon? Wasn't he a Uni boy?

Yeah - playing fullback usually over there.

Same name - different player. Flyhalf for Gordon 2nd Grade.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Ash said:
Maybe if Pat McCutcheon plays enough openside, who knows, he might turn into one...

Yeah - looked handy in Newcastle in the trial at 7. Was never going to be big enough in senior rugby for his preferred 8 position at school.

Australian Barbarians? This game is essentially Tahs 2nds ( all the Tahs S14 squad not playing in the main game, plus its professional Academy players plus amateurs, which includes seven 2008 schoolboys) versus Tahs 3rds.

It's still full of interest for Tahs watchers and I'd warrant that all the S14 franchises will have a spotter there.

For those who are going early to the game, watch out for flyhalf Harry Bennetts, one of The Kings School galacticos last year. Someone else was selected ahead of him for the Oz Schools 1st XV but I mentioned at the time that I wouldn't be surprised that he made his mark in senior rugby higher than any other flyhalf of the 2008 schools tournament.

He doesn't lack confidence. Young shoulders, old head.

F

formeropenside

I wonder if the Tahs approached David Croft to turn out for the Australian Baa-Baa's? Not that he'd draw any crowd, particularly, but the Juniors would have learned a thing or two on the night.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
I saw Croftie playing in the Bondi Tens last weekend. While it was a pretty social day he managed to pull off some pretty impressive hits.

actually I think my Saturday last week warrants mention. I started by getting home at 3.30am and watching the Lions Cheetahs game although dont remember much of that. Then woke up and watched replays of Brumbies and Force games. Then went down and watched 2 hours of the Bondi Tens. Then watched the Crusaders vs Chiefs and Tahs vs Canes game. I then had a bit of a doze before watching the two saffa games and the two six nations games using Foxtel IQ. Finished at 7am. Thats all 7 super 14 games, 2 six nations games and two hours of tens in a 26 hour period.

What did you guys do for valentines day??

F

formeropenside

the gambler said:
I saw Croftie playing in the Bondi Tens last weekend. While it was a pretty social day he managed to pull off some pretty impressive hits.

actually I think my Saturday last week warrants mention. I started by getting home at 3.30am and watching the Lions Cheetahs game although dont remember much of that. Then woke up and watched replays of Brumbies and Force games. Then went down and watched 2 hours of the Bondi Tens. Then watched the Crusaders vs Chiefs and Tahs vs Canes game. I then had a bit of a doze before watching the two saffa games and the two six nations games using Foxtel IQ. Finished at 7am. Thats all 7 super 14 games, 2 six nations games and two hours of tens in a 26 hour period.

What did you guys do for valentines day??

Nothing half that cool.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Tahs should be all over them but they have no idea & the Chiefs take the lead 7-5

The tahs are gonna blow this game unless Hickey puts a rocket up thier arse at halftime.

The Chiefs look like they may score everytime the enter the 22 which is twice.

R

rugbywhisperer

Ugly, great set pieces by the Tahs and 4 points is always 4 points

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Horrible, horrible game of rugby. The shittest team lost. They fired Link because the rugby was't attractive enough? What was that then? :nta:

Tahs are goign to lose close games becuase of missing kicks at goal.

Anyone else think Burgess has a shocker? He may have a career in juggling, but to blame him alone would be harsh.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Stats...
Well, 70% possession - tick.
Good set pieces - tick.
Lack of a dominant mind to run the plays...big tick. Backs were poor - generally poor and aimless kicking, the short flat ball play was way overdone, and FFS can someone explain "soft hands" to some of these guys - too much pill fired like a bullet to someone 3 feet away when a nice little pop pass would have done.
Maybe an AFL player to help with catching high ball - for both teams.
Blue was right - shittest team lost, not saying much though.
Dickenson went OK I thought.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Playing a chiefs team missing that many ABs and that clueless at the Fortress - bad result.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Terrible effort by the Tahs pigs, very very lazy at the breakdown, rubbish cleanout all night.

So far the Tahs haven't used a reserve prop, that is going to come back and bite us later.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Scrums great, lineout OK.

Cleanout - absolute lazyness, no-one wanted to work, needed a rocket up them.

But the backs were what really made me sick up. No clue whatsoever. We now have the least well organised backline in the S14. I thought Tom Carter improved things a lot when he came on. SNK was the only bloke who looked like he was playing to the game plan.

There was a moment at about 60-70mins where the Tahs won a strong scrum, the loosies took the ball up another 10metres, Burgess pulls the ball out of the ruck, looks around and finds - nothing. No lineup, just blokes standing around - some up, some down, some left or right, but no organisation at all.

How to fix it? Well, not a lot of options, but the first thing to do is swap 12 and 13. At least Horne has played rugby so won't be totally clueless.

I'm sicking up again thing about it. :puke:

Status
Not open for further replies.