• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tim Horan - What Were You Thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Great player, but some of the things he says/writes in the media are quite ridiculous really and it makes you question his knowledge of the game at times.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
the article has a bit of hyperbole but he does pick up on some key changes in appraoch

The way they counter-rucked and the way they were dominant at the breakdown had a very Kiwi feel to it. Most coaches have a tactic to slow the ball down against Queensland Reds - but it was more than that.

NSW were disrupting the ball and significantly affecting the Queensland momentum.

It obviously wasn't enough to get a win, but you could see what Michael Foley was trying to achieve with the counter-rucking. The Waratahs forwards were going in fours and fives, not ones and twos.

They've clearly made a pact that you either win or disrupt the ball because you are going to be two or three defensive players short.

Michael Foley has spoken in the pre-season about playing to NSW's strengths, and their strength certainly is within their forward pack.

It would have been nice early in the season to see the Waratahs backline play with some width and attack but there wasn't a lot of opportunity. It hurts me to say it as a back but you are only as good as your forwards allow you to be with a platform, so the backs should have no excuses in coming weeks.
Guys like Wycliff Palu, Tatafu Polota-Nau and Benn Robinson were strong but the standout was Dave Dennis. The disruption he put into the lineout on the Reds' throw was huge, his running and tackling strong and workrate around the field tireless.
Dennis has an opportunity to really stand up this year and make a name for himself.
The blindside flanker had the chance to kick stones when NSW signed Rocky Elsom in his position, and then made him captain.

But Dennis took it as a challenge, and that's the sort of attitude Michael Foley will want to see from all his players. A strong, successful side has players pushing each other for positions and relishing the battle.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
"The way they counter-rucked and the way they were dominant at the breakdown had a very Kiwi feel to it."

I actually agree with him here. NZ team in blue jerseys - a little to much literation I feel.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
As Iain Payten has said, it was supposed to be like a team from across the ditch, not the same as one

S

spooony

Yes but what about the Kiwi like counter attacks from kicks that sunk their boat against the Reds?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
if he said like a good kiwi pack, no one would have an issue, but an AB pack? meh
To be strictly accurate, "All Blacks" only gets a mention in the headline. It's more enticing from the editor's point of view.

Horan's own words were "it looked like a New Zealand team playing in blue jerseys". He may even have have meant "the" NZ team but he actually wrote (the indefinite) "a" NZ team, which is more ambiguous.

Having said that, I agree that ex-players like Tim Horan are not always the most incisive thinkers or writers on the game.

Mark Ella is another example. Great player but his columns are usually rubbish.

D

daz

Great player, but some of the things he says/writes in the media are quite ridiculous really and it makes you question his knowledge of the game at times.

Not really. Horan is not the worst by a long shot, certainly not compared to other ex-Wallaby champions. I'm racking my brains to think of the worst. Well, it will come to me. Damn. His name is right on the tip of my tongue.

Anyway, while I am here, can I give a big G&GR hello to Matthew Burke.....?

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not really. Horan is not the worst by a long shot, certainly not compared to other ex-Wallaby champions. I'm racking my brains to think of the worst. Well, it will come to me. Damn. His name is right on the tip of my tongue.

Anyway, while I am here, can I give a big G&GR hello to Matthew Burke.....?

Burke's got nothing on Campo, but then again what would I know, I've never been a rugby journalist at an "elite" level.

T

tranquility

I dont see the issue really, Tahs pack performance was awesome - he is comparing them to the best in the business.. Wicked

S

spooony

Burke's got nothing on Campo, but then again what would I know, I've never been a rugby journalist at an "elite" level.
Mate, they should follow my example, go stand on the wing and never tackle! - David Campese on shoulder injuries

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Let me get this straight in my head.
Queensland completed 92% of their tackles
won 100% of their scrums
89% of their lineouts.

But the Tahs pack ran amok and Dennis tore apart the lineout.
What would the figures look like if things were pretty even?

W

What2040

Let me get this straight in my head.
Queensland completed 92% of their tackles
won 100% of their scrums
89% of their lineouts.

But the Tahs pack ran amok and Dennis tore apart the lineout.
What would the figures look like if things were pretty even?

AB pack - your kidding - christ I thought the Reds won

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Has everyone actually read it? He said it was Kiwi-like in style, in particular with the counter-rucking they employed, not that they were as good as the All Blacks. Aus packs tend to under-commit to breakdowns, and focus more on setting a defensive line than really attacking the breakdown in large numbers. I agree with him that Kiwi teams do this more. That is a reasonably accurate comparison, of the style employed.
Everyone should chill their outrage a tad.

Status
Not open for further replies.