• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Teams for the rest of the EOYT

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Newter

Robbie Deans has a few big decisions to make with regards to how he rotates his squad, and what his best 22 is.

I think that the England and France games will be the toughest, and as they are also the highest ranked opponents I think the best 22 should be deployed. The matches against Liecester and Munster should not include any of the best starting XV. The matches against Wales and Italy should have a combination of each group - try things out for the matches against England and France, and a chance for some (yet more) young talent to gain experience and maybe show they can match it in internationals.

For the match against Wales, I'd like to see:

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Mumm
5. Van Humphries
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. McCalman
9. Burgess
10. Barnes
11. Mitchell
12. JO'C (kicker)
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Turner
15. Beale (long range - if we really must - kicker)

16. Fainga'a
17. Slipper
18. Chisholm
19. Hodgson
20. Genia
21. Cooper
22. Pat McCabe

With the exception of Burgess, I think that could be the best starting backline - well I'd like to see it given a run. Cooper's defence is too much for me to take, but I wouldn't drop him altogether.

In the forwards, the front row needs time to get back into the groove - if they very well or very badly I'd make substitutions early. I am a bit concerned about the strength of the front rowers in the squad. Hodgson needs some time on the park, for either Pocock or Elsom.

Nah, this tour is a World Cup practice run. They should play their best side each week, with tired players rested v Italy.

Most likely situation is that Deans won't drop anyone this week. Except for a change of goal kicker!

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
What's with all these dumb changes?

There's only one change that needs to be made: barnes for giteau.

That's all.

Maybe you missed the first post, or maybe the premise outlined therein eluded you. I'll try to make it clearer:

The Wallabies will be playing 6 games in the next 4 weeks. Some people (myself included) think squad rotation might be a good idea, so that the team will be equipped to win all of the matches, and in order to trial and assess some of the team options.

To my mind, the matches fall into 3 categories:

Very tough tests: England and France - best 22
Tests (in all senses of the word): Wales, Italy - best XV, but with some rotation
Mid week matches: Liecester, Munster - no 1st XV starters

Further to that idea, here is a potential dirt tracker line up:

1. Daley
2. Fainga'a
3. Ma'afu
4. Simmons
5. Van Humphries
6. Higginbotham
7. Hodgson
8. Brown
9. Phipps
10. Barnes (c)
11. Morahan
12. Fainga'a
13. McCabe
14. Davies
15. Hynes

16. Edmonds
17. Slipper
18. Mumm
19. McCutcheon
20. Burgess
21. ?? A 1st XV starter ??
22. Turner

Assuming Deans keeps the current starting XV, it would seem prudent to avoid using them in the mid week matches.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Well the team for the Wales game has been named - an unchanged XV, actually an unchanged 22. In many ways a good thing for this game. Maybe the starting XV will be fine starting multiple games. I hope they are.
What I really don't want to hear is that any potential losses are due to fatigue.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
If it is a dry run for next year's world cup then it is best the players get used to backing up for three hard tests in a row. However, I would like to see Sharpe rested as at his age injuries can occur easily. He is crucial to our chances of bringing Bill home next year. It would be good to see Elsom and Pocock sent home after the England game as well, don't want them breaking!

Status
Not open for further replies.