• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It was a highlights reel run though in his first ever game. Reportedly he did really well off the punt return opportunities he had as well.

I think it's a big step to making their main squad for the upcoming season which most NFL fans didn't give him much hope of a few months ago.

I wouldn't have been shocked if he made the squad back when he started training camp. I've never doubted his ability to transition as I could think of a list of others from both codes who I reckon could as well.

It's just that a big deal has been made of his break. It was good running but any good Rugby/League player could have made that run. As far as I am concerned he should make that run 10/10 times. What a lot of Aus media are overlooking is the block work that opened the hole.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Good point:

"Come see the team that Jarryd Hayne couldn't make!"
lol a good marketing ploy. I remember one story in the US commenting on last years All Blacks clash described them as World Cup winners in 2011, but lost it to the Kangaroos in 2013 haha.

But that said, I wouldn't mind having Hayne on the wing over at the wallabies... along with Greg Inglis at 13 and Jonathan Thurston at 10 and Cooper Cronk at 12.

T

TOCC

lol a good marketing ploy. I remember one story in the US commenting on last years All Blacks clash described them as World Cup winners in 2011, but lost it to the Kangaroos in 2013 haha.

But that said, I wouldn't mind having Hayne on the wing over at the wallabies. along with Greg Inglis at 13 and Jonathan Thurston at 10 and Cooper Cronk at 12.

Cronk is the one the got away from rugby union, hadn't played a game of rugby league in his life until he was signed by the Melbourne storm after he had left school.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Can't recall the players name. Big deal in USA where he was a kicker and when the opposition runners broke through after a punt kick. He was the last line and he tackled the running back. Unheard off.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Seem to remember Darren Bennett doing something similar for the Chargers back in the 90s or early 2000s?

Edit - SNAP Reg.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Mascord is a twat. Rolls out the "colluded with the Nazis!" line every fucking chance he gets, and proudly states "the 38 other countries" shit when he remembers how to count that high.

Yet, the "great game" he supports appears to be limited to almost-was status. People who support rugby union here bitch and moan that we're not popular enough, but they make the same mistake of comparing themselves to the NRL, when both sports should just move straight past that and forge away on their own merits.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Mascord is a twat. Rolls out the "colluded with the Nazis!" line every fucking chance he gets, and proudly states "the 38 other countries" shit when he remembers how to count that high.

Yet, the "great game" he supports appears to be limited to almost-was status. People who support rugby union here bitch and moan that we're not popular enough, but they make the same mistake of comparing themselves to the NRL, when both sports should just move straight past that and forge away on their own merits.

I love the Vichy/Nazi argument. A perfect example of cherrypicking facts for the sake of a whinge. It overlooks that the Nazi's banned Rugby in Germany and that the Vichy issued a blanket ban on all professional sports in France not just League.

I only skimmed the article but I get the impression he thinks Hayne will be a watershed for League in the US. First of all, he's getting publicity in the pre-season. Once the season starts that will die down. It's typical League mentality. "They'll see it and fall in love" while overlooking that what it really requires is boots on the grounds and thousands of volunteers giving up both time and money to the note of thousands of hours and millions of dollars annually to grow the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.