• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The dying - perhaps death - of Rugby in Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Game is not dying nationally just seems like it here in NSW with the total disregard shown to any grassroots involvement and development by either the ARU or NSWRU. States such as Qld and Wa seem to have a strong committment to the game and its development. Franchises such as the Brumbies and Melbourne are both progressing the name and nature of the game.

Just wish they, ARU and NSWRU, could see that an investment in the lower levels of rugby (Juniors and Club) and improved pathways for players after they leave Juniors here in NSW will benefit in the long term both the State's fortunes and the National teams success.

A full review as suggested by RUPA the other day would be a start. We need to take control again and start to rebuild the popularity of our wonderful game.

T

TOCC

Not all that long ago, the match of the day was shown from Ballymore on Queensland FTA. No longer. So the only rugby shown in Queensland are the Test matches. Except for Shute Shield replays at 2.30 am on Tuesdays, and an occasional "Classic" match on ONE.

There is a rumour that the NSW Shute Shield coverage is going to be dropped by the ABC.

Meanwhile, a huge amount of league is shown on FTA, and as for Fox.....blimey, everything from every competition.

The SMH used to have a couple of pages of rugby several days a week. Now the NRL gets 6 pages, and we get two paragraphs.

We are getting blown away. Tiny gains in the newer areas, which translate into huge percentage increases, mean very little in real terms. The big corporate money for rugby has always been in Sydney. And that is where we are in diabolical trouble.

Thankyou for disregarding my comment after i took the time to find those links and reply to you like you requested....

Lol, the broadcast of clubs games is a different subject altogether and isnt an automatic measure of the state of the game. The advent of digital TV has massively impacted on the ABC and there ability to capture market shares, ABC now have to fund 3 different channels whilst operating on the same budget and are competing against more commercial channels then ever before. Broadcasting sporting games are expensive exercises and rugby isn't the only one on the chopping block, a large number of sports broadcast on the ABC are been reevaluated due to the cost. W-League has already been dropped and there will be more to come in the next 24 months.

Take the blinkers off and realise that the game is bigger then just Sydney, other areas of Australian Rugby are growing strongly, rugby union has been competing against the NRL and AFL for 100years, nothing has changed, just take a deep breath and relax.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Why would NZ want to exclude RSA from Super Rugby? The ITM + Aussie conference doesn't seem like much of a draw.

If you're talking about some kind of 3rd tier. well, yeah, that'd be great.

No, we can't support a 3rd tier. It will always be a battle for enough funding, and distract attention from the main competition. It doesn't make sense at all to me to further dilute exposure by having a myriad of different teams and competitions when we are already a relatively small sport in this country.

Believe it or not, the kiwis still see games vs Aus teams as the bigger drawcards. They would be in the same position - more games at better times against teams they can relate to.

If we want to include a country just because of money, then we'd be better off including Japanese teams who are closer to our time zone.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
ALl this talk about junior numbers growing - thats great, but as I said in my earlier post, our methods of selecting the best of these juniors is so insular and selective to a certain few elite that get the chance. The current talent identification systems in Australia will see NO knock on effect tothese huge junior numbers playing unless we go to a system similar to how NZ selects their junior talent.

T

TOCC

ALl this talk about junior numbers growing - thats great, but as I said in my earlier post, our methods of selecting the best of these juniors is so insular and selective to a certain few elite that get the chance. The current talent identification systems in Australia will see NO knock on effect tothese huge junior numbers playing unless we go to a system similar to how NZ selects their junior talent.

I agree there is room to greatly improve the development process.. However in the context of this article, does that mean rugby union is dying?... No it doesn't

Whether juniors all progress to the elite level is regardless, the fact remains that they are the future generations of fans, sponsors and corporate support as well..

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Free to air would be interested in this product (they are not interested in paying for games played vs SA teams in the middle of the night). Short term pain through loss of SA revenue, but long term gain. A comp that can merge the provincial and third tiers together (I do not believe we are strong enough to have both).

Free to air would be interested in this product? This is the same Free to Air that had purchased the rights to a number of games at last year's RWC, Rugby's showcase event, but then refused to show the games live on one of their two channels because it clashed with their other regular programs? This was the RWC being played in New Zealand, so kick off times were very 'viewer-friendly' for the Australian audience. Yet the majority of the games they decided to show were delayed and in fact screened late at night.

Believe it or not, the kiwis still see games vs Aus teams as the bigger drawcards. They would be in the same position - more games at better times against teams they can relate to.

If we want to include a country just because of money, then we'd be better off including Japanese teams who are closer to our time zone.
The kiwi/aussie audience cannot relate to the teams from South Africa, but they can definitely relate to the teams in Japan?
Out of interest, the Reds struggled to fill Suncorp stadium for their knockout game against the Sharks earlier this year, what size crowd do you reckon they'd draw for a game against a Japanese club team?

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Why would NZ want to exclude RSA from Super Rugby? The ITM + Aussie conference doesn't seem like much of a draw.

If you're talking about some kind of 3rd tier. well, yeah, that'd be great.

I for one am very happy with the nature of both the Super 15 and the Rugby Championship. I would be very disappointed if the Saffers were dropped from both just so that the viewing times were a bit better. The greatest point of difference with rugby Union is its internationalism and this should be embraced. The idea of only teams from NZ and AUS in a provincial tournament would be an appalling and short sighted move IMO.

I have no preference for NZ v AUS games over NZ v SA games. Sure the away SA games can be at annoying times, but I normally just record those ones and watch them over breakfast on Sundays. I have always viewed the Springboks and SA rugby in general as the main rival, and they are the ones I most want to play and beat. Perhaps this is a reflection of my age.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Ticket Master has kick off at 6:30pm WA time. Just add it to the quality of Fairfax.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Every code has experienced a down turn of some kind.

Unfortunately this is our period. You learn from your mistakes and come out better for it.

For those of us with a highly vested interest in the game, sure it's extremely painful at times. That's why we do, what we do.

When we do return to that great height once again, some day, savour and enjoy it.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
While Rugby 7's is at the Olympics, it will NOT die in Australia.

Many may not like the shortened version of the game and claim it is not real rugby. They are right it is not real rugby, but drawing parallels from Cricket, Kerry Packer's WSC did not kill off Test Cricket, or the longer 2 innings versions of the game for Club and School 1st XI's.

In many respects the adoption of T20 and 50 over pajama cricket has ensured the very survival of the longer form of the game. The two versions coexist rather well.

As long as there is a viable International Rugby competition somewhere in the world, it will remain relevant here with the point of difference being International Competition. Mungoball and Cross Country Volleyball (CCVB) are International orphans that no one else wants to play with, much to the ongoing embarassment of the Administrators and players.

CCVB, and Mungoball are in the same category of interesting niche local interest internationally irrelevant sports like Hungarian otter racing, Cornish Bog snorkling, Wiltshire Cheese Rolling, Scottish Caber Tossing, American Gridiron, and Ice Speedway etc.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Free to air would be interested in this product? This is the same Free to Air that had purchased the rights to a number of games at last year's RWC, Rugby's showcase event, but then refused to show the games live on one of their two channels because it clashed with their other regular programs? This was the RWC being played in New Zealand, so kick off times were very 'viewer-friendly' for the Australian audience. Yet the majority of the games they decided to show were delayed and in fact screened late at night.

The kiwi/aussie audience cannot relate to the teams from South Africa, but they can definitely relate to the teams in Japan?
Out of interest, the Reds struggled to fill Suncorp stadium for their knockout game against the Sharks earlier this year, what size crowd do you reckon they'd draw for a game against a Japanese club team?

1. Yes, eventually they would be interested, because the masses would be interested.

2. I didn't suggest Japan because they would be good to relate to, just that if we want a cash cow then we may as well get one in our time zone. I don't actually want them at all in a regular comp (just include them with SA teams in a champions league type comp). (I actually specifically said 'if we want one just for money')

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I for one am very happy with the nature of both the Super 15 and the Rugby Championship. I would be very disappointed if the Saffers were dropped from both just so that the viewing times were a bit better. The greatest point of difference with rugby Union is its internationalism and this should be embraced. The idea of only teams from NZ and AUS in a provincial tournament would be an appalling and short sighted move IMO.

I have no preference for NZ v AUS games over NZ v SA games. Sure the away SA games can be at annoying times, but I normally just record those ones and watch them over breakfast on Sundays. I have always viewed the Springboks and SA rugby in general as the main rival, and they are the ones I most want to play and beat. Perhaps this is a reflection of my age.

I am not suggesting disbanding the Rugby Championship. This is an international competition and should be kept that way, just like the 6 nations.

You note that you tape the SA games and watch them over breakfast. In all likelihood skipping any advertising that comes up. What do you think that does to the ability to sell advertising for these games for NZ and Aus tv networks? The ad spots would be worth virtually nothing on commercial television.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I am not suggesting disbanding the Rugby Championship. This is an international competition and should be kept that way, just like the 6 nations.

You note that you tape the SA games and watch them over breakfast. In all likelihood skipping any advertising that comes up. What do you think that does to the ability to sell advertising for these games for NZ and Aus tv networks? The ad spots would be worth virtually nothing on commercial television.

But if you look at Channel 9 and the NRL they show one game live a week out of their three games (one is only delayed by an hour or so).

There are more than enough games in good time slots in Super Rugby to satisfy a FTA channel if there were enough viewers interested.

Do you think New Zealand would want to lose the revenue from South Africa for what would presumably have minimal impact on rugby growth in New Zealand?

If the plan meant that the salaries for our top rugby players dropped by half overnight, do you not think that we'd lose half the stars that make the game marketable?

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)

That is a fair point, and a valid reason why FTA coverage of those games is unlikely to fly.

Still though, that's no reason to abandon the South Africans for the Super XV as some have suggested; and have a competition that is barely any more international than the League or the Football etc. The Super XV has a point of difference from all other leagues virtually in the world in that it is international. I say keep it that way.

Late Starter

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think the issue is the lack of a genuine third tier competition. There's a big difference between the NPC or Currie Cup and Sydney or Brisbane premier rugby.

On the positive side; athough a 5th Super team probably stretched Australia's playing stocks this year, more players playing at this level can only improve the overall depth of Australian rugby in the medium-long term

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
I think the issue is the lack of a genuine third tier competition. There's a big difference between the NPC or Currie Cup and Sydney or Brisbane premier rugby.

That is certainly part of it, but I would attack it at a different angle. Whilst NZ rugby fans are buzzing about the latest incarnation of the ITM Cup which as always is full of movement and tries and new superstars, Aussie fans have nothing to talk about apart from how dull it is and how long the two weeks between TRC games is. This should be the peak of the season, but as far as I know there is nothing going on in Australian Rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.