• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Things that get up my nose about rugby these days

Status
Not open for further replies.

HKTiger

Allen Oxlade (6)
That is incorrect. The law is as follows:

17.4 OFFSIDE AT THE MAUL

(f) When players of the team who are not in possession of the ball in the maul voluntarily leave
the maul such that there are no players of that team left in the maul, the maul may continue
and there are two offside lines. The offside line for the team in possession runs through the
hindmost foot of the hindmost player in the maul and for the team not in possession it is a
line that runs through the foremost foot of the foremost player of the team in possession at
the maul.
Sanction: Penalty kick

(g) When players of the team who are not in possession of the ball in the maul voluntarily leave
the maul such that there are no players of that team left in the maul, players of that team
may rejoin the maul providing that the first player binds on the foremost player of the team
in possession of the ball.
Sanction: Penalty kick

They are playing within the laws of the game. It is up to the defending team to maintain contact with the maul, not for the attacking team to find defenders to attach to.

I clearly stated "splintered". The back 3 players of a maul cannot splinter away from the maul and "form a new maul". If I wasn't clear, that's what I'm referring to. The English do it real well with a 6 man maul. the front three go left and take the defenders and the back 3 go right with no defenders. The back three have disengaged from the maul and started a new phase. very few refs pick up on this. The law states voluntary. That's not splintering.

RyanP

Bob McCowan (2)
Very true. In that case, you are correct, sorry about the confusion.

17.5 SUCCESSFUL END TO A MAUL
A maul ends successfully when :
• the ball or a player with the ball leaves the maul

S

spooony

The rules that keep on changing to please the Northern Hemisphere. Especially the break down rule. They keep on complicating matters. Then add inconsistent referees and what you get is normally a team getting penalized costing them the game because ref A interprets the law different than ref B.

Here is a good piece I found

Dave Morton writes an interesting and humorous piece in a seasonal rant. So please read on and enjoy
Of course I never played International Rugby. I never even played club 1st XV rugby, but I’ve got an imagination haven’t I? I can see, I can think.

So here I am in windy Wellington, at the Cake Tin, or whatever they call it. It’s about minus five degrees, with the wind blowing directly in my face, and I’m suppose to stand stock still while these blokes perform a war dance, a grand little pre-match warm-up exercise for them.

What I really want to do is moon the buggers (except it’s too cold), or charge them like the Irish did, or do the hokey-cokey, or just ignore them. Campese did that, went off to practice his kicking at the other end.

But if I do any of that the IRB will fine me. I’ve already had my mouthguard, eyelids and finger nails inspected for illegal logos. A piece of dirt on my thumb looked a bit like the Maserati trident (they said) and I had to wash it off.

I know we’re well paid, very well paid, but I don’t think I could afford the zillion dollar fine for ‘disrespecting’ this old Maori tradition. After all, they’ve been performing the Haka at home International Matches since the dawn of time, right back to 1987, would you believe?

You’ve got to respect a tradition like that, so I’ll just stand here looking frightened, like I’m supposed to do. It doesn’t take much acting skill, to be honest, but if you ask me, the fifteen things that are wrong with modern rugby are standing right in front of me.

Oh, I’ve just realised, the replacements are out there as well. There’s more things wrong with rugby than I thought!

Have a good Christmas, everyone.

Dave

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/sedgl...hat-are-wrong-with-rugby-football-460846.html

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
What shits me?

Crashball. So much mindless fucking crashball, whether it's one out from the ruck or in midfield. And it doesn't even seem to be re-setting when things go wrong. It seems just to be a lazy/conservative "don't know what else to do"

Set up a pick and drive, quick ruck, offload or man on your hip with a hit up is fine - but the mindless 1:1 crashball brings rugby closer to league than any other malady in the game

/rant

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The rules that keep on changing to please the Northern Hemisphere. Especially the break down rule. They keep on complicating matters. Then add inconsistent referees and what you get is normally a team getting penalized costing them the game because ref A interprets the law different than ref B.

Here is a good piece I found

Dave Morton writes an interesting and humorous piece in a seasonal rant. So please read on and enjoy
Of course I never played International Rugby. I never even played club 1st XV rugby, but I’ve got an imagination haven’t I? I can see, I can think.

So here I am in windy Wellington, at the Cake Tin, or whatever they call it. It’s about minus five degrees, with the wind blowing directly in my face, and I’m suppose to stand stock still while these blokes perform a war dance, a grand little pre-match warm-up exercise for them.

What I really want to do is moon the buggers (except it’s too cold), or charge them like the Irish did, or do the hokey-cokey, or just ignore them. Campese did that, went off to practice his kicking at the other end.

But if I do any of that the IRB will fine me. I’ve already had my mouthguard, eyelids and finger nails inspected for illegal logos. A piece of dirt on my thumb looked a bit like the Maserati trident (they said) and I had to wash it off.

I know we’re well paid, very well paid, but I don’t think I could afford the zillion dollar fine for ‘disrespecting’ this old Maori tradition. After all, they’ve been performing the Haka at home International Matches since the dawn of time, right back to 1987, would you believe?

You’ve got to respect a tradition like that, so I’ll just stand here looking frightened, like I’m supposed to do. It doesn’t take much acting skill, to be honest, but if you ask me, the fifteen things that are wrong with modern rugby are standing right in front of me.

Oh, I’ve just realised, the replacements are out there as well. There’s more things wrong with rugby than I thought!

Have a good Christmas, everyone.

Dave

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/sedgl...hat-are-wrong-with-rugby-football-460846.html
Lol only trouble with this fellas little moan is it untrue, he can do whatever he wants during a haka, so long as he stays behind 10m line, and there is one thing that pisses me off with rugby at moment, idiots write these columns and other idiots read them and repeat them as gospel, when the smallest of sense would tell you it wrong.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
What shits me?

Crashball. So much mindless fucking crashball, whether it's one out from the ruck or in midfield. And it doesn't even seem to be re-setting when things go wrong. It seems just to be a lazy/conservative "don't know what else to do"

Set up a pick and drive, quick ruck, offload or man on your hip - but the mindless 1:1 crashball brings rugby closer to league than any other malady in the game

/rant
Agree Gagger, I think to often crashball (as is mindless little kicks over top) is used as lazy option, instead of having planned attack of it!

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
What shits me?

Set up a pick and drive, quick ruck, offload or man on your hip - but the mindless 1:1 crashball brings rugby closer to league than any other malady in the game

/rant

I liked this gaggs but it does help our nippy (when selected) backs scoot around these trundling behemoths when attacking. Also, loved it when we had a great crashballer in mortlock. That said, I hate a crash ball 12, especially when we've got diggers, mitchell or JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing waiting all day for the ball

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
It's better than kicking it away. And dangerous backs are more dangerous against disorganised defences. A little bit of go forward in the middle of the field can pull the forwards about, tire them and leave the props behind for Genia to run around...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'm not just talking midfield, I'm also talking about that one-out slow ball to slow ball one off the ruck. Telegraphed rugby in slow motion

Yeah the one off, 30cm drive for a stand start, is just dire.

What happened to having another unit driving on their hip?

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not exactly to do with rugby...

People that post on forums without reading at least the last page or 2 of the discussion and then fuck it up for everyone else. Is this indicative of people who want to be heard rather than listen to the opinion of others? POI: I don't actually mind smart arse comments, adds to the banter

Status
Not open for further replies.