• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Pulverisation of Australian Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Without wanting to rain on the parade of festive positivity, it's a bit unreasonable to pick a week of ratings for the A-League and hold them up to suggest they're not doing so well.
Soccer is doing well enough given where they started, and they're definitely doing a lot better than Rugby.
They have the Asian Cup coming up this month. The A-League gets more coverage, and more money for TV rights than Super Rugby in Australia, and their national body isn't going broke.

Going broke was actually the best thing that ever happened to soccer in Australia. They got a government bail-out on the condition that they restructure their administration. All the old ethnic war-lords were cleaned out and they started with money in the bank. If only we could go broke and get a government hand-out on the condition that we got rid of the corporate clique who run rugby.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Both soccer and rugby have a big opportunity in the US. They'll probably never supplant NFL as the main code, but I was at a function earlier in the year and the player profile in NFL is something like 85% African American. This leaves a rather large demographic to be exploited, rugby satifies the American love of a contact type football code without the collisions.

And with that potential talent pool rugby should really be targeting those kids who aren't making the cut in the NFL.....................

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Going broke was actually the best thing that ever happened to soccer in Australia. They got a government bail-out on the condition that they restructure their administration. All the old ethnic war-lords were cleaned out and they started with money in the bank. If only we could go broke and get a government hand-out on the condition that we got rid of the corporate clique who run rugby.
You will never get rid of the corporate clique,they are like cockroaches,they could survive a nuclear holocaust.
Ch 9 is a perfect example.
The shareholders lost their total investment.the mezzanine lenders lost 90c in the dollar.secured creditors took a bath.
No one in their exco lost their jobs.......

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
On this mornings Today Show. The years best in sport - covered all sorts of highlights and I kept waiting for something rugby - even the Tahs winning a Super title didn't get a mention.

Bit like no one from rugby turning up to have a photo with the Yankees pitcher earlier in the year.

An effort needs to be made.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hard to blame the ARU for a channel 9 show deciding that the Tahs winning Super Rugby wasn't one of the biggest sports stories of the year.

T

TOCC

Pretty sure I watched the same program and the Waratahs were mentioned :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Hard to blame the ARU for a channel 9 show deciding that the Tahs winning Super Rugby wasn't one of the biggest sports stories of the year.

I know and agree that is why I finished with an effort needs to be made.

If you saw some of the highlights included, it is a fair question as to why.

People talking and communicating creates interest and that roles onto awareness.

Whilst I don't know how to get it on the highlight reel, lots of small things like that build the exposure our code is needing.

T

TOCC

I watched some 'sports year in review' segment this morning, can't remember which channel but they talked about the Waratahs, the Ashes and Rabbitohs.. Don't remember much else

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I watched some 'sports year in review' segment this morning, can't remember which channel but they talked about the Waratahs, the Ashes and Rabbitohs.. Don't remember much else

Just watched the full real - and I was pleased to see the trophy held high. Can it be back to back.
So it was the Ooooopps.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Both soccer and rugby have a big opportunity in the US. They'll probably never supplant NFL as the main code, but I was at a function earlier in the year and the player profile in NFL is something like 85% African American. This leaves a rather large demographic to be exploited, rugby satifies the American love of a contact type football code without the collisions.

In basketball the percentage of African American is even higher, perhaps 95%. This is because African Americans were selected because they were brought to America as slaves, then the Conqueror chose the strongest Africans so they can withstand the long journey by boat and serve as slaves. For that reason African Americans usually are strong, but the rest of the American population leaves much to be desired, they suffer from obesity pandemic never seen before, morbid obesity is very high in America, almost all children and teenagers are obese.

Rugby is a similar sport than american football, so is unlikely to grow in America, both sports require similar athletes, players over 100 kg. While soccer requires another type of athletes, usually young malnourished of 60 kg, that's an advantage for soccer. Also in America there are many Latins, especially Mexicans, and the most popular sport in Latin America is soccer by far.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
In basketball the percentage of African American is even higher, perhaps 95%. This is because African Americans were selected because they were brought to America as slaves, then the Conqueror chose the strongest Africans so they can withstand the long journey by boat and serve as slaves. For that reason African Americans usually are strong, but the rest of the American population leaves much to be desired, they suffer from obesity pandemic never seen before, morbid obesity is very high in America, almost all children and teenagers are obese.

Rugby is a similar sport than american football, so is unlikely to grow in America, both sports require similar athletes, players over 100 kg. While soccer requires another type of athletes, usually young malnourished of 60 kg, that's an advantage for soccer. Also in America there are many Latins, especially Mexicans, and the most popular sport in Latin America is soccer by far.
Rugby is actually not very much like American football at all. The emphasis in American football is on high impact collisions and sequences of set plays which are learnt by rote. Not only do most of the players in the squad not even touch the ball, but their positions specifically require that they don't touch the ball. There is very little if any aerobic fitness required as the play stops after every play and the game resets itself for another play.

You are correct in saying that there are a considerable number of people who play soccer because they don't want to play a body contact type sport, but rugby can and does cater for a different type of player than American football. There is a significant number of boys of all races who would have played American football at junior or school level, but cannot play the game at senior level because of the very specific body shape and skill set required. These guys still enjoy a contact type football code and rugby is made for them.

However, I do need to correct your incorrect assumptions about obesity rates according to racial types in the US.

49.5% of African Amereicans are considered obese
39.1% of Hispanics are considered obese
34.3% of white Americans are considered obese

For youth, the rates are:
25.7% African American
22.9% Hispanic
15.2% white Americans

http://win.niddk.nih.gov/statistics/

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Don't worry Dave B, I saw one sports highlights package without rugby, and one with Waratahs so you probably were right.
Just thought I would let you know you not going mad;)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Don't worry Dave B, I saw one sports highlights package without rugby, and one with Waratahs so you probably were right.
Just thought I would let you know you not going mad;)

One major factor inhibiting favourable exposure of our game is that our main rivals now employ their own journalists. The AFL, for example, have a team of 150 journalists and support staff producing material for the media. That's right, one hundred and bloody fifty.

Apart from everything else, that is what we are up against. It is little wonder that we are struggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.