• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Springboks at the Rugby World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
South Africa: Frans Steyn; JP Pietersen, Jaque Fourie, Jean de Villiers, Bryan Habana; Morne Steyn, Fourie du Preez; Pierre Spies, Schalk Burger, Heinrich Brussow; Victor Matfield, Danie Rossouw; Jannie du Plessis, John Smit (capt), Tendai Mtawarira.
Replacements: Bismarck du Plessis, Gurthro Steenkamp, CJ van der Linde, Johann Muller, Willem Alberts, Francois Hougaard, Butch James

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
Starting 15, zero surprises. Would have preferred one less prop (bye bye CJ) on the bench, and either Lambie or de Jongh, or Aplon in his place

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Starting 15, zero surprises. Would have preferred one less prop (bye bye CJ) on the bench, and either Lambie or de Jongh, or Aplon in his place

Wonder if Lambie is fit yet?

Rain and wind forecast for Welly. So we'll keep it in the forwards. Welsh scrum looked crap against the Poms so we'll have a red hot go in the set piece.

P

potjiekos

@ Light..... Had to 'pop' my virtual cherry at some point!! Couldn't let you guys have all the fun. (hehe)

@ Blue...... Suppose I should.... where the heck's my manners?

To the uninitiated, POTJIEKOS literally translated, is a small pot of delicious tasting stew (depending on the cullinary skills of the chef......and might I add his level of sobriety as well!! ).. The traditional "potje", which is slow cooked in a three legged cast iron pot over the hot coals of an open fire, has garnered an aura of mysticism within South African folklore, so mush so that 'invitees'...an honour usually reserved for close friends and family), would much rather attend for the convivial atmosphere permeating around the camp fire, than the potjie itself!

check out these links: 1. http://m.articlesbase.com/non-ficti...ue-african-hospitalitypotjie-kos-4663434.html and 2. http://www.potjiekosworld.com..

@ PB...... Dankie Ou Grote !! (translation: G'day mate!!)..... hehehe

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
South Africa: Frans Steyn; JP Pietersen, Jaque Fourie, Jean de Villiers, Bryan Habana; Morne Steyn, Fourie du Preez; Pierre Spies, Schalk Burger, Heinrich Brussow; Victor Matfield, Danie Rossouw; Jannie du Plessis, John Smit (capt), Tendai Mtawarira.
Replacements: Bismarck du Plessis, Gurthro Steenkamp, CJ van der Linde, Johann Muller, Willem Alberts, Francois Hougaard, Butch James

That bench will be OK if SA are in front at 60 mins. But if something goes wrong and they are 7+ points down James is all they've got to spark something . No Lambie, no Aplon, there is just no creativity. So obvious they are going to kick and chase, I hope Wales run at them all day and the ref doesn't let them kill the rucks. Watching SA is like watching AFL - kick it in the air and run like hell. Boring as batshit.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
@ PB...... Dankie Ou Grote !! (translation: G'day mate!!)..... hehehe
Always thought Ou Grote mean a bit more then G'Day mate? So dankie for the compliment. Good to have you on board, waiting to see the province/club/school you support?

potjiekos.jpg
compliments from the kok.

REDinCPT

Sydney Middleton (9)
daars 'n lekker potjie

not much has been said about the south africa v namibia game. i get the feeling that this is going to be quite brutal with the namibians looking for blood as much as the win. no doubt the bokke will win but i think it'll be quite interesting to watch.

P

potjiekos

@ Hawko.... why you go an' ruin the ambience now mate? ...love the 'batshit' analogy though....classic!! (lol)

Oh how I'm salivating at the prospect of having the Welsh run at us, so that we can tackle them into submission, like the naughty juiced up provincial players that they are!! What a prospect...mmmm. Ever heard of Muhammad Ali's 'rope-a-dope' move he pulled on George Foreman in their now legendary 'Rumble In The Jungle' in the erstwhile Zaire? Look it up... you may learn a thing or two. *wink*

Come on now Hawky baby, likening the boks play to boring batshit (whatever that may be...hehe), is like comparing your beloved wobblies to a bunch of 7-a-side wannabees, that has to watch copious amounts of video analysis of the boks bullying the darkness in Port Elizabeth in order to learn the true meaning of the word 'mongrel'.

You know as well as I do, that almost all the top tier rugby playing nations employ the 'kick-and-chase' strategy as part of their game plan, regardless of whether they want to front up as real men or treat the ball as a hot potatoe whilst prancing around on their twinkle toes (in their tootoos <got to love Pdivvy>....if I may add) out wide. The boks' just manage to employ it more effectively than most.

But dont get me wrong, I do understand your frustration, what with the wobblies competing against rugby league, AFL, cricket, soccer, darts, bowls, croquet, dressmaking, etc.... for their spot in the Aussieland sunlight. I'm praying for you my friend.... *wink*

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
South Africa against Fiji:
15 Pat Lambie, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Jaque Fourie, 12 Frans Steyn, 11 Odwa Ndungane, 10 Morne Steyn, 9 Fourie du Preez, 8 Pierre Spies, 7 Schalk Burger, 6 Heinrich Brussow, 5 Danie Rossouw, 4 Bakkies Botha, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 John Smit (c), 1 Gurthro Steenkamp
Subs: 16 Bismarck du Plessis, 17 Tendai Mtawarira, 18 Johann Muller, 19 Willem Alberts, 20 Francois Hougaard, 21 Ruan Pienaar, 22 Juan de Jongh.

Thoughts:
1. Lambie - great to see him back
2. Ndungane on wing before Hougaard and Aplon. At first I thought wtf but this is a defensive selection - he is a very good defender and that is needed against the big wings. Hougaard is seen as a super sub. I would have liked to see him at 9 but du Preez needs game time. Aplon was poor in tests this year so not surprised.
3. Spies. What. The. Fuck. He was nowhere against Wales. I am starting to believe he doesn't have any feel for the game. Doesn't run himself into position. Doesn't know when to hit the rucks. Travesty that Alberts sits on the wood.
4. Don't know why Muller doesn't start at 5. He did well against Wales.
5. Happy with Steyn at 12 and bring de Jongh on later in the game.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
At least P. Divvy has given up (temporarily) on wasting one of the 7 reserve spots with an extra prop.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
To answer point 4 for you Blue, Muller is having a fitness test soon I think, he isn't 100% fit. Interesting that Roussouw will be callling the line-out aswell.

I have no idea how Spies gets so many chances, Alberts is definatly the better option.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
From Planet Rugby:

South Africa coach Peter de Villiers has made four changes to his line-up that will face off with Fiji on Saturday.

Lock Victor Matfield (hamstring) and backs Butch James (hip flexor), Jean de Villiers (rib cartilage) and Bryan Habana (patella tendon) were all unavailable for selection due to injury.

Johann Muller will undergo a late fitness test on a tight hamstring. If he is unavailable he will be replaced on the bench by Francois Louw.

Matfield's place is taken by the returning Bakkies Botha; Odwa Ndungane steps into the left wing berth in place of Habana; Pat Lambie starts at full-back with Francois Steyn moving forward to fill De Villiers' inside centre spot and James' place on the bench is taken by the versatile Ruan Pienaar.

In addition, Bok coach De Villiers made two tactical changes. Gurthrö Steenkamp was promoted to start at loosehead prop in place of Tendai Mtawarira while the return to a conventional four/three split between forwards and backs among the replacements opens the way for Juan de Jongh to make a first appearance on a Rugby World Cup teamsheet.

De Villiers said Willem Alberts would act as a replacement lock if Muller failed to recover.

"We have had injury problems at lock but we have versatile players to cover for most situations," said De Villiers.

"Danie Rossouw has now been picked to start at 4, 5, 7 and 8 this season and will call the lineouts this weekend.

"Willem Alberts is on the bench to cover four of the back five positions in the pack and we have a couple of scrumhalves on the bench who cover three other positions as well, so we are fortunate.

"Against a tough proposition like Fiji you'd prefer to have all your players available but this is tournament rugby and we picked our squad knowing that we would have to cover for many situations."

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Standard South Africa, they need to be forced to pick their best backline. Lambie is wicked.

Reactions: DPK

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Standard South Africa, they need to be forced to pick their best backline. Lambie is wicked.
The Lampie pick in 15 is a good one. It give us lots of options. Morne, Frans Steyn and lampie can drift between 10/12/15. Pienaars pick on the bench is a big waiste, would have Butch in his place.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'd prefer Butch on the bench too but I'm looking forward to this game. The Boks will put Fiji away and solidly I think, I don't sniff much of an upset here

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I'd prefer Butch on the bench too but I'm looking forward to this game. The Boks will put Fiji away and solidly I think, I don't sniff much of an upset here

Won't make sense. You have two other guys on the park who can cover 10 plus Pienaar on the bench. So another 10/12 cover makes no sense.

I am happy that we can bring real pace off the bench in de Jongh and Hougaard.

Status
Not open for further replies.