• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Moana Pasifika Franchise

The Moana Pasifika Franchise

• Gone in 2 years

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Very Cool

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Why the FUCK does NZRFU have to bankroll this bullshit?

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Will get the dregs of The Auckland Blues

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • may as well just call it "The Southern Kings"

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • "Players will come back from million $ Toulon contracts to play for free in bumhole Papatoetoe"

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • This team will kick arse

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Gone in 10 years

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Least NZ Rugby could do after years of harvesting islands for talent.....

Votes: 23 44.2%
  • .....Straya not exactly innocent there.....

Votes: 13 25.0%

• Total voters

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And probably winning games against rebels, force (ok and tahs)
Don't know who they will beat, but I think from what I seen of teams, that I respectfully may disagree with Rebel Yell and few other posters and early pick would have MP (Moana Pasifika) ahead of Drua, even if it simply because they got players who are experienced in Super level!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Couple more boys with Tongan heritage from the Mako, both have brothers who have or are still playing for the All Blacks as well as the Mako
Powerful Tasman Mako hooker Samiuela Moli and exciting outside back William Havili, will join Moana Pasifika for the 2022 season.

Also former NZ U20 halfback:
New Zealand Under-20 halfback Manu Paea has secured his first Super Rugby contract with Moana Pasifika.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
They are putting together a stronger team than I expected - well done to them.
You and me both Bandar, I didn't think they would get together this class of players. Their main weakness maybe in tighties , and perhaps a little bit of depth, but certainly a surprising good roster I think.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
MP (Moana Pasifika) players out & about today delivering Christmas hampers to Pasifika people including those isolating at home either with Covid or as a close contact of someone with it, Christian Lealiifano sharing media duties with Sir Iceman.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
good to see MP (Moana Pasifika) and Drua both keeping the tradition of blue jerseys alive in Super Rugby… would hate to be able to pick them all apart
A95D78EC-C9A1-46A5-B221-3ECAEB2002A8.jpeg

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Also Waikato 5/8 D'Angelo Leuila who a lot of people in these parts believe the Chiefs should've snapped up at least on a WTG contract. Both only injury cover at present but obviously in the mix when injuries start happening.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I pleased that Lauila got a gig of some kind with them WOB. He is what I thought was what the team was about, and has play7ed for Samoa.
Mind you I think he may of got looked at early, but I thought his best stuff was late in season when most spots were taken.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Much aroha to our friends up in Tonga esp but Tongans everywhere following the tsunamis that hit yesterday.

RNZAF sending a plane up today* to assess what needs to go up on the relief flights, I'd imagine RNZN will send the support ship that was built specifically for this kind of event & I'm sure ScoMo will have RAAF and/ or RAN on the scene asap, too.

* Edit: tomorrow.

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Got to say given how much progress League made in establishing competitions in Tonga, Fiji and Samoa getting the PI teams in to Super Rugby has to be the right long term move. Reading that something like 13% of NRL players are of Tongan heritage (that may be PI heritage so will need to check) is setting of the alarm bells. As is recent success of Tonga etc in international leg of league.

Yeh heavily bias but rugby better product with better international product but definitely with progress league made and continues to make in expansion rugby can't rest on its laurels. To me that further highlights short term thinking of Northern Hemisphere to block the world rugby league concept.

Anyhow I digress but hope MP (Moana Pasifika) and Fiji do well and leads to in future separate Tonga and Samoa teams as well as Fiji team in Super rugby but baby steps.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
MP (Moana Pasifika) play Tribe in a pre-season match at FMG on Friday night.

Fundraiser for the Tonga volcano/ tsunami appeal - unfortunately there's no crowd allowed so presumably it'll be "TXT 1234 to make a $10 donation" and/ or "go to the givealittle page & give what you can".