• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The crocodile roll ruck clear out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
I have a second complaint with it when the player pulls someone from the side or the back of the ruck. That's either not going through the gate, or moving into an offisde position and continuing to play.

Yes, although I would add that if the player comes through the gate legally and remains bound he is entitled to clean out in any direction he likes, even backwards.

dave

Stan Wickham (3)
Yes, although I would add that if the player comes through the gate legally and remains bound he is entitled to clean out in any direction he likes, even backwards.
The welsh did that with Poey on the weekend. They pulled him forward and the ref got him for going off his feet.

Obviously the crocodile roll around the head and neck needs to be officiated but the one that George Smith demonstrated looks fine. It's never that clean in a real game though.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The welsh did that with Poey on the weekend. They pulled him forward and the ref got him for going off his feet.

Obviously the crocodile roll around the head and neck needs to be officiated but the one that George Smith demonstrated looks fine. It's never that clean in a real game though.

That always happens. Welsh pulled him off his feet, then he gets done for going off his feet/sealing the ball off. That was a bad call. Should have been a penalty to Oz as he was on his feet prior with hands over the ball.

Cleaning out via contact with the head or neck is the most important thing to stop. It still occurs just about every game (and did so again on the weekend - can't recall the exact incident though, sorry).

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
Nah, just mocking Fanatic for his self-righteousness.

I'm not out to ban the croc roll, but I'd like the law-makers to take a look at it. Obviously, grabbing anyone around the head and twisting is fucking insane and they should do some time. Grabbing around the body and rolling feels dangerous to me, too. It's a bit like Bakkies Botha's cleanouts - if you're not careful, you are just crashing your head and shoulder into a prone player's back. So, if the croc roll is legal, then care needs to be taken.

I have a second complaint with it when the player pulls someone from the side or the back of the ruck. That's either not going through the gate, or moving into an offisde position and continuing to play.
mock mock mock away ( but I think Smithy knows what he is talking about here)
I like aggressive forward play and will defend it accordingly and I don't care if the cool kids disagree with me.
There is way too much talk of banning this or that which I do think is stupid; shoud we all go play/watch League - yuck :(

When a player is pulled from offside or back it can not usually a done by a clean croc roll and care certainly does need to be taken. Croc roll is the safest was to clean out 'thru the gate' when low to the ground and forwards should be instructed in how to do so correctly.

what is wrong with this?

L

Linebacker_41

what is wrong with this?

Fanatic I agree with you there is absolutely nothing wrong with this as long as you bind on the body.

There are some great jujitsu moves that can be applied to gain dominance that do not endanger the opposition.

This is what is great about all sports - the ability to take techniques from other disciplines and apply them to your sport helps evolve the game.

Without the Croc Roll and similar moves we may as well say to England "flood the breakdown, kick the f... out of the ball and lets see who has the best goal kicker"

The other option is to get all hands off the ball in ruck situation and allow true rucking to come back. Again there are injury risks with this too.

(My preference is to bring back rucking though)

Status
Not open for further replies.