• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Hickey Must go thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I thought Lawrence was spot on in asking the Tahs doc to take TPN from the field. He'd been down about six times up to that point and was clearly struggling.

Novocastrian

Herbert Moran (7)
I thought Lawrence was spot on in asking the Tahs doc to take TPN from the field. He'd been down about six times up to that point and was clearly struggling.

This was exactly the reason Bryce said he had to go - he said something along the lines of "he's gone down 5 times in a row, he has to go off".

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
A couple of years ago a young fella (18 Years) playing for a local side suffered what was thought to be a dislocated shoulder. Was helped from the field but flatly refused ambulance treatment and took himself to the showers. He died no long later from a fractured collar bone that ruptured an artery and he bled out. This sad tale is not an isolated incident.

This example proves the point that the medical professional must make decisions and advise the coach and ref that some players are not fit to continue and they must adhere to that advice in the interests of the player's safety. The Player if he objects should be told by the ref to leave the field and be treated.

For the same reasons how many times did we see Elton Flatley knock himself senseless and get up and continue, also Morty and a few others. The coach is sitting up in the stands somewhat remote from the situation and is receiving first hand the advice of the medical staff, as much as I think Hickey should have pulled TPN to protect such an asset and it was clear to all he was struggling, we do not know what Flahive told him. On medical grounds he may have been told "its only a stinger..." in which case he rightly accepted that medical advice that he could continue. The fact does however remain that on the other grounds Hickey should have subbed TPN regardless of his medical situation.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
So unless Palota-Nau was feigning injury as someone absurdly suggested above,"going down at nearly every stoppage, giving his team a rest from all that brutal defensive work," he was injured; and neither the "longest serving ... treasure" nor the referee, "he has to go off", could persuade him to leave the field.

There was just one man who could have instantly removed him, which gets us back to Hawko's original point:

I never said he was feigning injury, he merely plays a high impact game and it is entirely possible he just needed a moment to recover from all the collisions and whatnot before playing on. Fact remains everytime he takes a moment to recover, the medic seems to come on and the ref then delays the set piece or stops time, especially for a hooker as they are an integral part of the scrum/lineout. I am not condemning the practise of sending on the medic to slow the game, because it happens a hell of a lot in professional sport and i'm sure the reds have done it at some stage.

Back to the original point, if he was playing injured what's the point in keeping him on when the game is already comfortably won. Understandable in a tight game but not the other night.

Status
Not open for further replies.