• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tawera Kerr-Barlow, an interesting prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I just watched Tawera Kerr-Barlow play a pretty good game for the Mooloos in the ITM Cup, I've had my eye on him for a while. He is a pretty decent player and can be considered an Aussie.

Now, I'm not saying this fellow is a certainty as the next big thing and I'm not a huge fan of this recent trend of touting Kiwis with Aussie links as future Wallabies but this fellow is certainly talented and spent much of his rugby playing youth in Australia (Darwin of all places?) with a Mum who represented Australia.

I'd be interested if an Aussie Province sussed him out a bit to see if he's keen on coming back to his old stopping ground.

Only issue would be if he played 7s for NZ.

Anyway, here's the majority of quite an old article that you can read here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/sport/2873669/Tawera-Kerr-Barlow-follows-mums-lead

Tawera Kerr-Barlow follows mum's lead
BY EVAN PEGDEN 17/09/2009

Tawera Kerr-Barlow grew up with his mother as his rugby idol.

So naturally there was a text before training yesterday to mother Gail, in Darwin, saying he had made the Waikato starting XV, for the first time in the Air New Zealand Cup and would play for the province on Waikato Stadium, also for the first time, tomorrow night against Wellington. A phone call was to follow later.

Kerr-Barlow, 19, earmarked as a halfback of exceptional promise for some time, was signed out of Hamilton Boys' High School last year when he was still 17.

Born in Australia of Kiwi parents, he grew up in Darwin where his mum, originally from Oparau near Kawhia, made the Australian women's team as a halfback in 1995 and 1996. "She's really happy for me and (my parents) have always been behind me. It was my mum who got me into rugby, going to watch her on Saturdays, and that's why I played halfback.

"She was my idol when I was younger oh, along with Jonah (Lomu). She was my inspiration and because she was a halfback I wanted to be a halfback."

Gail is related to former Waikato All Blacks Steve and Rob Gordon and, on Kerr-Barlow's father's side there is no lack of rugby league pedigree with uncle Tukere Barlow a former Warrington, New Zealand Maori and Waikato representative.

Kerr-Barlow grew up playing both codes because they had separate seasons in Darwin. He represented Northern Territory at under-13 level in league.

Because of his age (Kerr-Barlow turned 19 just last month), he was under New Zealand Rugby Union restrictions on playing time in the Air New Zealand Cup and was not selected originally in the Waikato cup squad. He has made three appearances off the bench after some early injury problems and now believes he is eligible to play out the season for the Mooloo men.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
If he, as a fringe Super rugby player, is thinking about national duties then he'd be silly.

He'd best find a way to put regular back-to-back starting Super rugger games together first.

Pretty tough up until now with a former AB in front of him at the Chiefs.

I'm sure TKB has aspirations to make the ABs but I don't think he thinks right now or even next year. He's a kid and there are plenty of players still around in the AB frame ahead of him

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Hes 19 enforcer, last years U20's scrum half and will probably be close to being in the Chiefs starting set-up next year.

I wouldn't worry about him not having put a run of games together for a few years. He can sit behind Leonard and get a couple of starts next year.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Hes 19 enforcer, last years U20's scrum half and will probably be close to being in the Chiefs starting set-up next year.

I wouldn't worry about him not having put a run of games together for a few years. He can sit behind Leonard and get a couple of starts next year.

I know, just an interesting though. You never know the deal till you sound someone out.

S

Squeak

Were I the Chiefs' coach I'd've (that's have, not "of") been picking him to start from the start of the season. If he wants to impress, he needs to look no further than Dan Braid. Move clubs, move country if necessary. Any starting gig in the Superrugby will show his talent. If a needy Australian club does the job, good for both of them. I'm thinking the brums could be a prospect for him. I the Tahs hadn't just signed pretorius he'd be right in the frame there too.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
TKB was good, but who the hell was that Elliot Dickson bloke in 8 for the Southlanders? What a machine.

Time to start an ITM thread me thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.