• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The reason JOC (James O'Connor) was absent from the RWC squad announcement...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
Because of his absence, the official team photo of Australia's 30-man World Cup squad was shot with 29 players. It is believed O’Connor’s image wil be digitally added.

I can't see the purpose in doing that. He missed the event, why add him? Let's say they win the world cup (*crossing fingers*) in 50 years time there'll be the photo in a rugby history book and he won't be in it. Just like that poor kid at high school who missed the school photo, so you'll never remember what he looks like.

Not intentionally being an asshole to the kid here, because I like him, he's talented and I really think he's a key cog in this team if we want the world cup. But he's made his bed, so fair enough that he lies in it.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
So Groucho, you would have JOC (James O'Connor) work harder how? Do extra running at training? Make more tackles in the game? It seems to me that this is one way that sport - out in the field, at any rate - is precisely not like a business is that not only do suspensions exist, they can and should be used when a player lets the team down.

T

Tireless Backrower

Groucho, a genuine question. If you were JO'N, how would you manage this situation, taking into account his previous indiscretions and the fact that previous sanctions (right or wrong) seem not to have worked? I personally think he should be stood down for a game, if for no other reason than to demonstrate to him that he is not indispensible, and to a lesser degree to impose a financial sanction.
But I would be interested in your approach.

I completely agree - though I dont see why you stand him down for 1 game: that only arguably harms the team if you think he is so important to it. This is another example of something that should have been severely punished long ago. i cant remember where the food fight was: send him home and send him Home after whatever happened on the Spring Tour.

I believe that Richard Tombs got Lynagh's nose out of joint on his first Wallaby tour because of his arrogance and Lynagh said Im not playing with that bloke (he probably said that blokes not being picked again). Tombs outplayed T J Horan in the State of the Union games for several years but when Horan got injured Tombs was bypassed (I am not, by the way, suggesting Tombs was as good as Horan - Horan is the greatest white man to have played the game)....so Tombs had to re-earn his stripes: he and Knox did not play a game in the 1991 RWC...but Tombs eventually played a few tests.

BTW if I'm J O'N I resign for the good of the game!!!!!!

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I will say this: O'Connor needed sitting on his arse long ago. Had he been, instead of being treated with kid gloves, this would not have happened. This bloke earns a shit load of money built on the backs of people who get and got paid nothing. Find out who paid for the 1979 jerseys worn by the Wallabies when they won the Bledisloe...that's how stuffed this game was....and he rides in and takes the glory without doing the hard yards.

Tell us what you do when your best employee turns out to have been bullying the other staff?

That is a bit much. You don't know JOC (James O'Connor) or the way he acts within Wallaby camp. To say he takes the glory 'without doing the hard yards' is rubbish.

And then you suggest he is bullying other players? No thanks, that is too far.

T

Tireless Backrower

Some might argue JO'N is the best thing Australian rugby has going for it at the moment.

Line 'em up.

What has he done for the game - I mean that as an invitation to list his achievements and contributions. Lets start at the Penrith U6s just so we're all on the same page

T

Tireless Backrower

That is a bit much. You don't know JOC (James O'Connor) or the way he acts within Wallaby camp. To say he takes the glory 'without doing the hard yards' is rubbish.

And then you suggest he is bullying other players? No thanks, that is too far.

i did not say that: the analogy is what do you do when your best employee has an issue that impacts on the other staff.....Faaaaaaaark

T

Tireless Backrower

He has managed to fuck our SANZAR buddies in the arse on a number of occasions when negotiating for things like securing the 5th Super Rugby team in the Rebels for instance.

D'oh: where does most of the money for SANZAR come from?
By the way - non of us see the Sanzar money that gets spent paying for the Umbrellas in Beiber Boy's cocktails

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Having thought about it, in the scheme of important events that could be missed in descending order of importance:

1. Game
2. Training
3. Recovery Session
4. Team announcement
5. General media event

In view of it being on the lighter end of the scale I say offer him the option of sitting on the bench for the AB's game or donating $10'000 to the UNHCR East Africa appeal.

Let him show how much he wants to play? If he chose the second option his stocks would be on the rise in my opinion.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
i did not say that: the analogy is what do you do when your best employee has an issue that impacts on the other staff.....Faaaaaaaark

No, I'm sorry that is not what you said at all. And if you meant to say 'what do you do when your best employee has an issue that impacts on the other staff' then it is a fucking suggestive and stupid way to say it. It goes with the rest of your post being both accusatory and ignorant.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
So Groucho, you would have JOC (James O'Connor) work harder how? Do extra running at training? Make more tackles in the game? It seems to me that this is one way that sport - out in the field, at any rate - is precisely not like a business is that not only do suspensions exist, they can and should be used when a player lets the team down.

There are many ways in which a player can work harder. He could do more press days, for example. He can do charity work. He can do additional school visits and meet and greet days. Make the 'punishment' fit the crime.

What I certainly don't mean is make him work harder at training or during games. A player's workload in training and during a game should always be optimal. Messing around with that as a form of punishment is just another way of inadvertently punishing the team.

I fail to see the benefit of applying a punishment that hurts others as much as it hurts the perpetrator.

Reactions: sjg

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
One more aspect of all this that has nothing to do with JO'C's poor team ethics and responsibilities to his employer, is whether elite athletes should, on fitness grounds, be drinking heavily when they are right in the middle of crucial training and performance periods. Australia has a huge BC game next Saturday. Many fitness and S&C experts who work at the top level will argue that elite teams playing any sport should have a zero alcohol policy throughout all major playing periods, as any alcohol in these periods, especially binge drinking, is not conducive to reaching and holding peak physical performance.

I get what you are saying but after great news like they had gotten, I don't begrudge them a night on the piss to celebrate. They just had to be responsible enough to meet their commitments the next day. Kurtley did that and no problems at all as he has done no wrong. Probably good for these young lads to get it out of their systems during the bye week.

Beale and Quade have had their issues in the last couple of years and have now matured into good responsible blokes, so hopefully O'Connor will take the same learning curve.

Drop him for the Brisbane Bledisloe as punishment and move on. The dumb bastard has just probably given Drew the leg up he needs to take his wing spot. Not very bright James.

T

Tireless Backrower

There are many ways in which a player can work harder. He could do more press days, for example. He can do charity work. He can do additional school visits and meet and greet days. Make the 'punishment' fit the crime.

What I certainly don't mean is make him work harder at training or during games. A player's workload in training and during a game should always be optimal. Messing around with that as a form of punishment is just another way of inadvertently punishing the team.

I fail to see the benefit of applying a punishment that hurts others as much as it hurts the perpetrator.

Send him to AA

K

Kenny Frikken Powers

WTF was Beale doing at the Bondi RSL....what is wrong with these blokes? Can't they do something that does not involve beer? Go to a movie, dinner, watch TV? Go to the Australian U19s?

Beale is a big bingo player....known around all the RSL clubs as such

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
TB - take some advice from the bloke that used to run this forum (that's me). Turn off the computer. Have another beer. Tell the wife what a bunch of pussies we are, whatever. But you need to give it a rest. OK? :police:

T

Tireless Backrower

TB - take some advice from the bloke that used to run this forum (that's me). Turn off the computer. Have another beer. Tell the wife what a bunch of pussies we are, whatever. But you need to give it a rest. OK? :police:

Give what a rest?

sjg

Frank Nicholson (4)
any punishment that hinders the wallabies as a whole isnt really constructive, however whatever it is needs to be a slap in the face for JOC (James O'Connor). i think the idea of charity work or community service would be excellent. he needs to restore the publics faith in him, and if he is concerned about his brand as hes previously stated - he should get out there every spare moment he has and help some people out. he can earn his team mates respect back on the training paddock.

Status
Not open for further replies.