• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The League Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I hope the interesting points he makes are not any of these:
half of our sport's name is being appropriated by union.
Seriously? What was our game called prior to 1908?
And I thought this one was a corker:
They colluded with the Nazis to ban us in France
"They" being an apparent reference to "rugby union" when, in fact, it should be confined to the Vichy for whom no one has a good word.
He proposes taking the USA place by place, concentrating on places that don't know much about either league or union. He suggests starting in Bay Area - Australia played the USA at Berkeley in 1912. The Wikipedia entry for Northern Californian Rugby Union suggests more than a few clubs in the area - including school teams: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_California_Rugby_Football_Union

So this must have been one he whipped off while looking for the Cheers bar in Boston.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I suggest you read a bit more about French rugby union history. Start with Dine.

Rugby League was a professional sport. The Vichy banned professional sports. I'm not defending Rugby but those arguing from the League perspective like to sell it like they were the only sport to receive that treatment. They were not.

I find it odd that many whinge about assets being seized when you consider that much of those assets jumped to League after the French were ejected by the 4N for dirty play. A lot of them also jumped back once France was re-admitted.

This period didn't kill League in France. They were still a force into the 60s. Poor administration and development hurt them more than anything else.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I hope the interesting points he makes are not any of these:

Seriously? What was our game called prior to 1908?
And I thought this one was a corker:

"They" being an apparent reference to "rugby union" when, in fact, it should be confined to the Vichy for whom no one has a good word.
He proposes taking the USA place by place, concentrating on places that don't know much about either league or union. He suggests starting in Bay Area - Australia played the USA at Berkeley in 1912. The Wikipedia entry for Northern Californian Rugby Union suggests more than a few clubs in the area - including school teams: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_California_Rugby_Football_Union

So this must have been one he whipped off while looking for the Cheers bar in Boston.

Appropriated their name. Are you kidding me?

It also shows an alarming ignorance of the Rugby landscape in the US. Northern California in which the Bay area forms its epicentre is one of the strongest Rugby areas in the country. If Mascord by chance frequents this forum (wouldn't surprise me) I'd be glad to provide him with a run down of the development of Rugby in the States. I actually know quite a number of people at its forefront.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The ease with which Hayne was caught will be a little bit of a concern but even though it was a great hole made by the line - and the lead blocker did a great job with 2 blocks right at the line - it's still encouraging to see how well he's adapted in even finding and seeing that seam. His left foot step was nice as well and if he gets a chance to put a good fend in, they will go nuts over it.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The ease with which Hayne was caught will be a little bit of a concern but even though it was a great hole made by the line - and the lead blocker did a great job with 2 blocks right at the line - it's still encouraging to see how well he's adapted in even finding and seeing that seam. His left foot step was nice as well and if he gets a chance to put a good fend in, they will go nuts over it.

He has good footwork so that should help mask that. Should be interesting to see where he ends up. Not sure he's suited to the halfback role. Perhaps fullback.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

He got clipped on the way through and was lucky to stay upright. I thought he did pretty well considering, though his kick-off returns were more impressive IMO.

I'd love to see Hayne make the roster, and the Aussie media go bananas over the three touches he will get a game as the Niners go 4-12.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
He got clipped on the way through and was lucky to stay upright. I thought he did pretty well considering, though his kick-off returns were more impressive IMO.

I'd love to see Hayne make the roster, and the Aussie media go bananas over the three touches he will get a game as the Niners go 4-12.

I think he will. I just don't know if it will be as a first stringer.

Miggie

Allen Oxlade (6)
Most of that is wrong. Like I said, read Dine and educate yourself about what happened in France involving both codes of rugby. It is not flattering to us no matter which way you cut it.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)

It was a cornerback that eventually got him so that won't be too much of concern given how quick those guys are. The two keys were that he got past through the line of scrimmage and then beat the first defender in a one-on-one situation. What happens after that is just a bonus.

Miggie

Allen Oxlade (6)
I see. I am a sheep in wolf's clothing because I point out that a noted rugby writer demonstrates that the posts on the subject just above are rubbish!

Which parts of Dine's writings do you have issues with?

T

Train Without a Station

Unless time travel has been invented, I'm still not sure how this applies to current Australian Rugby fans. Neither I nor certainly anybody I know assisted with the situation in Vichy France.

Btw the publication is not called "Dine". That's the author.

Miggie

Allen Oxlade (6)
I have the book. I know what it is called. It is you that needs to go and read it.

Or do you wish to comment on it?

Miggie

Allen Oxlade (6)
Great to see that the blinkers are well and truly on here. No wonder rugby is struggling so much in this country.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The point is being well made though.

This is not a case of us. Rugby union doesn't have some deep seated history in fascism throughout the world.

It is a footnote in the story of one country's rugby bureaucracy. It has zero relevance to any Australian rugby union fan or realistically any rugby union player, fan or otherwise in 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.