• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Commentator Commentator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Gagger said:
Hands off Gordie Bray Riddler.

Gordon has his good points (rugby tragic 'n' all) but he does have a bad habit of talking down to his audience. Just think of the times he told you something he thought you didn't know; a bit too often for my liking.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Lindommer said:
Gordon has his good points (rugby tragic 'n' all) but he does have a bad habit of talking down to his audience. Just think of the times he told you something he thought you didn't know; a bit too often for my liking.

Not everyone watching the broadcast has the same knowledge of Rugby as you do. For someone tuning in for the first time that kind of talk would be incredibly useful.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Whether I like it or not he was the voice of rugby through my youth (until I moved over here and it became Bill Maclaren).

It's emotional!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Gordon Bray's constant need to assign useless and/or gay fucking nicknames drove me batshit crazy. Calling David Lyons "The Molong Mincer" just made him sound like a fudge packer.

I will happily take Kearns et al with all their faults, because they at least make me laugh and treat me like an adult. And the tension in the room when Kearns and Marto are calling a QLD v NSW match is good.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Interesting to see in today's SMH Ruck & Maul that the Pieman has a rumour that a well known commentator will be switching channels and raising the standard of the call. Obvious suggestion would be Gordon Bray to Fox Sports but perhaps one of the ABC guys is jumping ship?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Interesting to see in today's SMH Ruck & Maul that the Pieman has a rumour that a well known commentator will be switching channels and raising the standard of the call. Obvious suggestion would be Gordon Bray to Fox Sports but perhaps one of the ABC guys is jumping ship?

I love the ABC commentators, but I dont think they'd really raise the standard of the call.

D

daz

Speaking of Foxsports, and apologies for raising old news, but why did Nick replace Clarkie on the Rugby Club? Whose call was that?

The likes of Marto, Kearns and especially that irritating bug JP are getting way off-topic and clownish without headmaster Clark keeping order.

Or maybe it's just me.....

Reactions: DPK

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
the abc commentators froma couple of years ago where better than this year, though im unsure who they are. im hoping for gordon bray to go somewhere,otherwise it wont be the same

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Maybe its the rose coloured glasses of time, but I still remember with great fondness the commentary of Cyril Towers on the ABC in the 60's and 70's. I think that's why the commentators now disappoint me so much. He was light years better than Kafer, who people seem to think is the best of the modern day analysts.

I too liked Tony Johnson and Phil Kearns commentating together a couple of years ago. For some reason the combination knocked the rough edges off each of them and the outcome was exciting, sensible analysis without the annoying habits. Doesn't happen any more though.

Surely the Executive Producer of the shows should pull the commentators in regularly to discuss their performance and tell them what to avoid. I like scrums as much as the next bloke but Kearns on scrummaging tells you repeatedly that scrumming is wonderful and the only reason people play rugby. It becomes tiresome after the 100th time. He hardly ever analyses the scrum and why it is collapsing/going backwards/wheeling and yet he is well qualified to do so.

Most of the commentators do the easy stuff - commentating on what's there. Very few commentate on what is missing: why forwards aren't cleaning out, why teams aren't using the rolling maul, why the winger is left with no space etc. etc. Yet its usually what is not happening that is the cause of a team's woe's. I think that would add immeasurably to the overall experience.

inthestands

Sydney Middleton (9)
Speaking of Foxsports, and apologies for raising old news, but why did Nick replace Clarkie on the Rugby Club? Whose call was that?

The likes of Marto, Kearns and especially that irritating bug JP are getting way off-topic and clownish without headmaster Clark keeping order.

Or maybe it's just me.....

I'd say it's a transition through to next year. Clarkie's going to be doing a lot more games in 2011 so they're using new blood on that show. It's no different to Adam Peacock hosting the panel for the Premier League content or when David Murdoch did the bikes. Let's face it - McArdle's not the problem... it's the rest of them. You should be able to watch that show and be pumped for the weekend of Rugby coming up. As it is now, you end up thinking how depressing the state of the game is.

Would be great to inject some energy into the program rather than being overly scripted. Maybe it needs Sean Maloney or someone like that in the hotseat. Kafe is the ultimate analyst, but he's usually the only one on there who seems genuinely excited about the upcoming games across the board; he'd go alright as a host too, but he's not a full-timer at Fox.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Is the delectable Amanda Shahala (sp.) still around? I recollect her articles three years ago in ABC website being so well written and then she worked for ABC as a sideline commentator/interviewer for the match of the day the next year...haven't heard a peep about her since then....

Status
Not open for further replies.