• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallaby gameplan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It is a good point. They have looked better when they have been more direct. However it is harder to do it from the start of the game.

I'd like a 5/2 split for this game, but if we pick either McCabe or Beale we probably can't afford to risk it.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I expect the ABs to play tight and grind us up for big segments of this game, over the last few years Aus has got into quality positions against an expansive ABs;and the ABs have flicked the switch, gone more direct and got home.

Unlike the Boks they will kick their goals and hold the ball - it is going to be bloody tough.

I would agree about the kicking if Carter was there but he's not. Whether Cruden can kick under the pressure of a SF will be lost on us all until game day.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Pressure on Weipu

My latest thought is that Piri Piri needs to feel the heat from our pack. This is a direct borrow from our opponents playbook. Pressure 9 and see how their new No 10 performs.
Also, Piri Piri has got a huge amount of responsibility in this game on top of a standard No 9's usual duties.
He's the kicker - Goal kicks, box kicks
He's making the backline calls.
Senior partner in the 9/10 combo.

I like the thought of being able to harass him into having a reasonably poor game and hopefully it will affect all of his responsibilities.

Big ask though to get thru their pack to get to him.

I

International Badboy

agree with you if we own Weepu we will effectively cancel out their backs and leave it a bash out between the forwards which im sort of optimistic about

da_grubster

Ted Fahey (11)
Agree Pumas played well, but as you point out kiwis always looked like they'd win. Tho Slade was looking like crap and the Pumas did have a good 20.

If the Kiwis lose tho, I think history will disagree with you Grub and say yet again the build up was too soft.

Victim of your own success really, because you did have a semifinalist in your pool. Problem is the frogs went belly up at 15 mins.

Potentially, although if we do lose there will be 1001 thoeries on why we didnt win. The biggest reason will be the disruption at first 5 and not dominating a wallaby pack because that will be the reason if we don't win on game day.

P

proton

WEll all

The time has come whoever wins will have earned it.

To beat the ABs lead from the front. There is no tomorrow so put it all out there. I recckon Quade will pulll his finger out he doesnt have to compete with DC. The back line needs to do everything at pace. If they can out pace the ABs commit close in at the breakdown and break thru the fringes they'll do well. There will only be a try or drop goal in this one and it will be an epic game. Aussie deserve to be there if they put pressure on early and put the ABs off there game they should win. Go JOC (James O'Connor) this is it crunch time......

P

proton

Piri's too slow..and is only good when forwards are going forward...
My latest thought is that Piri Piri needs to feel the heat from our pack. This is a direct borrow from our opponents playbook. Pressure 9 and see how their new No 10 performs.
Also, Piri Piri has got a huge amount of responsibility in this game on top of a standard No 9's usual duties.
He's the kicker - Goal kicks, box kicks
He's making the backline calls.
Senior partner in the 9/10 combo.

I like the thought of being able to harass him into having a reasonably poor game and hopefully it will affect all of his responsibilities.

Big ask though to get thru their pack to get to him.

antimony

Herbert Moran (7)
I would Imagine a return to a much more familiar shape for the us against the AB. One of the curious things about our proximity and the number of times we play each other (and having a NZ coach?) is that Trans-Tasman clashes are not about imposing your game plan on the other team (as SA did so well to us) because the base plans are essentially the same. Its more about imposing your will onto the other team, making inches in collisions, staying composed and playing the right way at the right time.

So I expect to see both teams chance their arm and play with width if its on. Kick from there own half. Keep it tight between the halfback and the forwards in the oppositions half until they get good ball. The Wallabies to particularly ask questions early, I don’t think they fear being run down like we used to and nothing will make the ABs doubt themselves like being behind on the score board.
I would dearly love to see some set plays (remember them) directed at Cruden and Genia to limit his box kicking while looking to pass it back to the blindside occasionally.

Pocock to return to trying to get penalties from the opposition holding on rather than just never letting go after all the talk from AB's coaches and really push the off side line to pressure Weepu while the ref is looking at the breakdown.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
My predictions:

The AB's will kick from within their own 40, but will otherwise use pick and go alot and Nonu one pass out until an opportunity arises. Effective pick and go takes Pocock out of the game and has worked for the AB's against us plenty of times before and allows their good tight forwards to dominate.

We have to find a way of nullifying the all blacks pick and go and force them to go wide before they are ready. This really just comes down to the Wobbs hitting hard, and making the first up hits count as turnovers will be harder this week. PLaying smart field position and making the AB's cover distance in defence whenever possible will also help.

Oh, finally, I fear what might happen is the AB's get ahead early. An early score for theWobbs is almost essential, a bit like Mortlocks intercept in 2003, to create self doubt in both the blacks and their fans.

Reading this again, its all very obvious.

S

Squeak

Agree. If the tackling is dominant a Pocock or McCaw will drag a penalty out of it, as they're both smart enough to adjust from the Lawrence shoitfight. Neither team can afford to kick too much possession away or play one dimensional rugby. They know each other too well, and both teams have the full set of weaponry. The 7s are definitely the tipping point, and both can expect the kind of belting that saw Brussow off after 20 mins last week.

Toddy

Chris McKivat (8)
Argentina showed there is room between the AB's scrum and 1st 5. McCaw and Read both took off from the scrum at a million miles an hour and imo that was to protect the 1st 5. Maybe an area to target if the Wallabies get a steady scrum.

Also, weather for Sunday is starting to look better. Just morning showers at the moment.

S

Squeak

I think the blacks would be smart to start Donald and change over to Cruden when defences start opening up. He offers little in attack, but the defensive efforts in the first 50 or so minutes are going to be ballistic. Cruden has target written all over him.

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)
I think the blacks would be smart to start Donald and change over to Cruden when defences start opening up. He offers little in attack, but the defensive efforts in the first 50 or so minutes are going to be ballistic. Cruden has target written all over him.

I'd be surprised if the duck gets on the park, unless the ABs are 20 points up with 7 minutes to play.

S

Squeak

I think you're right, and that's going to leave a lot of covering up for Weepu and the back row, all in exchange for some dubious attacking prowess.

Status
Not open for further replies.