• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Pulverisation of Australian Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The sad, simple, fact is that our catchment area has been narrowing for years.

I went to a state school that used to produce first grade rugby players. Now it doesn't play the game. I wonder how often that scenario is being played out, both at school level, and also at junior level.

Face it, folks, we are in deep shite. And there is no paddle in sight.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
More positivism from Fox :D

Fox: "We've got the reigning champions, star code-hoppers, monster young-guns and a stack of World Cup spots up for grabs.

The 2015 Super Rugby season is shaping as the best yet for Australian fans — here are 10 reasons why"

http://m.foxsports.com.au/rugby/sup...-australian-fans/story-e6frf4pu-1227177399043

I don't understand why SBW playing for Chiefs is a good reason for Australian fans, maybe for Roosters fans who hates Union, haha. Whatever ;)

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
I don't understand why SBW playing for Chiefs is a good reason for Australian fans, maybe for Roosters fans who hates Union, haha. Whatever ;)

Because it means more people tuning in. It doesn't matter which team he plays for, more viewers means more dollars. And when the Chiefs play an Australian team, more for them too.

A point that may have been lost on some is that Williams (and other code-hoppers) draw audiences. In Williams' case, especially the ladies.

T

TOCC

Sonny Bill playing in Super Rugby is a massive boost for Australian Rugby, the broadcasters and clubs will be leveraging the SBW factor massively when he plays away games against the Reds and Rebels.

Sonny Bill Williams would be pretty close to the highest profile All Black from an Australian perspective...

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Sonny Bill playing in Super Rugby is a massive boost for Australian Rugby, the broadcasters and clubs will be leveraging the SBW factor massively when he plays away games against the Reds and Rebels.

Sonny Bill Williams would be pretty close to the highest profile All Black from an Australian perspective.

When he's here he'd be pretty close to the highest profile rugby player in the country.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
I think the Reds play the Chiefs late in season. Should be HUUUGE. (If SBW is playing)

Round 17, June 6. I doubt SBW will be playing, by then Shag will have the guys he's taking up to Samoa (of which SBW being part-Samoan will surely be one if only for PR reasons) in camp. Should still be HUUGE, though, plenty of Chiefs fans out for utu (Googletranslate it) for 2012 lol.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Because it means more people tuning in. It doesn't matter which team he plays for, more viewers means more dollars. And when the Chiefs play an Australian team, more for them too.

A point that may have been lost on some is that Williams (and other code-hoppers) draw audiences. In Williams' case, especially the ladies.

Good point but I think most Aussies want to see win an Australian team and SBW is a HUGE obstacle for that :eek:

From the perspective of attracting League supporters is positive but the note speaks about rugby fans or at least what I understood.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Round 17, June 6. I doubt SBW will be playing, by then Shag will have the guys he's taking up to Samoa (of which SBW being part-Samoan will surely be one if only for PR reasons) in camp. Should still be HUUGE, though, plenty of Chiefs fans out for utu (Googletranslate it) for 2012 lol.

That would be an interesting situation as in 2014 SBW was the NRL ambassador to Samoa and accompanied Dave Smith there and met the Prime Minister and promoted rugby league.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I guess this thread'll do.........

Di Patton's case against the ARU to be heard in June:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...-aru-to-be-heard-in-june-20150209-139xwi.html

Former Wallabies business manager Di Patston's court case against the Australian Rugby Union has been adjourned until midway through this year.

The matter will be heard on June 2 after an ARU legal representative failed to have the case dismissed in a brief appearance at Brisbane's Federal Circuit Court this morning.

Patston was not present but has applied for a breach of general protections claim under the Fair Work Act.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I guess this thread'll do...

Di Patton's case against the ARU to be heard in June:

That's interesting.

Naturally she has the right to recourse for workplace breaches. But I've heard rumours she might have a case to answer on her own conduct.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It will be interesting to see how the ARU chooses to defend this.

Trying to avoid paying her anything would result in the airing of a lot of dirty laundry that they probably don't want brought to light, particularly so long after the incident(s).

My bet is that considering they couldn't get it dismissed prior to a hearing, they'll settle.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Don't fall into the trap of defence lawyer ethics, 'first attack the victim & witness integrity'. The actual facts are pretty well known.

Three things:
1) The first victim of war is the truth.
2) The "actual facts" are usually anything but.
3) Lawyers don't care about either.

I'm not concerned either way - the damage to Australian rugby could hardly get worse at this point.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Three things:

I'm not concerned either way - the damage to Australian rugby could hardly get worse at this point.

If the whole truth were to come out (whatever that may be) I think it could be the impetus for the whole matter being put to bed. ATM, while most have gone quiet about the issues, there is still a division in Aus rugby supporters about who did what to whom, when and why. And I think that would continue to bubble away if a confidential settlement is made.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Three things:

Yes you are totally correct. We do not however have to accept this as a "Rule" and propagate it though. Lets lead the debate and at least try and achieve a higher standard, and maybe the damage will be mitigated, not only to Rugby but importantly to the individuals, and indeed maybe we will get a long term cultural change that will see this sort of farce never repeated.
That requires leadership that we haven't seen a lot of, maybe we as a Rugby community can provide a small example of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.