• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The one and only Wallaby Coach thread

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
You can cross Deans off the list...

But the 64-year-old was happy to offer some suggestions for RA and whoever they appoint as next Wallabies coach.

“You turn up for work, think about your players, think about your playing group. It’s a player game,” Deans said.

“There’s not enough people thinking about the fact that it’s a player’s game and not enough people thinking beyond their time, beyond their term.

“Leadership is looking beyond where you are in any given moment.

“You’ve got be building to go somewhere beyond where you are.”

And this is why I was a huge advocate of Rennie's. He was always building & cognizant of the future and had a coherent plan even if Wallabies fans couldn't see it. Sure he didn't get automatic results but he was always a pragmatist who (unlike Eddie) kept a very measured approach with a clear strategy leading towards the 2023 World Cup.

Last edited:

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
And this is why I was a huge advocate of Rennie's. He was always building & cognizant of the future and had a coherent plan even if Wallabies fans couldn't see it. Sure he didn't get automatic results but he was always a pragmatist who (unlike Eddie) kept a very measured approach with a clear strategy leading into the 2023 World Cup.
Ah yes, the master plan that no one can actually explain that involved winning 38% of your games for 3 years

Someone needs to tell Rassie and Andy Farrell they are doing it all wrong by winning all those games

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Ah yes, the master plan that no one can actually explain that involved winning 38% of your games for 3 years

Someone needs to tell Rassie and Andy Farrell they are doing it all wrong by winning all those games
You don't understand tomthumb. You just couldn't see it. But it was a very coherent plan.

He was always building and being cognizant of the future by picking a 35 year old ten who hadn't played test rugby for six years.

Rennie fanboys never fail to produce a chuckle. Their capacity to shunt effusive praise for him into seemingly any topic is incredible.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
You don't understand tomthumb. You just couldn't see it. But it was a very coherent plan.

He was always building and being cognizant of the future by picking a 35 year old ten who hadn't played test rugby for six years.

Rennie fanboys never fail to produce a chuckle. Their capacity to shunt effusive praise for him into seemingly any topic is incredible.
Rennie was only a few points off having a 71% win ratio due to the sheer amount of narrow losses & also bear in mind Rennie had the toughest fixtures of any Wallabies coach since McKenzie. No tests against minnow nations.

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)

No one things Rennie was the saving grace and a master coach but the results and % prove he completely outcoached jones
And yes I would take a 35 year old 80 test match Cooper who won back to back tests v SA in 2021 over 2 young players who were completely out of their depth in international rugby and one barley a super rugby player
Do Donaldson and gorden even know the rules? They kicked out of their 22 out on the full and failed to find touch on penalties
I would take loosing to Ireland and France by 1 point over in Europe with over 20 players missing rhen loosing to 40 by a 9th placing wales side

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Look, DR wasn't setting the world alight, but there at least seemed to be a semblance of structure.

Hindsight is wonderful isn't it. At the time, I was wanting to see it work seeing as we had such dismal performances with DR, I did wonder at the thinking behind sacking a coach one year out.
I didn't see any improvements only saw EJ (Eddie Jones) smash the Wallabies and grab all hope from the fans.

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
Rennie was only a few points off having a 71% win ratio due to the sheer amount of narrow losses & also bear in mind Rennie had the toughest fixtures of any Wallabies coach since McKenzie. No tests against minnow nations.
Exactly jones would be 0% if not for a World Cup year
He wouldn’t have even got off the board

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
No one is…

But it’s pretty clear that firing Rennie a year early was the wrong decision.
No.

It was the wrong decision to hire Eddie Jones. As Wales and England proved, firing an underperforming coach a year out isn’t a problem, you just have to get the hire right

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Ah, so now we’re dealing in hypotheticals…
I’m unsure if this is an Eddie joke, Because as you know, he doesn’t deal in those

But seriously, no, we are talking about two seperate decisions

Were wales wrong to sack Pivac? He had the same win record as Rennie and won a 6 nations and a triple crown

Were England wrong to sack Jones? He beat Rennie in a test series last year and drew with NZ

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Wow, all the way to the Quarter final!? Hang the banner!

Eddie is a coward that failed miserably, but he wouldn’t have got the job in the first place if Rennie actually had a plan that involved winning games every now and then

I’m happy to admit Eddie was a failure, you’re the one trying to pretend Rennie is Rod McQueen for some unknown reason

I'm saying he was a much better option than Rennie, and they made a big mistake getting rid of him before the World Cup.

Last edited: