• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Pulverisation of Australian Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Where is this place where the rep teams are even part-funded? Because around here, the rep teams fund themselves or are funded out of the competition they play in. I thought that was the way it was done everywhere?
Many Rep teams do receive some funding. Qld Country (not the NRC version) have subsidised travel an accommodation and receive kit. Qld Junior State Champs is now a pooled fund so players are subsidising each other. This could be done much better, but I think it's fair that amateur rep is funded primarily by the sub-unions and players. I do think coaching and refereeing pathways should be improved though. These are resources used by the game, usually at no cost. Similarly club executives should have better access to networking and sharing of information particularly for volunteers. And the super franchises could use their resources to encourage excitement among player groups - wouldn't it be great if clubs could send a couple of players to Ballymore for two or three days of pre-season - even if it was at the players or clubs expense? This wouldn't necessarily cost anything, but generates incredible good will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
I think those ideas for networking and coaching pathways improvements are probably where the biggest improvements can be had in the shortest timeframe. I didn't know Qld Country was subsidised. Perhaps NSW Country is, too. I'll have to find out.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
I do think coaching and refereeing pathways should be improved though. These are resources used by the game, usually at no cost. Similarly club executives should have better access to networking and sharing of information particularly for volunteers.

It would not surprise you then that the same wallys who persist with a user pays attitude to EVERYTHING, when faced with a dramatic shortage of referees in adult rugby in Sydney, threw on (at short notice) a free Referee course. I am told that they could have filled the class room twice over. TAKE OUT - The interest is there, but the ARU pricing model shrinks demand!

You'd like to think that this inward looking logic was isolated, alas, it's not!

Another snout recounts a conversation he overheard between 3 SJRU poobahs a few years ago about funding "medical staff" for all SJRU games. 2 of the 3 were in violent agreement with each other, the 3rd was suggesting that perhaps they could use the available funds to develop a management training package for junior club committees and deliver it to all of them so they could be stronger and more self sufficient, arguing that there was a not a natural level of knowledge in this regard in big parts of Sydney.

The idea was howled down by the 2. No doubt the 2 were GPS educated lawyers or company directors from the leafy north shore, whilst the 3rd was probably a tradie from a less fashionable rugby supporting area.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
From what I can see the following players would owe the bulk of their development to Premier Rugby. I'd estimate this being highest of all teams, as the other 4 teams would get the bulk of junior rep players by the players preference and therefore the Rebels have to look at the fringe players more:

Scott Higginbotham
Caydern Neville
Laurie Weeks
Luke Burgess
Tim Metcher
Jordy Reid
Tom English

Potentially Nic Stirzaker

There are some players that have been late bloomers (Only really Steve Cummins), but even then surely a lot of their development has come from State Schoolboys, Australian Schoolboys and Australian Under 20s.

The remaining players basically played age group rep and by under 20s were at least training in a professional academy environment.

Developed and Exposure the SS is also exposure to higher level rugby.
More often than not quality sportsman have a talent any way, and it is how coaches use that talent.

Kept off this thread for over a week, and since then SS has been taken off ABC - have we heard a business plan yet?

I think think the ARU needs to look at the world, rather than solely Australia - we are a very small battler in the world - who has a love of sport.

Whether it be cricket, soccer, or other codes they have progressed with the economy.

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Why doesn't the ARU grab the other codes and maybe the AMA to jointly lobby Abbott to make sporting fees for non professionals tax deductable (based on an activity test) ... What you give up initially should help arrest looming increases in health costs down the track . Encouraging the population towards a more active lifestyle could help save some sports including rugby and improve the national balance sheet as well as that of grass roots rugby amongst others . And if you want to get Shariah Hanson-Young of the greens on board extend it to tree climbing and hiking while they are at it , Clive- the mind may be willing but....

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Why doesn't the ARU grab the other codes and maybe the AMA to jointly lobby Abbott to make sporting fees for non professionals tax deductable (based on an activity test) .

That may be effective, but I don't think you'll get the AMA on board with the concussion discussion that's getting around at the moment.

Rhyming points!

MrTabua

Larry Dwyer (12)
Why doesn't the ARU grab the other codes and maybe the AMA to jointly lobby Abbott to make sporting fees for non professionals tax deductable (based on an activity test) .

Personally I'd prefer Abbot to do a Vichy!!

Imagine the outrage from Mungoes and Sean Fagan. Priceless.

Not sure if there will be a facist invasion in the immediate future :)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Why doesn't the ARU grab the other codes and maybe the AMA to jointly lobby Abbott to make sporting fees for non professionals tax deductable (based on an activity test) . What you give up initially should help arrest looming increases in health costs down the track . Encouraging the population towards a more active lifestyle could help save some sports including rugby and improve the national balance sheet as well as that of grass roots rugby amongst others . And if you want to get Shariah Hanson-Young of the greens on board extend it to tree climbing and hiking while they are at it , Clive- the mind may be willing but..

Although I think the Pulver/Hawker user pays strategy is straight out of the Abbott/Hockey playbook.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Some more positive indications re the next broadcast deal. Hopefully the finances will be back on track from 2016.

Certainly shows the value in pursuing global expansion of super rugby and the rugby championship.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...acks-US-test-helps-NZRU-turn-loss-into-profit

Meanwhile, the NZRU's long term financial health may be about to get even rosier with Sanzar's broadcast and media rights negotiations nearing completion.

Deals in the key markets of South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom are essentially agreed, but the long term details remain a significant work in progress.

What's got Sanzar excited is interest received yesterday from markets dubbed "rest of the world", which includes Europe, the Middle East, and parts of Asia.

"What I've seen is we will exceed our expectations in a number of markets because there is competition," Tew said.

Interest has been received from South America, USA, Canada, France, Italy, South East Asia, Japan, and even Turkey.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Is interesting how this is reported in different markets: NZ see foreign money as global exposure, AUS sees it as a weakness that we can't get the same money here.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think New Zealand rugby has become too top heavy - even more than Australian rugby. It's like nothing else matters except the All Blacks and the main purpose of everything else is to develop players. With other levels devalued it's no surprise crowds are down.

If the All Blacks ever go through a period of bad results the NZRU will face the same sort of trouble the ARU have over the last 10 years.

Having the financial success of a sport basically determined by the fortunes of one team that plays just 6 home games every year and 12-14 overall is very risky. Works better for the NZRU than it does for us though, as the All Blacks brand is so much more valuable.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
I think New Zealand rugby has become too top heavy - even more than Australian rugby. It's like nothing else matters except the All Blacks and the main purpose of everything else is to develop players. With other levels devalued it's no surprise crowds are down.

If the All Blacks ever go through a period of bad results the NZRU will face the same sort of trouble the ARU have over the last 10 years.

Having the financial success of a sport basically determined by the fortunes of one team that plays just 6 home games every year and 12-14 overall is very risky. Works better for the NZRU than it does for us though, as the All Blacks brand is so much more valuable.

I'm not sure that I see this as a problem. One of the great things about NZ rugby (and Europe) is that the game is so decentralised. You can live in Invercargill and represent the All Blacks. The same can't be said of Tamworth, Rockhampton, Wagga Wagga or Bendigo.

If all the teams are working to the same goal (play good rugby and produce good players) surely that values the systems that support those players - the clubs in local competitions. Right now, I think the ARU values the GPS schools rugby program, and the Sydney and Brisbane premier competitions.

The comps in Canberra, Melbourne and Perth have been supported by their respective Super Rugby franchises, but this is a pretty recent phenomenon. Until Jake White was in charge, pretty much all Canberra players were affiliated with a Sydney club.

I think Australian Rugby would be in much better shape if it followed some of what happens in NZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.