• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Griwi...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
... Has lost it. Big-time.

It's in his latest piece of lunacy on The Roar. Now, most of it is just proof that the NH journos can wind him up like naughty kids teasing a mad dog on a chain. But this bit;

The Six Nations establishment likes to think that their ideas about how rugby should be played (the laws and so on, including refereeing interpretations) and the structure of the game (the various tournaments and world season) should be run entirely according to their dictates.

:nta:

I'll pass over the fact that on a regular basis, he appears to think that the French, Irish and Italians are all British (albeit he might want to get a decent atlas). But just look at that sentence. Take out the bits in parentheses, as they don't affect the sense of it at all. You're left with:

The Six Nations establishment likes to think that their ideas about how rugby should be played and the structure of the game should be run entirely according to their dictates.

And that, dear Scarfers, makes no sense at all as written.

The worst thing is, he goes on to then say how hard it'll be, but any wins will be rare and hard-fought - making exactly the same point as the NH journos.

How many European coaches, for instance, are being chased to coach in Southern Hemisphere nations?

If you mean coaches working in Europe - well, Jim Williams ain't doing to badly, nor have Hansen and Henry. I note Fabien Galthie is now working with Argentina as well. And if it's about lifting coaches from overseas, people in glass houses... ::)

He also makes some scandalous accusations about the Scottish players en bloc and the SRU, which he will be bloody lucky if he doesn't get sued for. Would be obliged if they weren't repeated here, for that reason.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
http://www.theroar.com.au/2008/11/0...sion-of-the-nh-will-be-successful/#more-12238

You're being too harsh by half on Spiro, Thomo. Most of his points are valid, especially the statistics re NH/SH tests since 2003 (76 tests for 13 wins). All we see in the SH is constant criticism of all SH rugby matters by NH scribes yet the performances of NH sides on the field leaves a lot to be desired.

SH/NH coaches? I interpreted Spiro's comments to mean NH coaches aren't being chased by any SH teams; Williams, Hansen and Henry are, of course, SH coaches in the first instance.

Scotland? The width of the pitch against us a few years ago was blatant cheating; the position of the redrawn lines (the correct touch lines coudn't be completely erased) was there for all to see. The matter of the similar jumpers at RWC2007 was devious at best and deliberately misleading at worst. I can't comment on the "size" of their forwards as I don't know anything about it.

F

formeropenside

I generally think Spiro is an idiot and have no great cause to disagree in this particular case.

However, in the interests of fairness:

1. The Wallabies dont have a great away record in the NH of late. But of 6 RWC's 5 have been won by the SH teams.
2. If the Scots field was legal under the rules, it was legal. I'm a lawyer, so I even admire that kind of thing.
3. Performance enhancing drug accusations are a cheap shot.
4. A lot of SH coaches become more sort after with a little NH seasoning. Note that SH coaches are deemed to include SH players that began a coaching career in the NH.

S

Spook

Thomond78 said:
How many European coaches, for instance, are being chased to coach in Southern Hemisphere nations?

If you mean coaches working in Europe - well, Jim Williams ain't doing to badly, nor have Hansen and Henry. I note Fabien Galthie is now working with Argentina as well. And if it's about lifting coaches from overseas, people in glass houses... ::)

Sounds like more lunacy on your part.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Spook said:
Thomond78 said:

Sounds like more lunacy on your part.
So Spook, you disagree that these fellows learnt all they know about rugby and coaching in Ireland and Wales? ;)

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Lindommer said:
http://www.theroar.com.au/2008/11/0...sion-of-the-nh-will-be-successful/#more-12238

You're being too harsh by half on Spiro, Thomo. Most of his points are valid, especially the statistics re NH/SH tests since 2003 (76 tests for 13 wins). All we see in the SH is constant criticism of all SH rugby matters by NH scribes yet the performances of NH sides on the field leaves a lot to be desired.

SH/NH coaches? I interpreted Spiro's comments to mean NH coaches aren't being chased by any SH teams; Williams, Hansen and Henry are, of course, SH coaches in the first instance.

Scotland? The width of the pitch against us a few years ago was blatant cheating; the position of the redrawn lines (the correct touch lines coudn't be completely erased) was there for all to see. The matter of the similar jumpers at RWC2007 was devious at best and deliberately misleading at worst. I can't comment on the "size" of their forwards as I don't know anything about it.

For the umpteenth time; Jim's first pro coaching gig was in the NH. He came up here as a player, remember? Played for four seasons before starting coaching? His only pro coaching gig before going to the Wobblies was in an NH team? As FOS pointed out; you made the player, we made the coach. And I didn't see Dingo Deans hunting many SH coaches for his forwards either.

And there's a good reason; a lot of the time, you want someone from outside your group to look at your coaching set-up from outside because he won't share the same received wisdom as you do. You get a fresh perspective as a result, which helps a lot in an age when things can get stale fast.

As to the factual issues, you can argue a lot. But that sentence I highlighted is the mark of someone who's just hammering out any old shit because Jones et al can wind him up at will.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think it's a bit of a leap to say he had nothing to apply to coaching from his playing days, and learned everything about coaching only when edified at Munster! I would think a fair bit that a player picks up about coaching is from being coached along the way. I know you've stated your point umpteen times. I just happen to disagree.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Besides which, you should be calling him the Greewi so as not to confuse everyone...

Status
Not open for further replies.