• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Physical Strength of Australian Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Not much. Depends on the idividual, but I have seen my own lean body mass drop 3% from one night drinking say 10 standard drinks and at the same time my bodyfat percentage go up 2%. From 1 night on the turps. I have seen it go 2%/1% from 3 drinks.
I'm impressed that after a night on the tiles having 10 sherbets, the first thing out when you get home, or the next morning, is a set of calipers and a calculator!!
What is the confounding factor taken into account for kebab consumption after said night out? ;)

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Not much. Depends on the idividual, but I have seen my own lean body mass drop 3% from one night drinking say 10 standard drinks and at the same time my bodyfat percentage go up 2%. From 1 night on the turps. I have seen it go 2%/1% from 3 drinks.

Is body mass really an indicator for strength though? You're measuring yourself after a night of dehydrating yourself so I would imagine the losses is more water weight than anything?

I agree that alcohol has an effect on recovery which in turns affects ones ability to develop muscle etc I just don't think measuring body fat/mass after one night is a true indication.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
To harp way back to a previous point, I doubt it's our lack of focus on weights that brings about our downfall.

Of the tier 1 nations the most focused on weight training would be England and the least would probably be France. One only needs to look at their results on average across the last 2 WC windows to see that it holds little relevance.

C

Cave Dweller

Most of that is complete fabrication.

That may be pub speak, loosely, for those qualities, but if you are using those definitions for any application of sport science, you're not doing yourself any favours.
Mmm I think this guys knows something about it. They work at some place called Research Unit for Exercise Science and Sports Medicine where they spend most of their time trying to fabricate things and doing unjust to hundreds of sport men and woman daily.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think muscle endurance is one of the most important aspects as its dependent on the muscle being able to contract repetitively without developing fatigue.

Muscle strength is defined as the ability to produce force.
Muscle power is a function of the interaction between force of contraction and the speed of contraction, is associated with the explosiveness of the muscle.
Speed consists of a number of things all of which are independent qualities namely acceleration speed, maximum speed and speed-endurance.
Acceleration the ability to accelerate and cover short distances
Repeat sprint The ability to resist fatigue after repeated short-duration, high-intensity sprints is a fitness characteristic which is important for team sports such as soccer, rugby, football, basketball and netball, to name a few.
Motor co-ordination aka skill is the combined interaction of agility, balance, co-ordination, power, speed and reaction time. In short making decisions as quickly as possible and implementing it.
Flexibility represents the range of motion specific to a joint. Can be random or static
Cardiovascular fitness refers to the collective ability of the cardiovascular system to adjust to the physiological stress of exercise.
and lastly
Body composition which is defined by the proportions of fat, muscle and bone.

They aren't even your words. You have just taken the first sentence for the sub headings, word for word, out of the paper you supplied. In doing so, you have taken the statements completely out the context in which they were written. Also, If you are going to rip someone elses work off and pass it as your own, I do believe that constitutes plagiarism. Please stop.

Reactions: BPC

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Is body mass really an indicator for strength though? You're measuring yourself after a night of dehydrating yourself so I would imagine the losses is more water weight than anything?

I agree that alcohol has an effect on recovery which in turns affects ones ability to develop muscle etc I just don't think measuring body fat/mass after one night is a true indication.

No - I'm measuring body composition, and it was a few days after the night before. I trained and got pinched on Tuesdays, then tained again Fridays. Measurement is Body Fat and Lean Body mass - Ie Muscle.

And for any individual, strength is directly related to muscle mass.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
I'm impressed that after a night on the tiles having 10 sherbets, the first thing out when you get home, or the next morning, is a set of calipers and a calculator!!
What is the confounding factor taken into account for kebab consumption after said night out? ;)

Kebabs can be quite a decent and nutritious meal :)

The session and pinching was on Tuesdays, the booze was usually consumed Saturdays, until I knocked it off completely in Sheer frustration at the gains I was losing and the progress I was reversing. At one pint I worked out that had I not had anything to drink in a particular 3 month period I would probably have dropped my body fat percentage from 19% to 14% and gained about 5 kg’s of lean muscle.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Mmm I think this guys knows something about it. They work at some place called Research Unit for Exercise Science and Sports Medicine where they spend most of their time trying to fabricate things and doing unjust to hundreds of sport men and woman daily.

Yep - what they write makes sense. What you have written sounds like you've had the idea transferred to you via interpretive dance.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
mate, I haven't be enable to see anything after one night on the turps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
This conversation of body fat percentage measurement, is missing the vital component which considers the amount of error in the process.

W

What2040

Think Anae benches about 180kg and Will Genia not far behind - strength is an interesting topic - JOC (James O'Connor) and Diggers (???) may not be the "strongest" blokes but they sure are on their feet

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Think Anae benches about 180kg and Will Genia not far behind - strength is an interesting topic - JOC (James O'Connor) and Diggers (???) may not be the "strongest" blokes but they sure are on their feet

Will Genia is a freak and so was Luke Burgess. I find it amusing that even at professional rugby very few props dominate the 1RM competitions.

For example Ben Alexander is not overly impressive in the gym (from what I hear).

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Apparently Christian Cullen had the 2nd best bench press in the Canes behind Bull Allen back in the day....

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Shorter people have a distinct advantage in bench press! Maybe some mathematician could work out the difference between a 200 cm person doing bench and a 170 cm one?

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Shorter people have a distinct advantage in bench press! Maybe some mathematician could work out the difference between a 200 cm person doing bench and a 170 cm one?

Also there's a massive difference between a person who trains for a pointless exercise, and a person who plays Rugby.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Yes but the shorter guy wouldn't have a huge advantage on the bigger dude if the bigger dude has 20kg on him.

W

What2040

Yes but the shorter guy wouldn't have a huge advantage on the bigger dude if he has 20kg on him.

Reminds me of that Bulgarian weightlifter at the Olympics years ago - looked like a bantam rooster and only had arms about 12inches long - shit he could lift just above his head

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Also there's a massive difference between a person who trains for a pointless exercise, and a person who plays Rugby.

You don't train for a pointless exercise - you train to build strength, which makes you more effective at Rugby. The inevitable consequence of more strength is bigger muscles.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
mate, I haven't be enable to see anything after one night on the turps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you been getting assessed by someone reliable every week over, say a 6 month period during which other variables (like variations in diet) have been basically removed?

Status
Not open for further replies.