• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Tahs 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Agreed TOCC - signings for 2010 should be more interesting.

The problem with the ARU change of heart about foreigners, was that it was made too late - at the beginning of September this year.

But for 2010 Oz franchises can look at players from NZ and the RSA who come off contract in 2009 and they may get a bit of interest from players in the Euro leagues who finish their season in May 2009 and are off contract then.

For those who reckon we are no chance to get a foreigner who plays in Europe: don't discount that some may have a hankering to have a stint in the S14, as Michalak did. They could play in 2010 and be back for the 2010/11 season over there.

And Oz is not the worst place in the world to have a stint at something.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I posted this on TSF re starting lineups for next year so thought I would copy it over here. * means Wallaby.

15. Sam Norton-Knight*
14. Lachlan Turner*
13. Robert Horne
12. Tom Carter
11. Lote*
10. Halangalu/Beale
9. Burgess*
8. Palu*
7. Waugh*
6. Fava*
5. Caldwell
4. Mumm*
3. Baxter*
2. Polata-Nau*
1. Benn Robinson*

16. Frier*
17. Palmer
18. Some young fella - Thomson or Douglas maybe.
19. Beau Robinson, Mowen or Coridas
20. Sheehan*
21. Beale/Halangahu
22. Tim Tam Tahu*

Not as much depth as in the past, particularly in the front row, locks and backrow. Backs need a good 10. Not sure, yet, if we have one. Beale is, apparently, about half a Dunning overweight. Halangahu played well in club rugby last season and is improving. Carter, Tahu and Horne will probably swap around. If Tahu goes well, I reckon he will play 13 and Horne 12. If he is struggling, Carter will be 12 and Horne 13. I am yet to be convinced Tahu understands how to defend which is why he is on the bench.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Beale is apparently back on track as he can now train.

I think Beau Robinson is a better player than Fava.

Tahu will get the defensive patterns right, Tahu is a great tackler, he just has to back himself and smash some people.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Cutter said:
Not as much depth as in the past, particularly in the front row, locks and backrow. Backs need a good 10. Not sure, yet, if we have one.

Good call. Couple of injuries and we're in strife. With the reports of the Tahs planning to play a higher pace/more ball in hand style of rugby, bench relief becomes even more important.

Really hoping Beale steps up and has a great year. I don't know that we have a leader in the backline, so we need plenty of direction and intent from our flyhalf.

T

TOCC

fatprop said:

Tahu will get the defensive patterns right, Tahu is a great tackler, he just has to back himself and smash some people.

beau is a openside flanker though

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
TOCC said:
fatprop said:

beau is a openside flanker though

Neither is Fava a 6, Robinson played 6 in the ARC.

It will all depend on the lineout. Neither is a real lineout option and they will have to be clever. If Thompson can be anything like a decent lock, Mumm would be a better option at 6.

T

TOCC

i rate Fava ahead of Beau in terms of blindside flanker attributes though..
overall i think Beau is/will be a better player, but Fava is more suited to 6 then beau is.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm hoping Ben Mowen shows his true potential next season. Or not. And then comes home to QLD and shows it with the Reds.

T

TOCC

i agree Noddy, he has the talent to play well and by all accounts did his selection chances great favours by the way he played in Fiji.

I fear if he doesnt get a decent shot in 2009 then he will be another player to move overseas

T

TOCC

I think the new team will only be formed by the start of 2011..

I would hope so anyway, if you were a new team you would at least like a solid 12months of recruiting before your pre-season started anyway

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
TOCC said:
if you were a new team you would at least like a solid 12months of recruiting before your pre-season started anyway
or you could follow the Force's model and have a solid 12 months of sucking

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Noddy said:
I'm hoping Ben Mowen shows his true potential next season. Or not. And then comes home to QLD and shows it with the Reds.

He was in Randwick's 2nds for most of the year.

He has a bit to do.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
fatprop said:
Noddy said:
He was in Randwick's 2nds for most of the year. He has a bit to do.

So was Chisholm, and see how well he went recently.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
there are rumours that rob horne and tom carter both have groin injuries that might keep them out for a majority of the super 14 season...

anyone heard anything of this?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A bit of a changing of the guard, Tony D'Arcy has left with Scott Bowen moving in as high performance manager.

So now we have Hickey, Bowen & Barakat all in roles with the Tahs, and all experienced ex sydney club coaches

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So what do you guys think of the news that Justin Harrison was a tah target, before he re-signed with Bath? I haven't seen him play for awhile but wouldve thought he could only be a liability.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I think I wrote about 10 pages back that he'd be a fantastic 2-year signing. Mr Grant didn't agree, and I guess Plank didn't either.

F

formeropenside

I cant believe they let someone like Ed O'D get away, myself. And I guess Rudi Vedelago must really be very retired. To me, that kind of shows up the "have a 5th team and they will stay" theory: there are too many players that just dont.

Unless we can match the money front, which we probably cant, we'll always lose out to the NH.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
formeropenside said:
To me, that kind of shows up the "have a 5th team and they will stay" theory: there are too many players that just dont.

Anybody who thinks that all the players will stay if there is a 5th team is being unrealistic and anybody who thought anybody said that they would all stay in Oz has probably not read posts on the other thread closely enough.

If you think anybody did indicate that, go to the other thread and debate with them. I certainly didn't.

We can go through the list on the other thread and come up with 40 names we have to strike off, but all we need is a fraction of them. It's why I always mention that a realistic 12 decent players of the 100 or so listed, who would not have gone offshore, would be enough to form a core of experience to put other players around.

Of course the names of the 100 players and the 12 would be different by the time a 5th team is announced, if it ever is.

But some would stay knowing that a 5th team is going to start, and even more will stay, incrementally, after the 5th team commences playing. The transition years will be the hardest, not only on the 5th team but also on the other teams whose players are poached.

Who knows - of those 100 players we may even get 3 or 4 back because of a 5th S14 franchise, either for that team or for other teams who have lost players to it.

A few years down the track after the 5th team starts the average standard of the 5 teams should not be much lower than the 4 present teams. If the ARC ever gets going again the number of 'years down the track' will be fewer and the gap should become less noticeable and eventually invisible.

But that is under present paradigms. If the economic crisis worsens and changes the playing field long term, for example, and Oz players are queuing up at airports, I will beg leave to retreat from my position.

Status
Not open for further replies.