• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Moana Pasifika Franchise

The Moana Pasifika Franchise

• Gone in 2 years

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Very Cool

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Why the FUCK does NZRFU have to bankroll this bullshit?

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Will get the dregs of The Auckland Blues

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • may as well just call it "The Southern Kings"

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • "Players will come back from million $ Toulon contracts to play for free in bumhole Papatoetoe"

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • This team will kick arse

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Gone in 10 years

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Least NZ Rugby could do after years of harvesting islands for talent.....

Votes: 23 44.2%
  • .....Straya not exactly innocent there.....

Votes: 13 25.0%

• Total voters

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
A good start for these lads:
20220204_103626.jpg

Im not sure if this side s*cks or the Kiwis are too good again. Probably the second one and we have to pray for the Aussie sides this year, just like the last seasons...

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I wouldn't take too much out of it, their first game together, and a Chief's team that looks ok to me. I not expecting a lot from them in first year (or Drua) as actually having played at this level makes a huge difference.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I am unconvinced that a trial with that score line will have achieved a whole lot for MP (Moana Pasifika).

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sir BeeGee mentioned that 70% of the squad are new to this level of footy & I think at least a few are straight out of Club or schools so it's a steep learning curve. Maybe the enforced bubble environment they're going into could be a real silver lining for them. The last thing we need is for them to be another Sunwolves or God forbid Kings.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Sir BeeGee mentioned that 70% of the squad are new to this level of footy & I think at least a few are straight out of Club or schools so it's a steep learning curve. Maybe the enforced bubble environment they're going into could be a real silver lining for them. The last thing we need is for them to be another Sunwolves or God forbid Kings.

Strangely enough "may as well just call it "The Southern Kings" "has only 8.5% of the vote. Can only wish MP (Moana Pasifika) all the best and fingers crossed that big leaps are in front of them.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I am unconvinced that a trial with that score line will have achieved a whole lot for MP (Moana Pasifika).
Purpose of a trial is to get some practice of combinations etc ahead of start of the season. I don’t think hence avoiding a trial because of the score line is right way to go. They need to see what playing a top super rugby side is like and yeh scoreline probably reflects the gulf and what will happen in super rugby. Better to get that reality check now.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Purpose of a trial is to get some practice of combinations etc ahead of start of the season. I don’t think hence avoiding a trial because of the score line is right way to go. They need to see what playing a top super rugby side is like and yeh scoreline probably reflects the gulf and what will happen in super rugby. Better to get that reality check now.

I hear you RN. I'm just not sure sure what combinations get any real practice here - certainly not D. Nor attack really. It's a bit aof a training park day for the Chiefs so a minor chance to run combinations in action, not much better than the training park though.

Look it's just one trial in pre-season. Hopefully it end up meaning nothing.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I hear you RN. I'm just not sure sure what combinations get any real practice here - certainly not D. Nor attack really. It's a bit aof a training park day for the Chiefs so a minor chance to run combinations in action, not much better than the training park though.

Look it's just one trial in pre-season. Hopefully it end up meaning nothing.
I infer you are concerned what the scoreline might do to MP (Moana Pasifika). Again as a trial I suspect not much.

Reactions: dru

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
With 70% of the squad new to this level of footy I think you make it pretty clear they will be this seasons whipping boys. Got to start somewhere but gees sounds like they will need to continue to recruit well in coming seasons

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
With 70% of the squad new to this level of footy I think you make it pretty clear they will be this seasons whipping boys. Got to start somewhere but gees sounds like they will need to continue to recruit well in coming seasons
I actually think Drua will find similar situation as aren't they basically the team that played NRC a couple of years back? I hope not, but anyone who thinks new teams walk into comp looking like they will must have have fairly short memories, as WOB says Sunwolves , Southern Kings, and I seem to recall WF and Rebels looked pretty scrathie in first year or two. As I have said being caught in the NZ part of super until TT may be fairly painful for them for a little while.
Actually when the camera was on coaches box I wondered if Filo Tiatia was having a sense of deja vu, as I seem to recall he was assistant coach of Sunwolves when they started.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
At least the Drua have some combinations. I think they’ll be better than Pacifika. They probably should have swapped pools.
I think yes Fiji will have easier time of it and I think will be a little more competitive against oz sides (or at least the weaker ones). As you say Reg they will benefit from more combinations. Not expecting Fiji to make final 8 but also would not be surprised if they perform better then expected. But realistically with step up to super rugby I expect them to be cellar dwellers for first couple of years but in say 3-5 years could well be one of the top clubs if they can retain local talent and lure more Fijians back home from Japan and Europe.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Confirmation by way of OIA requests that Sport NZ provided the necessary $4Mn underwrite to secure MP (Moana Pasifika)'s licence plus a $500K operating grant, a $1Mn establishment grant that doesn't need to be repaid & a $3Mn loan facility. In today's Hurld but paywalled.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Confirmation by way of OIA requests that Sport NZ provided the necessary $4Mn underwrite to secure MP (Moana Pasifika)'s licence plus a $500K operating grant, a $1Mn establishment grant that doesn't need to be repaid & a $3Mn loan facility. In today's Hurld but paywalled.

That's great work from NZ.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Similar to Aus Govt ‘sponsorship’ of Drua, NZ are just a lot less transparent and vocal about opposing ’foreign’ influence in the region.