• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The impending Hooper vs Pocock Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The RWC battle is between Hooper and Pocock. There is no doubt. As it stands Gill won't make the squad. BUT there is a lot of footy to be played between now and then and it will only take one injury for him to come back into frame - hence the discussion. As is the case with all of the other hopefuls.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
The RWC battle is between Hooper and Pocock. There is no doubt. As it stands Gill won't make the squad. BUT there is a lot of footy to be played between now and then and it will only take one injury for him to come back into frame - hence the discussion. As is the case with all of the other hopefuls.

Oh absolutely, I probably didn't make that clear. In my mind if one of the two are injured, it should be a tough battle between Gill and Hodgson to get on the plane, though they likely won't play much. If both are injured, it would be a truly devastating blow, but the fact that there are other stellar (though unproven at Test level) options is a true blessing. I wouldn't be nearly as comfortable losing two first choice options in any other position.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Realistically, at Test level you need either 3 very good jumpers, or 2 very good ones and another 2 competent options to have a decent lineout.

Unless you play Gill in your dual opensides strategy, you need to go with the former option. That not only means removing Palu from 8 to allow McCalman or Higgers, but more or less eliminates Skelton as an option to partner Simmons.

Leaving Fardy there not only keeps the best blindside in a canary jersey since before Elsom in the 6, but it gives the required versatility to play both Skelton and Palu in the starting 15, if cheika chooses to do so.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
So hard to split them - i like both players, but this is my who and why.

The Brumbies have for a long time played a different style of game to the Tahs, if i recall when Hooper was at the Brumbies he received allot of plaudits for his pilfering as well, however at the Tahs i believe his roll is to play more of a link to allow a wider attack, and he also appears to have the duty of tracking / covering the ball more than Poey.

So I'm not wanting to separate the 2 - my selection would come down to game plan and opposition, and example.
Hooper V AB's
Poey V Boks.
& Given that Moore becomes captain.
Bit like I'd pick Skelton against the Boks but not the ABs.

With regards to who brings the most to a game - I'd chose Hooper as it is a team sport (not to be taken outa context they are both team players), and he can add more to the players around him.

I disagree. I think both players will fit into any game-plan. They are both that good! Hooper will have a slight advantage on attack and Pocock on defense. Both WILL BE EFFECTIVE. In regards to tracking players Pocock is one of the best, he basically covered Coopers 10 channel his whole Test career, he doesn't have to do this at the Brumbies because their back-line can actually tackle, so I wouldn't say Hooper has an advantage in that area.

If your reason is to pick Hooper > Pocock is because he plays Tah-ball and is successful at it, then I would re-think. Because the strategy at the Tahs will not work for the wallabies. We don't have the same cattle and they simply cannot dominate the ruck like they can at super xv level. Yes Tah-ball is based around quick-ball and dominating the ruck - something Pocock is very good at.

We have been beaten time and time again at the breakdown by the AB, NZ, England. I would start Pocock against all three for that reason alone.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, We can try to play attacking rugby but that doesn't mean Hooper will allow us to that more effectively. We also need to minimise the opposition strengths and currently that is around the breakdown. Most of Test rugby is decided around it. Pocock could allow us to have more ball and that will give us more attacking opportunities.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
If your reason is to pick Hooper > Pocock is because he plays Tah-ball and is successful at it, then I would re-think. Because the strategy at the Tahs will not work for the wallabies. We don't have the same cattle and they simply cannot dominate the ruck like they can at super xv level. Yes Tah-ball is based around quick-ball and dominating the ruck - something Pocock is very good at.

Nah that ain't me not me, I'm after best players who play in their position, and not outa position.
I'm actually lost with all this Tah ball talk - it's playing rugby, and working out your opposition so you out play them.
As we have agreed - both awesome but different players.

T

TOCC

Michael Cheika now controls the Wallaby Facebook page... Michael Cheika also writes in third person

265025c5afc7716bfe7d9463e87d4886.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

Bobby Sands

But why cant you have an 8 thats a lineout option instead?

Gill is an adequate jumper, if you have someone like Higgers at 8 it is entirely possible and quite similar to a French backrow. I brought this up a few pages ago.

I'm not saying this will be the case for the RWC, however in future it is entirely possible / feasible that Dave will play 6.

lpd

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I guess in terms of our opposition at the rwc, the last time pocock played against england was 2010, wales 2012. Whereas hooper has played 3 times against england since that and god knows how many times vs wales. They'll know all about pocock obviously, however he isn't what they've been used to playing in a while and perhaps that could give us an edge.

Reactions: BDA

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is Gill destined for foreign climes?

it's one of the reasons he'd be my Reds captain next year. No disrespect to Slipper, but let him get back to propping and running (and enjoying rugby).

Gill has plenty of leadership experience and I think it would be another challenge for him, which I think could assist him in lifting his game (ala Horwill under Mooney).

Status
Not open for further replies.