• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Death of the Props

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
They can call them props or what ever they like, but when your hooker is your scrum half you might as well name each position after mythical beings.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
So League props are getting smaller. Now we have 6 foot 2, 100 kilo props, 6 foot 2, 100 kilo back rowers, a 6 foot 2, 100 kilo 5/8, 6 foot 2, 100 kilo Centres and, you guessed it 6 foot 2, 100 kilo wingers. And all of them are so talented that they can take on the rigours of any of those positions. RL is an amazingly complex game.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Notsomuch, the big units in Rugby have to have specialized knowledge that requires year of training and a vastly different mindset. So I can't see marginalized bigmen from league having any hope whatsoever of making it in Union.

I'm not talking about the ones that are playing now, but if league requires them to weigh no more than about 105 in the future then there will be plenty that can't even get a start and might switch quite early (17/18 year olds). Of course they might not be props in union but some of the more skillful ones would make great loose forwards.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
So League props are getting smaller. Now we have 6 foot 2, 100 kilo props, 6 foot 2, 100 kilo back rowers, a 6 foot 2, 100 kilo 5/8, 6 foot 2, 100 kilo Centres and, you guessed it 6 foot 2, 100 kilo wingers. And all of them are so talented that they can take on the rigours of any of those positions. RL is an amazingly complex game.

The guys that look any different in league is the half back and hooker. Oh and Billy slater.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

I think if you looked hard enough there would be teams where their backs weigh more than their forwards

Status
Not open for further replies.