• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Haka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
its a physiological advantage it gets them in that mindset that they are going to battle and need to gear up, its like a switch and when its performed they know its go time. With a minute till kickoff what else should you be thinking about? the gameplan? should have had that downpat a week ago, don't need to think about it. your opposite number? what better way to think about him than spotting him in the haka, going and arking up to him and thinking im going to belt that prick the second he gets the ball. Its not a worry, it should be a natural instinct, a mindset of "we arnt going to just stand here and take this quietly".

How do you know what the Wallabies are thinking when they are facing the haka? Each individual is different and will each be thinking of different things in those moments prior to kick off. Personally, I would fucking relish the opportunity to stand, arm in arm with my team mates and face the haka. Perception is a funny thing. I doubt the Wallabies are standing mentally shaking in their boots any more than the ABs would be performing it thinking, look at these idiots just standing there, what a bunch of girls!

I'm really not sure what your opposition to it is based on. What would you prefer the Wallabies do and why would it benefit them?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
They'll get hammered in the media for dusruspuct

Guarantee that if they win, no-one will really care. Yeah, NZ media and public mite be miffed but do you really care? I wouldn't if I was a Wallaby fan - it would probably make winning even sweeter!! LOL

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
They'll get hammered in the media for dusruspuct

Actually, what will happen is one rag such as the mirror will twist words and perhaps quote one article out of 1000 and then somehow that will be treated as gospel about disrespect etc etc.

But who gives a shit what the media think anyway? Nobody but the media I thought.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Kiap will that be the Saffer part of the English cricket team or the 3 actual English players in that team with a wee bit of talent?

M

Muttonbird

A Haka adds to the spectacle. Life (read marketing) these days more than ever is about spectacle, so Haka are more and more relevant.

Might as well get used to it. Competitive advantage in business speak.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
How do you know what the Wallabies are thinking when they are facing the haka? Each individual is different and will each be thinking of different things in those moments prior to kick off. Personally, I would fucking relish the opportunity to stand, arm in arm with my team mates and face the haka. Perception is a funny thing. I doubt the Wallabies are standing mentally shaking in their boots any more than the ABs would be performing it thinking, look at these idiots just standing there, what a bunch of girls!

I'm really not sure what your opposition to it is based on. What would you prefer the Wallabies do and why would it benefit them?

im sorry I just re-read my post and cant seem to find me saying anything along the lines of "this is what the wallabies are thinking"........except for the gameplan bit and like I said if you haven't got your gameplan nailed with a minute till kickoff you may aswell go home. All ive said is this is what they should do (and that is purely my opinion)

I have no doubt watching the haka doesn't strike fear into the wallabies players nor the AB's thinking them silly just standing there, but then again I didn't say or insinuate that in any way shape or form

clearly haven't read previous posts, ive put forward several alternative options and given reasoning behind why I think they would be better

please read before you post or it makes you look very silly

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Kiap will that be the Saffer part of the English cricket team or the 3 actual English players in that team with a wee bit of talent?
Their appropriation measures don't just stop with dancing!

Understandable, though, when their own "haka" involves handkerchiefs.

iQPWMp04wlcGx.jpg

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
An interesting point raised (by a few Kiwis) is that "people want to see it", and to a point, that is probably true.
But, in Australia, we get to play the ABs more than anyone else, and we get to see the Haka plenty, and although I don't really care either way, the novelty value is much greater elsewhere, I think.
The one thing that shits me about it (and it is not so much "it" as the hyperbole around it) is having to hear TJ, Nisbo or Smuthy wank on about "Do you reckon they're looking forward to playing the ABs now, ay?" like they're all freaked out suddenly. Give me a break.
My take? Face it, stare them down, then get on with the smashing, if you can.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
im sorry I just re-read my post and cant seem to find me saying anything along the lines of "this is what the wallabies are thinking"....except for the gameplan bit and like I said if you haven't got your gameplan nailed with a minute till kickoff you may aswell go home. All ive said is this is what they should do (and that is purely my opinion)

I have no doubt watching the haka doesn't strike fear into the wallabies players nor the AB's thinking them silly just standing there, but then again I didn't say or insinuate that in any way shape or form

clearly haven't read previous posts, ive put forward several alternative options and given reasoning behind why I think they would be better

please read before you post or it makes you look very silly

With a minute till kickoff what else should you be thinking about? the gameplan? should have had that downpat a week ago, don't need to think about it. your opposite number? what better way to think about him than spotting him in the haka, going and arking up to him and thinking im going to belt that prick the second he gets the ball.

That's what you wrote and it seemed to me you were concerned with what the players were thinking about. You've also been bringing up the issue of the haka being a threat (with continued references to the throat slitting gesture) and how intimidating thing it is and how we shouldn't just stand there and "take it" so I thought you were insinuating that the opposing players were in some way intimidated or threatened. I was probably just being silly though. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
That's what you wrote and it seemed to me you were concerned with what the players were thinking about. You've also been bringing up the issue of the haka being a threat (with continued references to the throat slitting gesture) and how intimidating thing it is and how we shouldn't just stand there and "take it" so I thought you were insinuating that the opposing players were in some way intimidated or threatened. I was probably just being silly though. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

yea im concerned about what their thinking about, but again I didn't say what they ARE thinking, again its my opinion not gospel. Ive said its supposed to be intimidating gesture not that it IS a intimidating gesture, at no point in time did I say "this is intimidating the wallabies" just because someone wants to be intimidating doesn't make them the scariest fella going around.
you probably were just being silly, read the post next time and hopefully it wont happen again ;)

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
I agree it's a spectacle but it loses it's appeal when it's done for every NZ game, there's about 13 Tests each year, seems a little overkill. Much better if it was done for just the home Tests - have a little more substance to it.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Actually, what will happen is one rag such as the mirror will twist words and perhaps quote one article out of 1000 and then somehow that will be treated as gospel about disrespect etc etc.

But who gives a shit what the media think anyway? Nobody but the media I thought.
Obviously Zander!!

Me?? I as I said if it gets knocked on the head, so be it. As I said the ARU simply has to say we don't want it done, all the rest about standing there, it scaring the poor wee chaps facing it etc etc is bollocks. Like I have said regardless of what is said, even it it doesn't come around as often, I don't recall seeing a problem with Tongan, Samoan or Fijian hakas, it a little bit of a go because it an All Black or NZ thing, no probs though, just be honest!! And to be fair Zander you maybe right, I actually think the number of times it done maybe overkill, but only because the number of tests they play is probably overkill!!

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
I agree it's a spectacle but it loses it's appeal when it's done for every NZ game, there's about 13 Tests each year, seems a little overkill. Much better if it was done for just the home Tests - have a little more substance to it.

I have sympathy with this view but ironically you would probably meet a lot of resistance to this idea from the overseas Unions. Perhaps not in Australia, but spectators in countries like Wales and Scotland etc really want to see it done - it is a big part of the reason why All Blacks tests are such a money-maker over there. By contrast, I reckon the average Kiwi fan who goes to the rugger wouldn't lose all that much sleep if they didn't see it at a home test.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
cyclopath I can't get the nutbush song out of my head now, or the mental images of the Wallabies doing it as a haka retaliation, it is cracking me up. May have to break the track out when I watch the game.

When I think of Rock Lobster I just think of Peter Griffin singing it.

I'd say the French in the recent RWC, the Welsh, & the Wallaroos all had the best responses to the haka - despite the French & the Wallaroos getting fined. The Scots would have to own the ultimate retaliation as "mooning your oppo before battle" is a genuine part of Scottish culture - but I imagine they'd be in all kinds of trouble doing that one if they were game.

I understand that when it is very cold it is a bit of a disadvantage to the oppo. I don't think there is any reason a team can't just bob up & down in their trackies while they face the haka to stay warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.