• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The end of the Adidas jersey debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lot-2-Vi...U_Rugby_Union_Memorabilia&hash=item2eb8b52d19

From this, the grand slam striped sleeve jerseys were indeed adidas, unless theyre fake of course which i doubt. Awesome looking shirt!

How odd

It's not suggested they were worn in a test and one is a kids.
My recollection is that it was impossible to buy authentic replica wallaby jerseys in oz at the time: otherwise I would have bought one. It remained impossible for years after this.
I have heard that the Adidas jersey was organized for us by NZ because of the ARUs financial position.

I also reckon the collars are different: those offered for sale look like jersey whereas those worn in the team shot are of a non stretchy material, to use the technical term.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
I suspected it was a fake. But had a look at close up's. It could be legit.

The person selling has quite a number of sales. It's a S and a size 8. It's possible it's been up in a cupboard somewhere.

I don't think that there was any debate on whether it was adidas or not. It was pretty clear cut from what i could see from old footage. The three stripes has been a trademark for many years.

If you are considering purchasing. Ask for a close up of the tag. If it looks ok. Legit.

R.I.P

Bob McCowan (2)
Canterbury in NZ also made a French adidas jersey around the same time as these advertised jerseys.
The 1984 Grand Slam jerseys were made by Peerless - I have a picture of Andrew Slacks jersey from a 1979 tour.

Attachments

• slack1.jpg
    slack1.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 617

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Canterbury in NZ also made a French adidas jersey around the same time as these advertised jerseys.
The 1984 Grand Slam jerseys were made by Peerless - I have a picture of Andrew Slacks jersey from a 1979 tour.

so this could fit with my organised by the NZRU theory above?

Status
Not open for further replies.