• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The one and only Wallaby Coach thread

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Time to submit your applications, guys…

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
How? It’s for professional networking and a shit tonne of rugby people are on it.

Because as mentioned previously do we really believe they haven’t already got a shortlist of candidates.

It’s a national coaching role, not the local club side. Any legitimate candidates who are interested haven’t been sitting around for the last few months waiting for a LinkedIn advertisement before talking to RA.

It shows how much of a gap there is between our game and the other successful comps in Australia. I doubt the Sydney Roosters, Brisbane Broncos, Collingwood etc would be doing this.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Because as mentioned previously do we really believe they haven’t already got a shortlist of candidates.

It’s a national coaching role, not the local club side. Any legitimate candidates who are interested haven’t been sitting around for the last few months waiting for a LinkedIn advertisement before talking to RA.

It shows how much of a gap there is between our game and the other successful comps in Australia. I doubt the Sydney Roosters, Brisbane Broncos, Collingwood etc would be doing this.
Exactly, it’s a national coaching role. It has to be formally advertised. Most professional organisations advertise whether they have a shortlist or not.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Surely it’s the most common sense way to truly find out (1) who is available and (2) who is interested? We can have a ‘short list’ or ‘hit list’ all we like, but if they don’t comply with the above two then we are just wasting time and energy.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Surely it’s the most common sense way to truly find out (1) who is available and (2) who is interested? We can have a ‘short list’ or ‘hit list’ all we like, but if they don’t comply with the above two then we are just wasting time and energy.

Happy to concede LinkedIn is necessary. To find out who is available and who is interested surely requires more effort than that.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Advertising even for internal roles is pretty common these days. The advert may only be live for a few days or a week, but it helps remove the nepotism argument being raised on any appointment. They can point to the mediums like LinkedIn/Seek/RA website to say we gave anyone and everyone an opportunity to apply, we made our decision based on who sent in a CV etc

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Er, I think you’ll find they actually do, and if you were interested you’re too late to apply for Collingwood’s AFLW head coach position that was recently advertised…

As everyone else has mentioned - it’s a requirement for any job position to be advertised, and LinkedIn is the primary job networking site… which a lot of coaches actually use.

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
Surely it is a two horse race between MacKellar and Schmidt, and with Schmidt’s experience with the Irish and the All Blacks, and with his relationship with Nucifora that will guarantee him the position. With the way things ended with Chieka, RA won’t go down that road again and Foster was floundering with the All Blacks before Schmidt came on board.
I am more interested to know who the next attack, defence, line out and scrum coaches will be.

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
I would presume each of the head coach candidates will bring with them their preferred assistant coaching team. The decision on the HC might well turn on the quality of the whole team, as it apparently did against Deans for the ABs HC spot years ago.
I wonder out of Taylor, Larkham, McKellar, Parling, Palmer, Fisher, Friend, Barnes and Foote who will make the cut?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Don’t really want any of them right now. We need a full renovation not just fresh paint on the walls.

Maybe the guys like Palmer in the future but I think he’d get a lot out of foreign club coaching at the moment.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Same cattle, new coach??
I actually think there is a lot of promise in our current cattle. For the last 20 yrs we’ve had weaknesses across numerous positions - playmakers in particular, but at different times we lacked test level players in every other position. We haven’t had players capable of delivering on the basics - a strong set piece, quality kick/chase, ability to maintain pressure and convert it into points, maintain discipline. There were times when our lack of options required significant compromise (eg choosing between forwards who were either effective around the park or at set peice, but not both or choosing between backs who had good attacking skills but were poor defenders or vice versa but not both). I get that potential wins nothing - across the board we still need players to take a big step up, but the raw ingredients are, IMO, the best they’ve been for 20 off years.

I think the three most critical issues over the next 4 yrs will be -
- can our Super Level coaching staff step up and do a better job of converting potential
- can RAs finances remain sufficiently robust to maintain the depth we need

And, most relevant to this thread - can we put together a head coach and national rugby structure which delivers on the big scale.

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
Same cattle, new coach??
Not all the coaching team, but a a fair percentage should have experience in Aus Super Rugby. If they the have necessary level of skills in their discipline. Having people with local experience as assistant coaches will build connections with fans and players.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Er, I think you’ll find they actually do, and if you were interested you’re too late to apply for Collingwood’s AFLW head coach position that was recently advertised…

As everyone else has mentioned - it’s a requirement for any job position to be advertised, and LinkedIn is the primary job networking site… which a lot of coaches actually use.

So are we now comparing the Collingwood AFLW head coach position to the Wallabies?