• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The renaming of the "Cook Cup" decision

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Everything has a name (even if it ends up being known as something else).

It's mostly just marketing but it's nice when the marketing reflects something important in our game (like Ella and Mobbs).

The Australia England Rugby Cup is also a name. It's just incredibly generic.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Everything has a name (even if it ends up being known as something else).

It's mostly just marketing but it's nice when the marketing reflects something important in our game (like Ella and Mobbs).

The Australia England Rugby Cup is also a name. It's just incredibly generic.
Yep fair enough, I know ABs play every 2nd team for some cup, generally apart from Bledisloe ,I don't think I can name any of them.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yep fair enough, I know ABs play every 2nd team for some cup, generally apart from Bledisloe ,I don't think I can name any of them.
But that is cool right? I love that we play every country for a different trophy and what that trophy is about. Shows a connection to history and between the countries and what an international game rugby is. Remember the old days with team flags or plaques it has that feel

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
But that is cool right? I love that we play every country for a different trophy and what that trophy is about. Shows a connection to history and between the countries and what an international game rugby is. Remember the old days with team flags or plaques it has that feel
Yep good point Jimmy, does actually look good on sideline, and good to have something to hoist after the game.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Its a good point but in reality, as you mentioned with flags and plaques does it still hold any relevance? Marketing refers to the game or series not the Tin Cup. I suspect players don't know what it is (the Tin Cup) at times and its starting to get to a point where everyone gets a prize because of some "historical" reason that only the super rusted-on know about (and the history can be remanufactured to suit at anytime anyway).

With the game being players by professionals I suspect that on many occasions players would be happy to skip the Tin Cup prestation as they have no idea nor care unless its got some real significance beyond winning "just" another game. It has limited appeal to many supporters so and I would question what value it holds to teams or supporters at times.

I think less is more and add value. Lets face it, you notice McLaren or Lamborghini on the road without paying attention to all the other cars. We have also seen in the past teams can really can de-value the Tin Cups as a means to an end. The RC a few years ago was treated as nothing more than a warm up comp by SA as a RWC stepping stone. I suspect many series this year will be the same - RWC prep is the focus so the Tim Cup is just not even in the thinking.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Those saying the name of the cup, or the flags, or whatever is unimportant need to watch the great documentary where that ex-marine taught a bunch of kids what it means to believe they could aim for something. Truly stirring stuff to see them all turn around into a well drilled unit.

Documentaries like that should be mandatory in schools

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Those saying the name of the cup, or the flags, or whatever is unimportant need to watch the great documentary where that ex-marine taught a bunch of kids what it means to believe they could aim for something. Truly stirring stuff to see them all turn around into a well drilled unit.

Documentaries like that should be mandatory in schools

Oh, I remember that one…

1655892208366.jpeg

Attachments

• 1655892161865.jpeg
    1655892161865.jpeg
    18.2 KB · Views: 49

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
Mark Ella is the Australia rugby player older supporters think of when people talk about playing rugby the Australian way, running with the ball in two hands, multiple touches in a single phase, putting players through gaps and enjoying himself.
I hope the new trophy is a cup, it is a bit difficult celebrating a win by drinking beer out of a plate or a shield.