• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Size of our Aussie Forwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
In general the forwards in the Australian franchises are certainly not undersized. Whether they have adequate strength is another matter.

I have previously written at length criticising the lack of a heavy strength focus in the Wallabies' training programs. Anecdotal evidence suggests that a similar situation might apply in the franchises. I did hear encouraging reports that Waratah players were handling heavy poundages in the lead up to this season, but my concern would be whether that emphasis on strength is being maintained now that the season is underway. In the strength-oriented sports athletes can de-train very rapidly strengthwise if they do not continue to shift heavy loads.

Developing high range strength and power is particularly important for Australian players - forwards and backs - given that by temperament and culture we are not particularly aggressive people. I would question whether in other rugby countries anyone would bother to start a thread headed "Hard men of New Zealand rugby", "Hard men of South African rugby", or "Hard men of English rugby", given that playing hard is such a common characteristic.

Until we Australians develop a respect for strength and physicality and our supporters can learn to appreciate and enjoy the subtleties of trench warfare we will struggle at critical times. As evidence I cite the 2007 World Cup where the ferocity at the breakdown of the Northern Hemisphere teams remains for me the defining characteristic of that tournament.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Cast your thoughts back to 2008- Robbie Deans first game against the AB's in Sydney, where the Wallabies won convincingly. I rewatched the first half of this game this week, and it was as though the teams had switched jerseys. The sheer ferocity of the Wallabies forwards was stunning, the way they performed all of their actions with aggression and power. It can be done: I suspect the players just need a kick up the arse and to get more fired up in the sheds before they come out.

D

Dunnman

It's not the size of the forwards its the motion of the ocean.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Cast your thoughts back to 2008- Robbie Deans first game against the AB's in Sydney, where the Wallabies won convincingly. I rewatched the first half of this game this week, and it was as though the teams had switched jerseys. The sheer ferocity of the Wallabies forwards was stunning, the way they performed all of their actions with aggression and power. It can be done: I suspect the players just need a kick up the arse and to get more fired up in the sheds before they come out.

I was at that game and it was one of our best performances in the last 5 or more years, especially in the pack. Unfortunately in the week that followed, the AB's found their collective mojo and blew us off the park in Auckland.

Reactions: DPK
Status
Not open for further replies.