• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Pulverisation of Australian Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
You are not wrong in what you are saying, but would you know the role of Michael Hawker by any chance - do we need a Michael Hawker, and also a Bill Pulver?

Are you asking what the role of the Chairman of the board of directors is or what Hawker specifically does in that role?

It's very much a part time gig, and for what the ARU (should?) get for their money, given his CV, experience and business connections, pretty good value for money too (Hawker only had a salary of $32k last year).

Of course I have no idea about his performance in board meetings etc

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Are you asking what the role of the Chairman of the board of directors is or what Hawker specifically does in that role?

It's very much a part time gig, and for what the ARU (should?) get for their money, given his CV, experience and business connections, pretty good value for money too (Hawker only had a salary of $32k last year).

Of course I have no idea about his performance in board meetings etc

Thanks Cobber - I asked because i didn't know, and thank you.
If accurate that is good, I had this horrid thought he may have been up there with Bill with regards to remuneration and had this thought given his CV and Experience we had 2 people doing one mans job.

Thank you for that info.

Cheers

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Thanks Cobber - I asked because i didn't know, and thank you.
If accurate that is good, I had this horrid thought he may have been up there with Bill with regards to remuneration and had this thought given his CV and Experience we had 2 people doing one mans job.

Thank you for that info.

Cheers

http://www.rugby.com.au/annualreport/2013/#/76

Page 76 of the annual report has all the gruesome details especially if you're interested in what Mr J O'Neil (AO) managed to extract.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
  • Give the bullet to Manly RFC
  • Sink the shoe to the Shute
I think that's enough to be getting on with. I, for one, applaud these overdue initiatives from the Board.
And very constructive from behind the key board - I do applaud that contribution.

B

BellyTwoBlues

I understand people are frustrated by the move to cut $28'000 but I'm yet to see a coherent argument justifying why the clubs deserve $28'000 that other clubs in Melbourne, Canberra and Perth aren't offered?

Am i to believe that a club like Sydney Uni has received $1million in funding over the past 10 years? What does the Shute Shield have to show for the $10million in funding it has received since 2004?
Where has that money gone?
For those involved in the Shute Shield scene, can the clubs put their hands on their hearts and say that players aren't/weren't receiving some of that funding?

We can!

B

BellyTwoBlues

Will removing $28'000 from each club cease this from been the case?

I think what you are missing TOCC is that the withdrawal of the funding will significantly increase the gap between the haves and have nots.

We use that funding to send our Head Coach and Assistants into local schools to run coaching clinics etc. We are seeing that tree begin to grow fruit now.

We also use the funding to support our junior reps and had grand plans to use portions of the funding to resurrect one of our fallen junior clubs and to strengthen some of our struggling ones.

Yes we pay players, but it does not come out of the grant money. And as every player in the competition knows, if they want to be financially well rewarded for playing footy, then Parra isn't for them.

All of our planned development work for 2015 is now under review due to the withdrawal of the grant. We'd cop the withdrawal of the funding if the ARU guaranteed us that they are stepping their focus on development in the west. But they aren't. In fact they're doing the opposite. The AFL have over 20 development officers in western Sydney. Rugby has 1. And his time is spent delivering their OH&S course which they decided was mandatory. I believe he's been told his role will most likely move to a casual position for 2015 and beyond.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
And very constructive from behind the key board - I do applaud that contribution.
Well, thanks. Don't worry, jokes aside, I think Manly are doing good things and certainly pulling decent support. I want your mob to prosper.

Here's a question that might generate something more constructive. We've learned that the chair is on $32k and Bill is on less than JON. What I'd like to know is the salary bill for the premiership sides.

Do you know what a club, like say Manly, pays their players - or if indeed they pay them anything at all?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
In my (probably oversimplistic) view of the world the ARU should fund and be responsible for the professional and elite levels (includes mens, womens, age groups, and sevens), administer the Super rugby funds, and distribute anything else to the member unions for their own initiatives.

Shute Shield has to come under the responsibility of the NSWRU, and as such the ARU shouldn't be funding it directly.

Whether the funding currently given to the NSWRU is sufficient is a different matter

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Well, thanks. Don't worry, jokes aside, I think Manly are doing good things and certainly pulling decent support. I want your mob to prosper.

Here's a question that might generate something more constructive. We've learned that the chair is on $32k and Bill is on less than JON. What I'd like to know is the salary bill for the premiership sides.

Do you know what a club, like say Manly, pays their players - or if indeed they pay them anything at all?

Not sure on player payments, think it'd be a bit like asking a work colleague what they get paid - not a good question to ask.

Then there are contras, rents, travel, forms of education - it'd get rather messy.

As Belly has said they, and a number of other clubs do various forms of work with the juniors - should that be measured by the $, measured by time, I don't know.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Not sure on player payments, think it'd be a bit like asking a work colleague what they get paid - not a good question to ask.
But it is a good question to ask (I know where you're coming from but it's not quite the same thing).

So none of the player expenditure is disclosed on the annual report? I'm not talking about any individual guy's deal but the overall team budget.

Surely there's got to be transparency if a club is expecting to receive these sort of grants.

Then there are contras, rents, travel, forms of education - it'd get rather messy.

As Belly has said they, and a number of other clubs do various forms of work with the juniors - should that be measured by the $, measured by time, I don't know.
If contras, scholarhips, etc, are third party deals then so be it. They can be handled.

Otherwise there's a need to know where the money is going, with the directors putting their names to it and publicly signing off on the financial statements.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Just to clarify. Mike Hawker is now on $20k pa and the Directors $10k pa - not much for accepting personal liability if the corporation trades while insolvent (as Grumbles and that financial giant Greenwood would have us believe).

It's not as if it's Hawker's real job though. Isn't he some sort of corporate guru?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Nice work if you can get it. Interesting that the Prime Minister of the country earns $100,000 a year less than the Pulveriser and about $1.6 mil a year less than JON raked in.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...eral-politicians/story-fni0cx12-1226912955745

We are not really trying to attract Tony A or Bill S to come run the ARU though are we?

Compare BP's salary with the CEOs of the NRL or AFL and you can see why we're getting second rate leadership at the moment

T

Train Without a Station

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
We are not really trying to attract Tony A or Bill S to come run the ARU though are we?

Compare BP's salary with the CEOs of the NRL or AFL and you can see why we're getting second rate leadership at the moment

Or you could compare the recruitment process which came up with the chariman's schoolmate and neighbour;)

Status
Not open for further replies.