• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The one and only Wallaby Coach thread

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Our ruck work deteriorates as the phases increase, then the bad guys pounce as we run out of bodies

Cheika et al were committed to more width and we succeeded in proving millions of turnovers, with bodies strewn across the field watching another try being run in

Not sure how that is solved, possibly by not getting into long grinds with any width - that was Deans solution in the end, keep it tighter or just kick and chase and defend

I don't mind us playing a tighter game. Far too often we get exposed in the wider channels at the breakdown. We either fix that or change the game plan.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
Schmidt favours a choreographed style of play that requires discipline and accuracy.

We should be fine…

…right?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Schmidt favours a choreographed style of play that requires discipline and accuracy.

We should be fine…

…right?
If he can get players to buy in and the critics don't decide our play is too rigid and robotic after the first few losses

The same critics who seem to fail to recognise/remember that our most successful teams were very, very structured

Those runs from Finnigan to get an inside pop pass from Gregan after breaks were planned and practised

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
True. I guess the question may come down to selecting players based on their willingness to play to the plan.
Brumbies fans should be happy

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
I just hope that Schmidt either picks players based on the game plan he wants to employ or he structures a game plan around the best players available. Either can work. What can't and won't work is to pick a bunch of players and try to shoehorn them into a game plan that they simply are not adept at.

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I just hope that Schmidt either picks players based on the game plan he wants to employ or he structures a game plan around the best players available. Either can work. What can't and won't work is to pick a bunch of players and try to shoehorn them into a game plan that they simply are not adept at.
If he cannot manage things along the lines that you hope, he is the wrong coach - although there is also the fact that some players can learn new tricks.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
If he cannot manage things along the lines that you hope, he is the wrong coach - although there is also the fact that some players can learn new tricks.
And those players who cannot change will not survive in the team long-term. Others will be brought in to take their place.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
I hope that is the case as neither of the last two Wallabies coaches seemed to grasp the concept.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
I read somewhere Schmidt plans that he’ll bring new players in if the skills/players he has available aren’t up to it.

i’m assuming Bundee aki is up for another go-around?

Last edited:

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
you would hope that most players at the elite level can adapt to different styles of plays and structures - You would think they have played for many coaches and be good at adaption to reach the top level.

Excepting for a few positions where certain players may suit certain game plans. eg. Reece Hodge at 15 for a kicking game - Playing 2 x 7's for a fast mobile pack vs a pack for set piece -

Alex Sharpe

Chris McKivat (8)
Looks like Andy Friend has set up his own performance consulting business:

I'd guess this probably rules him out of an assistant coaching role on Schmidt's team, at least in the near future. Might still make sense in a more casual consulting role though, particularly around coaching development.
He was in Brumbies gear at Viking Park on Saturday night. Looks like he could be doing some consulting work with them

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
you would hope that most players at the elite level can adapt to different styles of plays and structures - You would think they have played for many coaches and be good at adaption to reach the top level.

Excepting for a few positions where certain players may suit certain game plans. eg. Reece Hodge at 15 for a kicking game - Playing 2 x 7's for a fast mobile pack vs a pack for set piece -
I agree to a point, however, most players are certainly more adept at certain game plans than others and at the international level those small differences are significant. Take the current England team if you want to play a highly structured kicking game then George Ford is the perfect 10 and you want a strong scrummaging front row. However, if you want to play a less structured more play what is in front of you style then I would go with Marcus Smith everyday of the week and then a prop who is great in the loose like Kyle Sinckler but not so strong in the scrum becomes a valid option (though personally I think the scrum should be the number one skill for all props).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I thought this was an interesting outlook

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I thought this was an interesting outlook

I think the context is important there - as far as I'm aware he's speaking as a college coach, were you only ever have players for a few years, there is a constant stream of players coming through, and you have relatively minimal investment in what happens to the majority of those players once they leave your program.

In that space it's pretty accurate and we see the same here around age grade players through to their early 20s taking the first step to professionalism. Some of the stars can make the jump to pro, some can't and some of the guys who look like a good solid player at an amateur level end up looking like a good solid player at pro level because the application is there and they rise to the level they're playing at.

It isn't permanent though, particularly in our game where there is a path to the pros well into your 20s. You can take a guy like Kellaway who was a gun at under 20s, but struggled with the step up to the pros initially. He then goes overseas gains experience and develops as a professional and comes back a changed player.

This sort of issue is why I think something like an NRC is so important. You need to get players in a professional environment (or as close as possible) to really see who is ready and able to take the next step, beyond just on field performance.