• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The one and only Wallaby Coach thread

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Ah yes, the master plan that no one can actually explain that involved winning 38% of your games for 3 years

Someone needs to tell Rassie and Andy Farrell they are doing it all wrong by winning all those games
Only a plain simpleton would judge Rennie by his win percentage, the facts are McKenzie and Rennie were statistically BY FAR the most misfortunate & luckless Wallabies coaches of the modern era - they had the toughest itinerary of fixtures, the most unlucky officiating - and just staggeringly bad luck with injuries to key personal at the worst times.

You only need to look at the back end of McKenzie's tenure when he was so decimated by injuries to frontline players that he was reduced to calling up guys like Nathan Charles, Laurie Weeks, Joshua Mann-Rea, James Hansen, Paddy Ryan, Jake Schatz and Sam Carter for his RC squad in 2014, and McKenzie was also cruelly denied the Grand Slam due to incompetent officiating versus England in 2013.

Last edited:

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Only a plain simpleton would judge Rennie by his win percentage, the facts are McKenzie and Rennie were statistically BY FAR the most unluckiest Wallabies coaches of the modern era - they had the toughest itinerary of fixtures, the most unlucky officiating and detrimental injuries to key personal at the worst times. You only need to look at the back end of McKenzie's tenure when they were forced to field guys like James Hansen and Sam Carter against the All Blacks in 2014, and McKenzie was also cruelly denied the Grand Slam due to incompetent officiating versus England in 2013.
As Bill Parcells used to say:

“You are what your record says you are”

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I want us to move away from our messiah complex when it comes to coaches. No one person is going to save us and there's no shortcut to success here.

Hire Dan McKeller and surround him with steady experienced heads. I'd love to see Joe Schmidt in there. Simon Raiwalui lives in Brisbane and you'd be mad not to call him. Laurie Fisher is another one, as is Andy Friend.

Don't give me an individual, give me a team of coaches.

But Barbs, how will we hang all our hopes and opprobrium on people if we don't have a single target?

More seriously, yes agreed. When we've been successful, we've had good coaches in the club and provincial set ups and a well aligned coaching team in the national side.

Bernie or McKellar, with Lord Laurie and others and a coordinated national approach from the Super franchises. There are no quick or easy fixes here, but I'm utterly convinced that with the young guys coming through that we can get significantly better than we are now.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
A loss is a loss.

If you lose by one point against Ireland and France, then that shows you will most likely beat teams like Wales. And that showed with Rennie.

If you lose 30 -40 points against good teams, then that shows you'll struggle against lower ranked teams. And that showed with Jones, we lost to Wales, fiji, and were celebrating wins against Georgia lol.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
If you lose by one point against Ireland and France, then that shows you will most likely beat teams like Wales. And that showed with Rennie.

If you lose 30 -40 points against good teams, then that shows you'll struggle against lower ranked teams. And that showed with Jones, we lost to Wales, fiji, and were celebrating wins against Georgia lol.
Get over Rennie FFS. Even if we scraped into a quarter under him it doesn’t fucking matter. We were going no where under him.

It’s easy to sit back now and say we coulda done this or that. Who gives a fuck? It’s about how we can move forward. Neither Rennie or Jones will be a part of that. So the constant need to bring everything back to Rennie is pathetic

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Get over Rennie FFS. Even if we scraped into a quarter under him it doesn’t fucking matter. We were going no where under him.

It’s easy to sit back now and say we coulda done this or that. Who gives a fuck? It’s about how we can move forward. Neither Rennie or Jones will be a part of that. So the constant need to bring everything back to Rennie is pathetic
Dude, you're the one saying a loss is a loss, and i just explained why that's bs.

And if we did make the Quarters that would be a bloody good thing. You enter world cups to go as far as you can go. Not prepare for the next one lol.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)

We lost to NZ by 3 points though, so that must mean we were good in your bizarre world of mental gymnastics

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Dude, you're the one saying a loss is a loss, and i just explained why that's bs.

And if we did make the Quarters that would be a bloody good thing. You enter world cups to go as far as you can go. Not prepare for the next one lol.
Your only objective at a World Cup is to win. We didn’t.

If we don’t win it we have failed and we have to get better.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
That was one game, the Ab's were resting their players and didnt look like they cared. How did the other games go against the best teams?
Funny how you put a caveat on this game, but make no mention of Ireland playing with the 3rd string 10 & Scotland without Finn Russell

You just pick and choose which excuse to make to fit your narrative

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Funny how you put a caveat on this game, but make no mention of Ireland playing with the 3rd string 10 & Scotland without Finn Russell

You just pick and choose which excuse to make to fit your narrative
Missing one player? Wow. I can't be bothered looking through the teams, but im sure we were missing at least one player too.

You do the exact same thing lol and under 3 different accounts Rebel Man

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I want us to move away from our messiah complex when it comes to coaches. No one person is going to save us and there's no shortcut to success here.

Hire Dan McKeller and surround him with steady experienced heads. I'd love to see Joe Schmidt in there. Simon Raiwalui lives in Brisbane and you'd be mad not to call him. Laurie Fisher is another one, as is Andy Friend.

Don't give me an individual, give me a team of coaches.
100%
Gatland can turn a team around by going back to basics and a couple others but I don’t know if that gets us sustained siccess
We basically need exactly what you outline. Maybe we can get McQueen or someone from NZ to be a mentor. Please no Nick fsr jones / campo / Ella involvement in selections.