• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The MR Summary

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Writing this all in one go as I don't have the time this week to go through thread by thread and reading, commenting on all. Anyway, here's to it...

First up, congratulations on the biggest stuffed if I know how that happened victory I have ever seen! The Boks stuffed you in all facets of the game, apart from one. And that is scorecard. The Wallabies showed real game, set, match, championship winning heart to take out that game, and I tip my hat to them. Especially one David Pocock. All greats, past present and future, have game defining matches. I thought 2 players did in this game, with Burger being the other. Both were absolutely immense and outstanding. It's rare you get to see players doing as much as both of these did, let alone in the one game. A real treat.

This site has plenty of Richie detractors for various reasons and that's fine. But anybody who lauds Pocock and then calls Richie a filthy cheat is out of line. Alot of what he did was well within the rules, but jesus chris, hands in the ruck, wrong side of the ruck... it was time after time after time. I can't blame the Yarps for being filthy. But that is rugby, so all power and fair play to him.

I usually leave refs and ref-bashing to others, but Lawrence certainly didn't have his best match. I will leave it at that.

As for us, well it was good to get a workout, although we are going to need to step up big time to beat your lot. The usual suspects stepped forward, and we simply ran the Argies out of puff. But they showed real heart, courage and skill in tehir game plan and must be applauded. They are a welcome addition into the 4 nations, the Argentinan game can only prosper with regular games against the 3Nations. It's only a matter of time before they beat us for the first time - I'm very glad it wasn't in the world cup though!!

Onto next week, well you guyse walking on air after that victory. I am very happy to see Cruden in the game and Slade out. I rate Cruden, and he'll at very least give it a go. He'll either capitulate or excel and the winning or losing of the game could be on the back of it. I see the confidence talk has started up again from a few angles - good on them, you are a young team which is bullish on itself, fair play to them.

I'm not going to make a prediction, as frankly, I'm a bit too scared to! I want us to win this match more than anything, but in managing my own expectations, I am fully expecting us to lose. IT depends on how much you have left in the tank after last weekends bruising encounter. Which you can counter of how much have we once again really been tested in this world cup?

All I know is that it's going to be a great match. My phone will be off, twitter will be shut down and the wife will be sent out of the house. I think she has about a 50% chance of coming home to a broken TV... Good luck to you guys as supporters, but I can't wish good luck to your team (for obvious reasons).

Kia Kaha, All Blacks.

MR.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm not going to make a prediction, as frankly, I'm a bit too scared to! I want us to win this match more than anything, but in managing my own expectations, I am fully expecting us to lose. IT depends on how much you have left in the tank after last weekends bruising encounter. Which you can counter of how much have we once again really been tested in this world cup?

All I know is that it's going to be a great match. My phone will be off, twitter will be shut down and the wife will be sent out of the house. I think she has about a 50% chance of coming home to a broken TV... Good luck to you guys as supporters, but I can't wish good luck to your team (for obvious reasons).

Classy as always MR. :thumb

I'm concerned that we're going to be too bruised and battered to get back up again next week. Ours was a torrid affair and it will have taken it out of the boys; it will be a real test to see if they can find it in themselves to get back up again.

I respond in kind to the above bolded text; hopefully this weekends game will be a cracker.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm concerned that we're going to be too bruised and battered to get back up again next week. Ours was a torrid affair and it will have taken it out of the boys; it will be a real test to see if they can find it in themselves to get back up again.

Maybe the Wallabies should head back to Hamner Springs for a couple of days!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Haha good summary MR. Agree with pretty much all of it.

Can't wait for this weekend, both games will be great. How good is the World Cup, particularly when Australia is still there!!

And when all teams that are left have the capability of using all their players, not just 1 to 10.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Only bit i disagreed with was the walking on air: I've never seen more realistic assessments of our prospects than I've seen this week. And that when the Blecks are in real trouble with injuries.
If the forums reflect the Wallabies attitude then we'll certainly give it a nudge

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Good summary MR. At the elite level of sports there are only so many big games you can play in a row. Mentally the Wallabies will be drained after the QF and ditto physically. With all the technical troubles we had against the Boks you'd think that fixing them would be the key items to redress but it is the draining that has to be managed most.

I can't recall a Wallabies team winning a game playing only 24% of it in the opponents real estate. The Bok team of 2 years ago would have thrashed us but this team, with most of the same players, could not. If the All Blacks play 76% of the match in the Wallabies half we will be slaughtered. Our boys will just have to remember how they played in the 1st half in Brisbane when the Kiwis had no answers and replicate that effort.

It is well that Kiwi fans are nervous about us. We have won 2 of the last 3 games against them and but for that egregious try by McCaw in Sydney last year, it should have been 3 out of 4.

Kiwis may also be aware of RWC history:

- 1991 - Oz beat NZ in the SF
- 1995 - SA beat Oz in a pool game
- 1999 - Oz beat SA in the SF
- 2003 - England beat Oz in the final
- 2007 - SA beat England in the final

The pattern? The eventual winner beat the previous winner some time in the tournament - and Oz beat the Boks on Sunday.

Also - the score in RWC semi finals is Oz 2 NZ 0.

That doesn't matter now? Correct, but I just felt like writing it.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
I really have no concerns that the Wallabies will be drained after having had two very easy finishing matches in their pool. The Boks offered up a very physical Qtr-Final, but the Wallabies will lift enormously. If anything, I see them being more tuned than NZ. Whichever side emerges from this week's contest may need to spend a few extra minutes on the massage table to recover some muscle elasticity but I'd expect their legs to fire in a Final.

The NZ psyche may or may not be more fragile in this 2011 WC knockout stage (history certainly suggests it has been at this time) and it's impossible to know until the night whether they will rally or collapse around the misfortune that has afflicted their 10 position. I think they will play hard like all NZ teams, but no harder than they could have played with Carter or Slade in that spot. One thing, I am sure of is that Cruden cannot have the same grasp of the AB attacking arsenal and game plan with so few minutes in camp. His smaller frame and boot cannot operate at the same level defensively. With the stakes and a home NZ crowd's expectations pressured so high on Cruden, (NZ crowds can drain the life out of players who make a mistake; ask Donald or even Slade), I just can't see how NZ can perform at the same high level with Cruden running the show at 10, irrespective of his running game. He can't be that comfortable.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Well, let's agree on this. Whichever bastard team wins on Sunday, the supporters of the losing team have an obligation to the rugby gods to suck it up, shake hands and congratulate the other team's supporters. Sure, we know Richie / Dave will cheat, sure we know the ref is biased, but let's do our best to accept whatever the scoreboard says as the best team on the day.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Well, let's agree on this. Whichever bastard team wins on Sunday, the supporters of the losing team have an obligation to the rugby gods to suck it up, shake hands and congratulate the other team's supporters. Sure, we know Richie / Dave will cheat, sure we know the ref is biased, but let's do our best to accept whatever the scoreboard says as the best team on the day.

I'm just hoping that NZ'ers are bellowing more loudly about what a "premeditated cheating bastard" Pocock is. I want the front pages of their newspapers to scream "Cheat" with a photo of Pocock with hands in ruck as he enters from the side and Joubert's hands and whistle in his pocket.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Stone cold proof that you've never met me fella!!!!

I have met him and can attest that he is a good bloke in person. Watched the opening Bledisloe in '06 with him HK Phooey, Toots and Snowy - all the latter of whom post on tsf in a bar in HK. Watching the Wallabies get reamed was painful but it was made bearable by the good nature of the Kiwi boys (which may very well have been quite different if they had lost.....)

Status
Not open for further replies.