• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Otago Highlanders

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
there is NO thread entitled "Otago Highlanders" on this forum. I just checked.

14th place in 2013.

CHAMPIONS in 2015.

here's the side that started their last match in that spastic 2013 season, a loss to the Rebels:

1. Tony Woodcock,2. Andrew Hore (c) ,3. Ma'afu Fia ,4. Brad Thorn ,5. Josh Bekhuis ,6. TJ Ioane ,7. Elliot Dixon ,8. Mose Tuiali'i ,9. Aaron Smith ,10. Colin Slade ,11. Hosea Gear (vc),12. Tamati Ellison ,13. Jason Emery ,14. Kade Poki ,15. Ben Smith

Four AB's in the forwards. 5 in the backs. You could argue that, on paper, that side looks better than their 2015 champion side.

14th to 1st.

And we all know who came 14th this year.

YEAH MOTHERFCKASSS.

ROLL ON 2017.

wwf2.gif

T

TOCC

Like the fairytale of the 2011 Reds, a team coming from the bottom of the ladder with a roster of largely unsung players, playing an entertaining style of rugby and some clever coaching.

something

Jim Clark (26)
You know how people say that the opposition fears Quade Cooper over Bernard Foley.

Well, i fear Lima Sopoaga over Cruden & Barrett

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Clan now have a perpetual licence & a new ownership structure of 87% private, 13% their member Unions (Otago, Southland & North Otago who I imagine would only have a token shareholding).

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'll be sure to watch it.
Expecting the dirt on the following AB's from the 1 season mercenary influx::

Tony Woodcock
Andrew Hore
Brad Thorn
Elliot Dixon
Mose Tuiali'i
Colin Slade
Hosea Gear
Tamati Ellison
one of my least fave players ever. Sly cheap-shots, bullshit mercenary.
Ma'a Nonu

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ to be fair Slade wasn't so much a merc as press-ganged by HQ who disapproved of the warehousing of players. How time have changed... *cough* Loss Bleus *cough* loose forwards *cough* ;)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Expecting the dirt on the following AB's from the 1 season mercenary influx::

Tony Woodcock
Andrew Hore
Brad Thorn
Elliot Dixon
Mose Tuiali'i
Colin Slade
Hosea Gear
Tamati Ellison
one of my least fave players ever. Sly cheap-shots, bullshit mercenary.
Ma'a Nonu

Sorry to disappoint but there was no dirt. Even the "Blood on the SA dance floor" story told by JoeyW was strictly no names apart from him outing himself as the guy who thought it was a good idea to go clubbing after losing a QF in SA. Of the guys you listed only EDixon made an appearance which may or may not have significance in terms of where some of the others sit wrt to the Clan's remarkable resurgence. Nasi Manu really comes through as the guy who turned things around more than most except probably Jamie Joseph who had the good sense to realise that things needed to change both on & off the field. Worth a look if it ever turns up on whatever streaming service they have on Pitcairn.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In the meantime here's the trailer...

I think my favourite bit is Nasi Manu playing the GF with his right eyelid held open with elastoplast & his head taped up to stop the elastoplast getting dislodged. Try holding an eye open for 80+ minutes & see how you go...

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A consortium headed by ex players including Marc Ellis (who becomes a director) has bought an 11% stake & another group that includes Arran Pene 10% with one of that group also coming onto the Board.

Going by the percentages quoted the Otago, Southland & North Otago Unions only hold a combined 13%.

Last edited: