• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Moana Pasifika Franchise

The Moana Pasifika Franchise

• Gone in 2 years

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Very Cool

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Why the FUCK does NZRFU have to bankroll this bullshit?

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Will get the dregs of The Auckland Blues

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • may as well just call it "The Southern Kings"

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • "Players will come back from million $ Toulon contracts to play for free in bumhole Papatoetoe"

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • This team will kick arse

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Gone in 10 years

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Least NZ Rugby could do after years of harvesting islands for talent.....

Votes: 23 44.2%
  • .....Straya not exactly innocent there.....

Votes: 13 25.0%

• Total voters

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This will be interesting if it can be got over the line:

"Moana Pasifika and World Rugby are in game-changing talks that would make the new Super Rugby outfit the ‘capturing’ side for the Samoa and Tonga test teams, fending off potential raids from the All Blacks and the Wallabies for young players who come through their pathway."

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Don't know much about the others but Stowers & Lam are quality players. Good signings both & Lam probably part of the leadership group.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Looks serviceable squad. Probably favourites for the wooden spoon but about getting going and no doubt will improve squad over the years.
Think they could well battle with Drua for wooden spoon to RN, but as you say squad will improve over the tears , and for both teams I thinking. I think they are light on tighties to be too competitive, but not sur of who else they got coming on.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Seems light because a lot of guys getting Super Rugby for the 1st time, however I think there would be PLENTY of NPC playerswho would translate to becoming Super Rugby players FAR better then many of the club players and u20s being lifted into Aussie Super Rugby teams.

Remember they are trying to crack into NEWZEALAND teams, where they have to go from U20 to NPC, do that for a few years THEN maybe get a shot with a Super Rugby team.

I think alot of these guys would happily hold spots within professional squads in Australian.

I think they will be the worst NZ team but knock off several Aussie.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Seems light because a lot of guys getting Super Rugby for the 1st time, however I think there would be PLENTY of NPC playerswho would translate to becoming Super Rugby players FAR better then many of the club players and u20s being lifted into Aussie Super Rugby teams.

Remember they are trying to crack into NEWZEALAND teams, where they have to go from U20 to NPC, do that for a few years THEN maybe get a shot with a Super Rugby team.

I think alot of these guys would happily hold spots within professional squads in Australian.

I think they will be the worst NZ team but knock off several Aussie.
Could be a good point when we stop and think that young Parata at 10 has just got his first start at NPC.
I would imagine they would also have at least as many players with Super experience as the Drua too.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Understand that mate, not knocking Drua, love what they doing, just commenting on probable playing strength.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
From Moana Pasifika;
Lolagi Visinia & Danny Toala have been in electric form for the Hawke’s Bay Magpies & will be joining us next season!
⚡️

Seriously good signings, both with super experience, how the hell the canes let them slip through, especially Toala!!:mad:

still great for Moana Pasifika!

Last edited:

Tazzmania

Ted Thorn (20)
Another huge signing with Visinia, he is a big unit, strong and quick, has been outstanding for Hawkes Bay.

Some very tidy pick ups for Moana Pasifika, especially from Hawkes Bay.

I think they may be a bit more than just competitive when they play the Australian Teams.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Especially interesting I find is 6 of MP (Moana Pasifika) players so far are from Hawkes Bay, team that top of NPC, so speaks to me of there being some good recruiting going on. Not absolutely sure these fellas are going to be the bunnies that some have indicated they think they are.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Another huge signing with Visinia, he is a big unit, strong and quick, has been outstanding for Hawkes Bay.

Some very tidy pick ups for Moana Pasifika, especially from Hawkes Bay.

I think they may be a bit more than just competitive when they play the Australian Teams.

It’s a big step that requires more than just quality players. It’s an awesome start though, especially given the awkward lead up to the franchise.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Especially interesting I find is 6 of MP (Moana Pasifika) players so far are from Hawkes Bay, team that top of NPC, so speaks to me of there being some good recruiting going on. Not absolutely sure these fellas are going to be the bunnies that some have indicated they think they are.
I would be first to admit my fear is despite lack of super rugby experience of players for MP (Moana Pasifika) and Drua they finish above a couple of oz sides. The old depth in kiwi rugby circles issues.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I would be first to admit my fear is despite lack of super rugby experience of players for MP (Moana Pasifika) and Drua they finish above a couple of oz sides. The old depth in kiwi rugby circles issues.
If either team finsih above any Oz or kiwi sides in first year or two, I consider it to be a pretty successful start for them.
It’s a big step that requires more than just quality players. It’s an awesome start though, especially given the awkward lead up to the franchise.
I understand that mate, and don't disagree, just think if you starting with 6 from top NZ provincial tea, it makes for a reasonable start.
Don't misunderstand me, there is no way I expect either team to be competing to win in first 2-3 years, as we have all seen in past it takes a while to get going, just picking up the odd win to start with would I think make teams happy. I actually wondering if MP (Moana Pasifika) may not be a bit stronger of the than Drua, I know they have been written off in here a bit, but I think have recruited very well.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
If either team finsih above any Oz or kiwi sides in first year or two, I consider it to be a pretty successful start for them.

I understand that mate, and don't disagree, just think if you starting with 6 from top NZ provincial tea, it makes for a reasonable start.
Don't misunderstand me, there is no way I expect either team to be competing to win in first 2-3 years, as we have all seen in past it takes a while to get going, just picking up the odd win to start with would I think make teams happy. I actually wondering if MP (Moana Pasifika) may not be a bit stronger of the than Drua, I know they have been written off in here a bit, but I think have recruited very well.

We will see soon enough. It would no longer surprise me to see these guys surprising.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Interesting is number of kiwi born players in the MP (Moana Pasifika) squad. Hopefully the idea of allowing up
to 3 ABs in MP (Moana Pasifika) team means if any of those players get good enough to represent ABs does not mean they have to move to kiwi franchise. And more so hope this rule is pilot for considering applying same rule to any Super Rugby side. As I advocate more franchise model that allows establishing franchises across Asia pacific to grow the game but allow this sort of flexibility to create more even balance across the team’s / footprint. It would also provide a model to grow the game in other regions eg say Singapore team joined that they could have up to x wallabies or ABs in the team.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Interesting is number of kiwi born players in the MP (Moana Pasifika) squad. Hopefully the idea of allowing up
to 3 ABs in MP (Moana Pasifika) team means if any of those players get good enough to represent ABs does not mean they have to move to kiwi franchise. And more so hope this rule is pilot for considering applying same rule to any Super Rugby side. As I advocate more franchise model that allows establishing franchises across Asia pacific to grow the game but allow this sort of flexibility to create more even balance across the team’s / footprint. It would also provide a model to grow the game in other regions eg say Singapore team joined that they could have up to x wallabies or ABs in the team.
I actually posted something interesting about setting up franchises in the Asia/Pacific on the 'Unexpected Places' thread regarding talks about a Chinese backed team featuring the core of the national team playing in NZ (says a provincial competition so I'm thinking Heartland) in the near future. I'm not saying that this should be the evolutionary goal here. But it certainly is interesting.