• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Moana Pasifika Franchise

The Moana Pasifika Franchise

• Gone in 2 years

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Very Cool

Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Why the FUCK does NZRFU have to bankroll this bullshit?

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Will get the dregs of The Auckland Blues

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • may as well just call it "The Southern Kings"

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • "Players will come back from million $ Toulon contracts to play for free in bumhole Papatoetoe"

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • This team will kick arse

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Gone in 10 years

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Least NZ Rugby could do after years of harvesting islands for talent.....

Votes: 23 44.2%
  • .....Straya not exactly innocent there.....

Votes: 13 25.0%

• Total voters

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
After giving the Cantabs B team a bit of a fright in week 1 the MP (Moana Pasifika) have now won their first ever match in RD 3 by tipping over the Canes. Despite ref Bazza Pickerill spending the entire 80 minutes just making shit up.

Not going to ask how long it took dopey franchises like the Sunwolves etc to win their first ever games.

MP (Moana Pasifika) with the big boomfa defense and keen ruck contestations.

Big ticker.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
2 years later and it's the teams first ever game in the islands. What an historic occasion. Look at the heaving stands, packed to the rafters with............. crickets.

There's no one fucking there.

WFT is going on.

Oh, it's a Friday afternoon and everyone's at work. Yeah that'll look good on telly and augur well for the continued funding and future of the fledgling franchise.

FFS what a cock-up.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Was wondering how Moana's record stacks up against other expansion teams - only looked at the Aus ones so far:

Force 14th of 14 in debut season then 7th, 8th, 8th & 13th. Highest-ever finish 7th in 2007, their second season.

Rebels 15th of 15 then 13th, 12th, 15th & 10th. Highest-ever finish 9th (2018).

Might look at some of the others - Sunwolves & the myriad SA ones - tomorrow but I suspect I'll find a similar pattern.

Food for thought for the "shut them down" proponents on here, perhaps?

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
Was wondering how Moana's record stacks up against other expansion teams - only looked at the Aus ones so far:

Force 14th of 14 in debut season then 7th, 8th, 8th & 13th. Highest-ever finish 7th in 2007, their second season.

Rebels 15th of 15 then 13th, 12th, 15th & 10th. Highest-ever finish 9th (2018).

Might look at some of the others - Sunwolves & the myriad SA ones - tomorrow but I suspect I'll find a similar pattern.

Food for thought for the "shut them down" proponents on here, perhaps?
I would not advocate for their removal at this stage but the lack of engagement with the communities the team is supposed to represent as well as the treatment of Aumua despite assurances that it wouldn't be a 6th feeder team into the All Blacks seem bigger issues to me.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They will never not get the spoon. I don't see a comparison to the Force or Rebels early seasons because these guys are literally getting every single reject rather than most.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The reality is, it's not us who are advocating for their removal. It's the risk of the concept being a failure that sees World Rugby to remove their funding because it's not meeting the original intent of promoting rugby in the Pacific islands like Tonga and Samoa, World Rugbys contribution is a significant sum of money at $1.3 million a year that MP (Moana Pasifika) will need to find elsewhere if they are to continue operating.

Rugby really needs for MP (Moana Pasifika) to be successful given the increasing weight of effort that the NRL is placing on spreading into the Oceania region, and right now it's not meeting that requirement.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep and as WOB pointed out they have had 27 os squad have played for Tonga and Samoa in last year and that is surely their brief. I think there was hope some of top players from around world maybe tempted to come back, but money really talks louder. I would hope a few will drift back as they finish contracts up north?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
New Zealand Super Rugby teams sign another star player from the Moana Pasifika team.... #Pathways

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
That's farcical.

"We don't even have to go to the islands to poach players anymore, Moana do all the legwork and bring the new recruits right to our doorsteps for us! Thank you, Moana Pasifika!"

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
That's farcical.

"We don't even have to go to the islands to poach players anymore, Moana do all the legwork and bring the new recruits right to our doorsteps for us! Thank you, Moana Pasifika!"
Well not quite, he' was a in Highlander's squad (as injury replacement) before MP (Moana Pasifika) and he a Tasman player. I will add not sure he much of a pick up, he couldn't crack Fijian squad or anything, he hardly a player who is going to make a huge difference to MP (Moana Pasifika). But good rant anyway.
See the Clan have also picked up a 10 from Wales, which will be handy.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Tana confirmed for a three-year term 2024-26. No mention of Coventry or any other coaching staff but I guess that'll be drip-fed over the next little while.
Tana talking of a few players from Samoa squad suggeting they wouldn't mind playing for MP (Moana Pasifika), said he had to gauge their seriosness etc.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
My big prediction is Moana will not exist in 5yrs time. Unfortunately the team seems to be based on an ideology and not geography. I’d be surprised if Tana was the best coach available but wouldn’t surprise me if he was the best available under the checklist of things someone must be to qualify for the job.

Look at the Drua, everything they have done is to produce the best players. An Englishman as chairman, an Aussie as coach, both with zero Fijian heritage. They play in the area they represent, etc.

With their 2 best performing players choosing to play for another Super Rugby team, I think it shows players don’t believe they will become better players there. It would be different if they were chasing big dollars overseas because there would be an obvious financial incentive, but presume it’s for similar dollars elsewhere.

I think we will end up with someone like Taranaki as the 6th kiwi team, with perhaps a Tongan or Samoan team in the NPC.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
World Rugby will certainly review their funding commitments towards Moana Pasifika if they feel it’s it being misused or not being utilised as initially intended. If that happens, the financial viability of MP (Moana Pasifika) will be questionable.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
My big prediction is Moana will not exist in 5yrs time. Unfortunately the team seems to be based on an ideology and not geography. I’d be surprised if Tana was the best coach available but wouldn’t surprise me if he was the best available under the checklist of things someone must be to qualify for the job.

Look at the Drua, everything they have done is to produce the best players. An Englishman as chairman, an Aussie as coach, both with zero Fijian heritage. They play in the area they represent, etc.

With their 2 best performing players choosing to play for another Super Rugby team, I think it shows players don’t believe they will become better players there. It would be different if they were chasing big dollars overseas because there would be an obvious financial incentive, but presume it’s for similar dollars elsewhere.

I think we will end up with someone like Taranaki as the 6th kiwi team, with perhaps a Tongan or Samoan team in the NPC.
Unless they are playing at least half of their home games in Samoa or Tonga, what's the point? Better off giving Mako a shot

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
World Rugby will certainly review their funding commitments towards Moana Pasifika if they feel it’s it being misused or not being utilised as initially intended. If that happens, the financial viability of MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika) will be questionable.
World rugby only put money into MP (Moana Pasifika) and Drua for first 3 years anyway, so it finishes this year.

6:58 am on 25 March 2021
World Rugby has agreed to spend more than $7 million over the next three years to support the establishment of two new Pacific Island Super Rugby teams.

And either MP (Moana Pasifika) or Drua losing players was never going to make a difference anyway

Drua are losing another 2 players this season to overseas clubs too, from getting exposure. We are absolutely green if we think players are going to stay with either Drua or MP (Moana Pasifika).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Seven-Test Tonga rep & current Crusader Sione Havili-Talitui has signed for two years.
I think that's good news, the players that are wanting to play for Tonga and Samoa heading there to play.And a genuinely good bloody player! Good stuff!!
I hope they pick up a couple more decent ones after WC.

I guess we going to have a post going crook about poaching though!!