• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Luke/Fluke/Puke/Vloek Watson Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
A lot have been said and write about his qoute but the real manuscript of his speech at Ikeys (University of Slaapstad) at a rugby clinic.
www.sport24.com
While the word ?Dutchmen? does not appear anywhere below, Watson allegedly used the word in a question-and-answer session after making his speech.

??, your aspiration, your attitude, they are characteristics and qualities we have within our ? God gave us those to make us who we are - I?m going to take three of those of these many characteristics and how we can transform who we are in person and who we are inside, because true transformation starts with that.

?I want to take attitude: What is your attitude towards others? What is your attitude towards yourself? and what is your attitude towards ? Whether we like it or not we have been given an opportunity that our forefathers have not, they took an opportunity that was not theirs to take, they bled and they fought for that on the field, and here we stand today reaping the benefits of the seeds they sowed, here we stand today on the hill, looking back at the victorious battlefield behind us, having shed no blood ourselves. So what is your attitude towards who you are, towards others and towards where you want to go? Your attitude needs to be one of hope, ?. an era that had no hope, we have been given hope and we need to recreate and ?? the culture of hope for generations to come, we need to see the bigger picture and realise that the here and now is not just the here and now, but the here and now only exists of those who went before us and because of those who are still to come, there is a bigger picture, whether you like it or not - me having to wear the Springbok jersey, to keep myself from vomiting on it, because there is a bigger picture, because men and women have bled for me to get there - did I ever want to be there? No, it?s never been my dream, but I chose this burden with the greatest of pride and satisfaction, knowing that my father Cheeky Watson laid down his life to get me there, knowing that Zola Yeye laid down his life, Archie Mkele, legends from the Eastern Cape where I grew up, known as my uncles and my fathers, knowing that they fought for me to get here, and that my job is to bear the burden and carry the torch of hope - once you have dealt with the nature of the inner man and once you have gained perspective and realised it is not about you, but it starts with you, you are the one that has to pay the price and the sacrifice so that others may benefit, but don?t think what?. because that has been going on for many years, that true heroes and legends may stand up, so I?m fighting not for myself, but for a greater cause,

?The second part of transformation is a change of form, what is ?, your output, your structure, the whole, the nature, the innermost part, form comes down to one thing, that is the truth, truth - ultimate truth is boundaries, is definitions, and limits, ..change..and form ,?., to understand your form and who you are, you have to understand the truth, you see ladies and gentlemen, the beauty about truth is that truth? truth is down to what you want to be. Apartheid, apartheid was the most righteous thing they could have done, that was the truth the white man chose to believe, the Bible, it supports apartheid, it supports the KKK, it supports all these white extremists, because that is the truth they chose to believe, that is the perception they have in the world - I remember growing up in high school saying I want to be a professional rugby player, and even now I?m of small stature compared to the other big boys, back then I was of even smaller stature, my teachers back then, I can even remember them by name, look at me in a way that said: ?you will not make it? - because that was their perception, but my truth was different to their truth, my reality was different to their reality, because of my perception, because I looked past and I saw the hope in the future ? I went past the here and now and realised that there was a bigger picture,

?Let me talk about truth, we can decide our own truth, we can decide what is wrong or right and what we stand for, the inner man, once we?ve dealt with our nature, once we?ve harnessed the potential, the passion that we have, and instead of having this raging fire, we have a pinpoint laser that gets to the heart of our enemies with one shot, once we?ve harnessed that and used that and our form begins to mould around that, then we get to the purpose and the passion that is within,

?I would like to say about perception and transformation, that?s a very similar thing, I always want to change your perception, and you I want to change the way you think, look at me differently, you might think Luke Watson is arrogant, he?s this, he?s that, he?s controversial, he looks for attention, you might think that, if I spend my life trying to change the way you look at me, I will waste my time in this place and I will achieve nothing, but I tell what, I?m not going look at what you see, I?m not going to try and change your truth, I can?t change the way the world sees me, all I can do is change the way I see the world, I can?t change your perception, what I will do is change my perception and I will believe my truth, and not the truth that you believe, so all of a sudden your reality means nothing to me, the fact that you think I?m a loser, the fact that you think I can?t make it, the fact that you think I?m from a disadvantaged background means nothing to me, my truth tells me that I will make it, my truth says that my father made it, so it is genetically hidden, ?..

?The final point, we?ve spoken about transformation, this term that we throw around, transformation in South African rugby, the final point about transformation, you need to change your nature, you need to change your form and now you need to change your appearance - your nature is that inner man, your form is the outer man and your appearance is beyond that, it is the beyond, because your appearance now is what they see when they look at you - appearance by definition: the way that something looks or seem, the way he appears, they way others see it, you say now because you?ve transformed your inner man, you?ve transformed who you are, now all of a sudden appearance becomes the ???? of your transformation, appearance becomes when you put that transformation into action, when you step out your boat and begin to walk on the water, when you look at the ? and say that the waves have got nothing on me, because I believe that God has me here for a purpose, that there is a bigger picture and there is a plan, so your appearance, once you?ve dealt with the inner man, once you?ve dealt with your form, the third aspect of transformation is the way you walk and the way you talk, is the way you seize this opportunity, is the way you grab it with both hands and you say: ?This is my day, this is my hour, this is my war and my battle, and no one is going to take this from me, transformation is the vehicle to your destiny, I?m not throwing some political twist to this transformation, I?m not saying transformation of South African rugby, I?m not saying transformation of the man next to me, on my left or on my right, I?m saying transformation of Luke Watson, because when I?ve transformed, when I?ve pushed on, when I?m alive, when I?m reaching for my destiny, the man next to me he will automatically get upset, the man next to me automatically gets uncomfortable, he looks at me and say: ?There is something different about this man, there is something different about Luke Watson, he cant be bought - I can?t throw the Springbok jersey at him and expect him to beg for it, to catch on his knees, because it is not going to happen? - because my heart, my soul, my very being, was stolen many years ago, by a cause far greater than my own

?When my father came home one day and said: ?Luke, I want you to know, that where I?m going, I risk it all, I might lose you, I might lose your sister, I might lose your mother, you might lose me, I?m risking it all? - I said: ?Dad why?? - he said: ?Because I can, because I have the potential, because I have the ability, but in spite of everything, I have the vision? - that was a man with a purpose, it was one of the most defining moments of my life,

?I?m sitting in Wellington last year, Super 14, a reporter comes up to me, he says: ?Luke I interview your father Cheeky Watson about 20 years ago and I asked him: ?Cheeky, why are you doing this? And Cheeky looked at me, and this is the defining moment in my life, when I got respect for him. he said: ?Luke you father looked at me and said: ?the reason I am doing this, is so I can look my son in he eye one day and say I made a difference, I stood up when others ran away, I faced the enemy when cowards fled, so I can look in the eye of my son one day and say: ?I?ve made a difference.?

?Destiny is on your doorstep, I don?t care who you are or where you come from, tonight is an opportunity to grab hold of this message of transformation, to go forward - because we are so quick and easy to point at others and say why are you not transforming, have you transformed within yourself, are you creating hope, are you creating opportunities, are you creating a world for others that they can live, that they can be great in their own names and their own sake ? are you creating that world and opportunities

?I stand before you as a man, that I can honestly say I?m transformed, it has taken many, many valleys, many, many mountains to get there - but before you transform, realise there is a bigger picture - I sat with my father, last year in the Springbok camp, I was in the hotel, I said: ?Dad, I?m leaving. This place is despicable, it?s disgusting. The men won?t talk to me, they won?t greet me, the very coach won?t greet me, they walk past me, I sat at a table by myself, they wouldn?t eat with me, because I was a political pawn? -

?But yet, Danie Craven has stadiums named after him, Danie Crave, the very man that said a black man will never play for the Springboks, he?s got stadiums named after him, he?s got traditions [tournaments] in honour of his name, statutes erected, but yet I?m a political pawn, the little white boy in the corner, that sits with his mouth shut eating by himself.?

?My father said: ?Luke, unpack your bag.? - I said:?Why?? - He said: ?Too many people, Luke, have bled, so that you can be here, whether you play or not, your very presence symbolises victory, symbolises a step forward, symbolises us coming up against South African rugby, an institution that is rotten to the very core

?Tonight I say to you in closing, you get two types of men in this world, men that when they are confronted by a mountain that their god would move the mountain on their path through, men of great faith, but then you get the second man, who .looks at that mountain and says ?God give me the strength to climb to the top so that I may see but you,.?

?What type of man are you? Are you a man that?s hungry for greatness, hungry to confront that giant of the mountain today or the man that is looking for the easy route?

?I stand before you, I?m looking for giants??

Myself a Dutchman and also one of the biggest WP/Stormer/Springbok supporter on planet earth have wrote this reply in SARugby.com
Dear Luke

Before I start just a bit of a back ground from where this one come from.

Dont worry about the name Dutchman because we can take that, think you may not take the one we use to call your lot.

Our Dutchman will never be shy of our past because thats one thing you never can control. You can however control the future and to control the future it just may serves you to look a bit at the past and klap all the good things in one basket and chuck away the bad things to try and make this place a better one.

So not only the Bok jersey you want to kots on but also the WP & Stormers jersey mean a lot to the Dutchman living in your Slaapstad town and also in Paarl. This place is a wonderful place and myself call it a bit of heaven. This is the place where kitchen Dutch was put onto paper and we are a lot of diverse people around here. Just ask your national Springbok coach Peter or is it Pieter all about it. We are passionate about two things around here, rugby and relegion. Altho from two camps in the past , to go futher we rather try and took hands and walk the walk together.

Myself have a 10 year old boy and was one of your biggest admirers. Well he sort of change two years ago in George. If you remember well the 7s tournament we were sitting behind you Stormers squad and you fill in "hot&horny.com" on the question form about the 7s tournament. Your big friend Skeate was sitting next to you and you look like a arrogant big headed arse and looking like the pavillion is yours. That while your Dutchman Stormers team mate Schalk Brits look like a nice guy and even chatting to us normal rugby supporters and evn share a word with kids that still dream about wearing the Springbok jersey. Well this kids and my family lost all the respect we had in a few minutes.

But as religion people we can forgive and only want one thing from yourself as a player wearing that WP/Stormers or Springbok jersey. Show your mettle on the field of play and leave the dirty politics at home. Thats the one we want from you, we want Luke the rugbyplayer not Fluke the politician.

and by the way, your dad have done the right thing those days but so did Doc Craven. Doc was a Sap if my memory serve correct and was the first one to stand up against PW and held talks with the ANC long before FW was even in the picture. That qoute you talked about was that he have no power to go against what you guys called the Apartheid Regime.

Well those things happen in the past and heres hoping that your dad and his fellow politicans dont make the same mistakes our Dutchman voorvaders did.

From the BIGGEST WP/Stormers/Springbok rugby supporters on planet Earth

PaarlBok

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Baie goed gese, my Oompie. Baie goed gese.

To explain to those who're not familiar - SAP = South African Party, Smuts' party; the guys who the Nats got out to get in. The anti-Nazis, including guys like Sailor Malan, the man who founded the Springbok Legion to fight the Nats.

Posted this elsewhere, but it's worth repeating; it's worth pointing out that when SA was re-admitted to international rugby, this guy was nine. When the struggle ended, this guy was eleven. When SA won the RWC with Nelson Mandela in a Bok jersey, this guy was twelve.

Now, all things considered, I rather think that, in the midst of CODESA, the township wars, the fun and games on the East Rand, at Boipatong and Bop, KZN erupting into three-way warfare, the Constitutional negotiations and that fuckwit of fuckwits Terreblanche crashing his bakkie through the building where CODESA was ongoing, despite overcoming all of that and leading SA to the most vanishingly unlikely of miracles, a democracy instead of a civil war, the leaders of the struggle weren't going, as they stood on the steps of the Union Buildings watching Mandela being sworn in as president, "You know what, that's all fine and dandy, but we'll never know we've defeated apartheid until that snot-nosed arrogant little shit of a white kid comes to our rescue..."

What a world-class self-abuse expert.

J

Jury

I think some of the reactions to this article have been OTT. In saying that this guy's ego knows no bounds. As someone else commented elsewhere, if the jersey is good enough for Nelson Mandela to wear, then it's good enough for this egomaniac. Seriously ... this guy's egocentricism is astonishing.

M

Mainlander

Jury said:
I think some of the reactions to this article have been OTT. In saying that this guy's ego knows no bounds. As someone else commented elsewhere, if the jersey is good enough for Nelson Mandela to wear, then it's good enough for this egomaniac. Seriously ... this guy's egocentricism is astonishing.

Thought the article of what he said wasn't as bad as everyone's making out, looked like an attempted by someone to do an inspirational speech... and failed miserably, Christ if I'd been present I'd have dozed off after the first couple of sentences. Bit to arty farty for me (and the way it went round and round for Luke as well).

And sorry PaarlBok I'd have filled in "hot&horny.com" or some other rubbish as well, God I hate forms, specially ones with dumbassed questions.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
That form wasnt compulsory it was sending around the spectators. Think the baddest part was the one not in the qoute but in the Q&A part and this is where he qoute having to stand back for a Dutchman in the team which point to Schalk Burger. Myself more or less the same age as his dad and remember all quite well. Schalk Burger (snr) played those days for EP ' the same province his dad played for. Anyway when it come to our politics I can take them on but I wont because the past is the past and we'll have to concentrate on the future.

My worries are : Who is going to support him in the future? Myself a dad with kids and I can assure you the first thing we taught our kids from U7 is that rugby is a teamsport and the individual dont counts but the team. Myself taught my one to respect that jersey he plays for, to bleed for it. If he dont respect it why did he play with it. Pretty sure thats the way Schalk & Jean were taught and how the fuck they will ever want to share a team with this guy is unthinkable after this.

Then there is Snor. On current form I cant see him making the Bok team on form. If Snor pick him I know there is something wrong.

Look I know more about him then most because he had a long relationship with Rob Louw's model daughter. I asked him about Luke and he have a high regard for Luke as a person. Rob also the classic Slaapstad soutie (Wynberg Boys)playing for Maties. I also ask him why? He went to Maties because Doc Craven invite him there because Doc was a Sap and identify Rob at a early age. His tantrum towards Doc Craven dont make any sense at all.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Jury said:
As someone else commented elsewhere, if the jersey is good enough for Nelson Mandela to wear, then it's good enough for this egomaniac.

That's my gut feeling about the whole Luke and mates vs Springbok emblem.

Surely, from that day in 1995 forward, there was real hope for reconciliation. New flag, new anthem. The whites have to sing the black anthem and vice versa. The team is called the Springboks and that's OK.

I don't know Luke Watson from a bar of soap, but I reckon him and a few guys from SARFU should have a good think about what Madiba was trying to accomplish with that gesture. In my opinion, you don't undo Madiba's good work lightly.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
You lot may still value Madiba Magic but thats long gone in our politics. Mbeki took over and also look on the out. The current state is very uncertain with the MBeki vs Zuma war current on the go. Myself think it look like the ANC is look like cutting in two. Lekota alread did the ANC divorce and was sack by the ANC yesterday.

Myself hate to mix sport and politics but in SA no way it will ever happen. I felt in the past Hoskins (rugby boss) should have stand up more against the Stofiles. He left Jake White in the cold. He was obvious scared he lose his job vs Stofile in March and thats where the breakthrough came for the genuine rugby nutter. Heres hoping he'll take more a stand against the politicians. He already look like making a strong statement regarding the Bok emblem. Afterall I have no idea why rugby have to listen to Komphela and Stofile the politician. Rugby is a business on their own and dont receive government funding. Think they recieved something like R120,000 in 2007.

The sad thing about SA Rugby is that you have to monitor the political stream to sort of get up to date with the rugby one. So nevermind Luke or the past its about the future. The split in the ANC and the way it will take rugby forward. The Springbok already a important cock in the pre election hype. Komphela & Stofile & Watsons want to have their names in the history books for the murderer of the mighty Bok and thats what its about.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
In short thats more or less the bigger picture he is talking about. :nta: Think SARugby have move on but myself are worried about Snor. Where he fit in this picture. Not sure if he is a Hoskin or Watson man. Have serious doubts about that. I knew for a fact he share the platform with Watson in Paarl before the Springbok squad was announced. I also did not like when he played the race card when that sex car stories appear and I know Hoskins qouted when he was appointed the whys when he got the job. Then again he could have picked a totally differnt Bok team but decided to go on where Jake White left. Myself like the way he want the Bokke to play and I do know for a fact that he go out of his way to spend time with the barefoot rugby. Saw him attending Paarl Gym Prymary School rugby matches. Also know he is more friends with the Brute lot then WeePee but also have a nice bond with Maties. Maties gave him work when he ran out of jobs.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Lukey
http://photos-b.AK (Andrew Kellaway).facebook.com/photos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-snc1/v342/141/70/727781197/n727781197_1322025_9371.jpg

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Re: Luke Watson & the Bok Emblem

Decided to change the name, now Khomphela decided to join in the puke.
Cape Times
'I also want to vomit on Bok jersey'

The National Assembly's combative sports committee chair Butana Komphela says he too feels like vomiting on the Springbok rugby jersey and is not going to apologise for his view.

Komphela was reacting to a video clip in the stepped up campaign to drop the Springbok, which shows apartheid-era rugby supremo, Danie Craven, questioned about whether a multi-racial side would also be called the Springboks.

"We, as the Springbok team, would not like to lose our identity, because the Springboks have always been associated with whites, the leopard, again, has been associated with the blacks. No one wants to lose his identity," Craven replied.

Komphela said this was why he believed that the Springbok was a symbol of "white supremacy" and should be culled once and for all.

Craven's infamous comment, and some of the messages posted on websites in favour of the retention of the Springbok emblem, was enough to make him want to back controversial flanker Luke Watson's strong feelings of disgust.

"I also feel like I want to vomit on the Springbok jersey," Komphela said.

On why he was prepared to wear the Bok jersey at the World Cup last year and even wanted to address the squad given his abhorrence, Komphela said that when a South African team went abroad "as a leader of the country you can't demoralise and rubbish them".

However, the Bok remained a legacy of apartheid and needed to be destroyed.

Komphela said he believed there was a witchhunt against Watson, who had already been tried and judged in the media, as well as by some rugby officials before he was even charged, given that Durban lawyer Dekker Govender, had yet to indicate whether Watson should face an inquiry.

Watson is the son of activist and former star rugby player Cheeky Watson, who has been vocal about the need for the emblem to go.

A transcript of Luke Watson's speech on transformation at the Ubumbo Rugby Festival shows that he did not refer to "Dutchmen", although it is claimed he did so in a question and answer session.

His views on vomiting on his rugby jersey also appear to have been taken out of context.

Komphela said comments on television and radio by SA Rugby's head of legal affairs Christo Ferreira was an example of how Watson's case could not receive a fair hearing, if he was eventually charged with a breach of the SA Rugby Union's code of conduct.

Ferreira told reporters if Watson was found guilty, he could face a wide range of sanctions that varied from a reprimand, warning, suspension or a fine of up to R100 000.

Komphela said he had complained to Ferreira, SA Rugby CEO Johan Prinsloo, rugby boss Oregan Hoskins and Judge Lex Mpati, who chairs the union's National Judicial Committee.

Although it was expected that Govender would report back to SA Rugby yesterday, a spokesperson said there were no developments.

A letter written to Govender by Ubumbo Rugby dated October 14, stated that nothing "derogatory or defamatory" was said by Watson when he addressed the UCT based-society 11 days earlier.

Nor could any of what Watson said be construed as racist speech or justify "a disciplinary hearing against this man", the group said.

Ubumbo also asked Govender to "stop badgering and harassing our members".

Govender could not be reached for comment on Wednesday, but an Ubumbo executive member, Lelethu Ntontela, said some members were young businessmen "who cannot afford to receive numerous phone calls at their work stations - and this was done".

Ubumbo believed there was something "sinister" in the Watson saga, including the way his speech was unlawfully recorded and reported on. "You will note by the Ubumbo letter that these discussions are always of a private nature. The only one to have ever received media coverage is Mr Luke Watson, therefore the feeling is there is something very sinister here."

Ntontela said reporters were definitely not invited and the society had a fair idea "who the person responsible for this illegal recording may be".

Acting sport minister Ngconde Balfour said last night that, given his acting capacity, he did not have the power to force the South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (Sascoc) to comply with a sports indaba resolution that the Springbok should go by the year-end rugby tour.

This was Sports Minister Makhenkesi Stofile's competency, Balfour said.

Moss Mashishi, the head of Sascoc, wrote to Stofile this week requesting a copy of the resolution and also asked for direction on how to handle the issue

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
a) Komphela is an incompetent arse, and freeloader of note. He's not taken seriously by anyone, including the ANC, and nothing he's ever spouted on about has ever happened. Fuck him.
b) Ubombo is a black club, as far as I remember. So whoever recorded it was, more likely than not, black. So introducing a racial element there is horseshit.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Find this one and think it give us a look in the future:

The First Real Test Match
1 April 2014
Luke was strangely excited. The game against Kenya promised to be a close one and with the government's new official policy of "participation over triumph" (or Pot) there was no real pressure on the team. He supported the concept of Pot even if 'uncle Mike Stofile' had been laughed at when he had once declared to a press conference that the game of rugby had now officially gone to Pot. The change-room at the Zola Yeye Stadium in Pretoria (formerly Loftus Versfeld) was full of players all resplendent in their black, yellow and green striped jerseys. Luke felt a sense of pride as he slipped the jersey over his head, the official jersey of South Africa's representative rugby side the Gironkey's. The new emblem had been as much a personal crusade for the Watson's as their earlier opposition to segregated rugby back in the 1970's. In the interests of democracy a vote had been held to determine which animal best summed up the values and positioning of the new transformed side and with a dead heat between the Giraffes and the Donkeys a new brand had been born - the Gironkey. Luke, just as his father had predicted, was the first captain of the Gironkey's and at last the bitter memories of playing with Dutchmen and wearing the despicable Springbok badge could be washed away.

In the private suite that overlooked the brown dying grass of the stadium the President of the South African Rugby Board, Mr Cheeky Watson looked on with pride. The attendance had begun to swell as kick off approached and he was sure that local support now outnumbered the fifty fans that had made the journey down from Nairobi. The game was being televised after the late night porno's on E-TV for maximum exposure and the sponsors Vodacom would be thrilled that attendance was at last into triple figures. The destruction of rugby and more importantly of the Springbok had been a difficult task but the personal sacrifice would be worth it. He was thrilled to be presiding over the first official test match between the Gironkey's and Kenya. Up for grabs was a spot in the B section of the All Africa Cup where the winners could earn promotion and hopefully join Namibia as the automatic entrants from Africa at the 2015 World Cup in New Zealand. He personally would have opposed the IRB resolution that stated that the 2011 World Cup Winners should be allowed to defend their crown on home soil but the takeover of SA rugby had taken a few years longer than expected and he had taken over the Presidency later than expected.
Cedric Frolich flopped into the leather chair alongside Butana Komphele. He was dressed in a dark suit and sporting the new Gironkey tie, "It's a big day Boss," he said almost casually.
"Indeed, at last we have a rugby team that is representative and will not be despised by the majority of the population."
Frolich surveyed the empty stands from his seat in the private suit, "It would be nice if the P.o.e.p.h.o.l.e. would come and watch the game" he said deliberately using the new politically correct acronym for previously offended ethnic population happy over legislation enacted.
"It's a bad day to draw a crowd," said Butana, "there is an important soccer game on today between Bafana Bafana and the Vatican, they are playing to see who will be ranked 372nd in the world."
"Is the Pope playing?" asked Frolich who had never understood how Bafana Bafana continually battled to win games, there were no whites in the team and as he always pointed out unlike rugby soccer had secured the sponsorship of South Africa's only remaining bank Malema's.
Komphele ignored him, he was too busy studying his copy of the Zuma Times, "Tell me Cedric," he asked "do you think there is any money in the game of Jukskei? I see there are still whites playing Jukskei. Maybe we need to get involved."
"Maybe," said Frolich counting the number of white players listed in the official match program to ensure that the allowed quota had not been exceeded. "Tell me boss. Is Luke white or not these days?"
Johannes Jacobus Hermanus van Tonder had lived across the road from Loftus all his life. He refused to call the stadium Ye Ye Park just as he refused to accept that Kirkness Street was now called Bob Mugabe Crescent. He was looking forward to the rugby and as he paced the lounge floor he was visibly agitated. "They will call Hannes," said his wife without looking up from her knitting. She was busy making a tea cosy using green and gold wool, her husband's favourite colours.
"Ja but what if the game is in Parys again or in Randfontein. It's a blerry far drive and kick off is in less than an hour."
Sanet van Tonder was about to re-assure him when the phone rang. Hannes grabbed it and without saying a word held it to his ear. The voice on the other side was a familiar one, "Bulls Cheetahs in Midrand. Kick off is at three o'clock'" said the recorded message.
Hannes grabbed the keys to his bakkie from the coffee table and blew Sanet a kiss, "Vrou, I am going to watch the Bulls play," he said as he slipped out of the front door.
Sanet smiled, since real rugby had been banned and forced to go underground her husband had lived for his weekly dose of rebel rugby. It didn't matter that the venues were kept secret until the last minute or that fixtures were arranged by a secret committee, what mattered more was that Hannes would not have to be at home a stones throw away from his beloved Loftus on the day that Luke Watson the Captain of the Currie Cup Champions the Eastern Cape Vomit lead the Gironkeys in their first official test. She had managed to obtain a copy of the 2011 SA Rugby Annual which she would give to Hannes for his birthday it was the last official source of Springbok Rugby and as a result it would soon become a collector's item.
Desmond Thubela was the official Gironkey selector. It was a rather unique position and one that he was extremely honoured to hold. He strode into the dressing room just as Luke Watson was finishing off his motivational talk with the team. He did not hear all of the captains words but the talk of seeking Giants and of Zola YeYe and Cheeky Watson laying down their lives really moved Desmond. He looked across at coach Joel Santana who nodded at him with a smile. Desmond liked Joel and fully supported his mission to become the first coach to lead the same country to disaster in a soccer and a rugby world cup. "Gentleman," said Desmond, "could I have your attention please, it is time to verify the selections."
A hush fell over the Gironkeys dressing room.
Desmond took out the paper he had been printed earlier in the day and spoke in his most officious voice, "Ok. As of this morning black people account for 72.22 percent of the population and we will therefore field 11 black players today. Whites your allotment is 2 players. Luke as agreed you are white this week so Jones drops to the bench. Coloureds and Indians as per the statistics Booysen and Jakkalas will start the game with Naidoo coming on for one of you at half time. Finally as this is a test match there is no official government requirement for us to include any disabled persons or woman so go out and do your best and remember the motto winning is not everything if it was Jake White would still be the coach!"
Luke Watson had never felt more proud than he did at this particular moment. He was about to lead the Gironkey's onto the field for the first official test match since the abolition of the Springbok. It did not matter who won, it had never been about winning. This was the culmination of decades of sacrifice and hardship. He was even looking forward to the initiation ceremony after the game. He personally had never been initiated during the time when he had been forced to play for the Springboks. He had heard that the old Springbok initiation ceremony had been nasty and barbaric but together with his dad he had planned a new one that they would introduce after the game. As everybody was playing their first test for the Gironkey's they would all be initiated together. They would start with a game of ring a ring of rosies and then after vomiting on the old Springbok badge they would all recite the name of the Watson family dog before reciting the Gironkey Motto - Lukas Kleinas Kakas which translated from the Latin means 'size does not matter'.
Luke was quietly confident about the game. He did not know much about the Kenyan side they had kept to themselves and trained in secret and had even shunned press conferences. Their team bus had blacked out windows and the players had all worn hooded tracksuits when they arrived at the ground. He guessed they were perhaps embarrassed to be the first opposition of the Gironkey's whose replacement of the Springboks had not gone totally unnoticed in world rugby. Luke made a mental note to make them feel welcome- after all he was quietly confident of a victory.
In the Kenyan dressing room the team captain looked at each of his players as he spoke. They had not trained for this game, in fact their Visa's and citizenship had come through at the very last minute but now it seemed that their plan was also coming together. The captain spoke in a slow deliberate voice "Boys today is the day. Today we will have revenge. Today we will not only win against the Gironkey's we will annihilate them." As they walked out of the dressing room Victor smiled at Bakkies, who nodded to Fourie who in turn winked at Schalk and Bismark. These Kenyans were ready and every one of them identified with the teams new sponsor whose name was embroidered on their jerseys - Dutch Man Lager - brewed in Holland.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Luke Watson off the Sarfu hook
702.co.za
Watson off the hook
Controversial rugby player Luke Watson is off the hook after a South African Rugby Union disciplinary hearing ruled in his favour on Tuesday.

The ruling was a result of an inquiry into alleged statements made by Watson concerning SA rugby and the Springboks.

He was charged with contravening rugby?s code of conduct but he said that the hearing found that the constitution regulations of SARU gave no basis for the charges against him.

He said that he was delighted with the result but sorry that SARU saw fit to obtain unauthorised and incomplete cell phone recordings without identifying the informant.

Watson also attacked the actions against him saying he deplored the incompetence surrounding the pressing of charges which he said were null and void from the outset.

Status
Not open for further replies.