• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The ARC 4 years on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
I was looking through my youtube favourites list and found this old promo video from the 2007 ARC. The tag line being, 'see the Wallabies of tomorrow, today'. I remember quite liking it at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky7jG2QluMU

Interesting to see who they got right and wrong.

Beale - Superstar
Burgess, Mumm, Faingaas - All have had stints in the Wallaby jumper, to varying success
Few others who haven't made it far beyond super rugby. Is that Josh Holmes?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Fantastic comp. I was the first person through the gates at North Sydney Oval for the first game (Rays / Fleet). Went out to Parra Stadium a couple of times for the Rams. The whole thing worked so damn beautifully. (Unless you are a QLDer! Geez, those Turdnadoes weren't much good.)

Bring back the ARC! Bring back ELVs! Bring back David Croft!

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Fantastic comp. I was the first person through the gates at North Sydney Oval for the first game (Rays / Fleet)

I was at that game as well. I missed a lot of the second half queueing for beers. I got the impression that the organisers where both surprised and almost embarrassed at the success of that game. There were a lot of supporters, it was a great day in the sun and North Sydney Oval is a great oval to watch sport.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
I once saw Beale cruising around burwood Westfield in his rams jersey

The original ARC Melbourne Rebels jerseys are still seen with moderate frequency at current Rebels matches (it's the jersey Luke Burgess pulls on at the end of the ad - he was a Rebel). Wearers are accorded with a certain level of respect as they're clearly the true believers :p

Which raises an interesting point. One of the small enduring benefits of the ARC was the planting of the seed of the Melbourne Rebels name. Most of us were reasonably proud at having reached the finals of the ARC. There was enough residual sentimentality for the team name to see it being retained for the Super 15 team when we finally got it.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
It ticked all the rugby boxes but not the financial one. The teams were artificial but somehow, against all theory, it worked - at least, for me.

I was also at the opening game and went to every Sydney/Gosford game of the Rays - went to most Fleet games at the NSO too because they were handy. Saw all the TV games and all the others from (ahem) alternative sources that had no commentary - just the refs talking to each other. Loved it, just loved it, and I have no doubt I would be following the Rays through thick and thin now still if the ARC had survived.

It's odds on that the ARC in its old form won't be reprised; so now we are back to how it always was. In that context, in Sydney at least, I am all for the rise of powerful clubs who have the wherewithal to be outposts in the Greater Sydney area. Once an opponent of Sydney Uni and its perceived unfair advantages, I am all for it now. I have no qualms about Maloney tipping money into Southerns and attracting players there either.

Manly seen to be doing something right in their recruitment programme too and I wish there was a sugar daddy out west for Parramatta or Penrith and no doubt, so do they. If the ARC did not work as a national competition maybe one can be worked out involving strong clubs - which is what the old farts wanted all along. And they were right: the ARC the ARU came up with after the Genesis meeting could not be sustained.

We may not have another national competition for some time but one could see a case for getting one started up on the eastern seaboard with club teams that have the financial wherewithal to participate.

You couldn't involve Perth because of prohibitive travel and accommodation costs, but Melbourne and Canberra should have a team provided they can pay their way. I note the the Canberra Vikings used to play in the Sydney comp, then the Qld comp, then the Sydney comp again; so it can't be that hard.

In Sydney and Brisbane/Gold Coast, one could see a scenario whereby clubs have to qualify to be in the national comp and be subject to relegation. Clubs could be promoted to it also if they have the financial wherewithal.

I could pick holes in these suggestions as well as anybody and they flicked through my mind as I typed, especially weaker clubs being marginalised, but if we want a national comp and the other one didn't work, we have to do something different.

Or, maybe we are happy to have things how they are with no national competition. That is a valid consideration also.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Trust me, the Canberra Vikings can pay their own way...

They're the richest club in the country...

Their supposed problem was they didn't supply a team for all playing levels... which is hard when it pools its players from various Canberra clubs and Brumbies' squad members...

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Lee,

I'd still prefer to see the ARC revisted but with a different approach. What I liked about the ARC apart from the Rugby was the clean slate it provided for Rugby, soemthing it could use to build a support base outside of its traditional following. Should be looked at again rather seriously. I know finances won't allow for it but it would be fantastic if the ARU announced it was revisiting the concept but instead of establishing greenfield organisations they were inviting (demanding) franchisee for fill the organisation and rosters of the new teams. That way they can directly involve the clubs in the competition. Tell them where you want the teams and the ideal partnerships required to fome them.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
while I'd love to see a national or even eastern seaboard provincial comp I do feel for the smaller clubs and the subbies clubs that it will decimate. With extended Superugby, the provincial comp would take most of the talent out of current clubs, leaving clubs to take the players (talent or otherwise) from the sub grades. How would the clubs and subbies clubs survive on only 1 or 2 teams worth of fees? Not sure.

We seem to have put all of our eggs in the superugby basket hoping that will provide a provincial comp. While JON is head of the ARU that will stay the direction

T

TOCC

JON was put back in charge by the very people who opposed the ARC, he wont be bringing it back in any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.