• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mullos

Stan Wickham (3)
I don't think AFL has worse intentions than anyone else, they're just better at putting it into practice. No code can claim to be particularly charitable to the others. Take a look at the way League and Union have treated each other over the years (Player raids against amateur rugby through the 20th century; the continuing formal barriers to playing league in schools in NZ; the whole collaborating-with-the-Nazis thing in France).

Don't fall into the Mungoes hoary bile of Vichy France causing irreversible damage to Loig there, they recovered so much after the War that the Frogs are the last side to beat the MungoRoos in a "Test" series around 1970. The Mungoes also used rugby stopping in Australia during the Great War to get its tawdry foothold into Australia by continuing.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^ France did beat Australia 2-0 plus a draw in 1967-68 but Great Britain were the last to beat them in a series, 2-1 in 1970. NZ's only series victory was 2-0 in 1961, both in Auckland.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
I am surprised that you guys defend the union blokes who saddled up with the Nazis to confiscate all of leagues assets.

Just because league survived doesn't mean it didn't effect them.

And lol at comparing rugby league continuing to play whilst rugby union stopped playing to a rugby union using force to steal rugby league assets.

If anything mullos post highlights some structural problems within the rugby union fan base. Don't get me wrong league have some ninkompoops, but this guy is just a bad bad individual who lacks empathy and perspective by a long way.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Nobody defends the Vichy regime, Papabear. Nobody.

The record shows that rugby competitions stopped in Australia during the First World War, while your code managed to find enough able bodied men to continue playing.

Why weren't they doing their patriotic duty, mate?

P

ParraEElsNRL

http://www.nrl.com/rugby-leagues-anzac-heroes/tabid/10874/newsid/62370/default.aspx

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-in-a-league-of-their-own-20140423-zqyh5.html

Plenty more out there but you just continue with the lies and crap, it doesn't matter. RL won the war out here between all the codes and no amount of stamping your feet and having a tantrum or posting lies will change this fact. Oh and it is a fact seeing as the code is the youngest of the lot, it came to Australia and kicked sand in the face of the likes of you, wonderful stuff.

T

Train Without a Station

Walsh was a dual international, just for reference.

P

ParraEElsNRL

Btw, can I have a list of all these mungoball journos that write about and abuse Union players and the game each week in their supposed union bashing articles, surely you have a list seeing as you have a 36 page thread all about it?

I can find plenty of Union articles where that game isn't even mentioned having a dig at League, Unionites love to be hypocritical, Aye Pete Spitz?

So, can we have this big list of League jounos bashing Union?

You produce that list and i'll reply with my own list of hypocrites from the Union side.

I know which lot have been having a dig more and it ain't the fucking upstart, it's the establishment sport that never ever got over having the peasants tell them to fuck off.

So post you big bad list, you may get one or two League journos saying something, but most don't as they talk about the frigging game, your lot are the ones esp in Aus that need to ride on the coattails of League.

Isn't that right Pete Spitz from the Sydney Morning Herald?

T

Train Without a Station

Fitzsimons writes a general sports article discussing a wide array of sports.

On Saturday's he mentions Football, Rugby, Paul Gallen (seemingly support the NRL's fine) and then a bunch of quotes.

Oh and he has a dig at a Watmough quote, but he has a dig at any dumb quotes, so considering the amount of NRL players that make dumb quotes of course they will feature there more regularly.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
http://www.nrl.com/rugby-leagues-anzac-heroes/tabid/10874/newsid/62370/default.aspx

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-in-a-league-of-their-own-20140423-zqyh5.html

Plenty more out there but you just continue with the lies and crap, it doesn't matter. RL won the war out here between all the codes and no amount of stamping your feet and having a tantrum or posting lies will change this fact. Oh and it is a fact seeing as the code is the youngest of the lot, it came to Australia and kicked sand in the face of the likes of you, wonderful stuff.

What about AFL?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In terms of players who served, roughly 90 per cent of senior rugby union players in NSW and Queensland enlisted in WWI which is why all rugby union competitions stopped. This included around 60 Wallabies (there had been less than 150 Wallabies in total at the time Australia entered WWI).

10 Wallabies lost their lives in WWI.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Hey Eel,
Lets lose the aggression and swearing hey? We don't need to sink down to the NRlLstandards.
Why are mungos such haters?

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
to bring things back to reasonable conversation.

in regards to troops, you can't ignore the difference in impacts to league and rugby parra particularly at that distinct moment in time for sport in Australia. However reasonably you could justify that many in league were industrially based and contributed to the war from the homefront (I'm unsure).

I do feel that all codes and particularly league and the AFL have sort of used the day for marketing purposes though, and am wary of rugby going down the same road. I don't believe a day designed to revere and understand a great wartime sadness for this nation should be used to market sports games the only difference actually being the pausing and playing of a trumpet at the start of a game. Rapidly people are misunderstanding what ANZAC day is as a result of cheap ploys to make Australians feel good about themselves.

In regards to journos, I don't think any of us are that paranoid to have a compiled list of journos who attack rugby. but obviously you can track back through this thread and others around the place to see some examples. As for the codes themselves, both are under threat through their poor and limited administration (one geographically, the other socio-economically) from the two other codes and seriously risk being run down to nothing. They're not that different and people should start to think about re-unification (obviously rugby right now will be screwed first, but I would be worried if leagueys weren't worried about their game).

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Dan Ginane on Triple M asked yesterday 'Where would the Wallabies be without Folau?', implying they can't do anything without him.

Nothing against Folau, but it raises a conundrum: If a league player goes to rugby and that team succeeds, it's only because of the league player. But if a league player goes to rugby and doesn't succeed, it's because of too many players on the field (the fallacy of no space) and rugby is just a 'kick and clap' game that doesn't allow real athletes to express themselves. So there's no way league can lose in those arguments. They're false arguments, but there they are.

So -- where would the Wallabies be without Folau? Does he make the team because of his sheer NRL-ness, does he significantly add to a team effort, or is he just another creative back for the Wallabies? That answer seems obvious, unless you're Dan Ginane.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
yeah I heard Ginnane say that as well. All in all his comments re Cheika and the Wallabies were positive but his comments re Folau re borne out of ignorance as I doubt he's seen the plays that set-up his try, and he'd just seen the highlights and made his own conclusion.
To be fair the Rush Hour doesnt tend to go too far with the code wars but a bit too much is spent on the mungos - demographics I guess.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
When the Tahs won the SupeRugby final this year, for some reason Buzz Rothfield called it a lowlight of the weekend and he was glad it was over.
Still seething at an unnecessary cheap shot that simply adds fuel to my lifelong desire to see the end of mungo.

Status
Not open for further replies.