• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Top 10 Scrummaging Nations in the World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
8 Sebastien Chabal 115
7 Fulgence Ouedraogo 94
6 Thierry Dusautoir 101
5 Lionel Nallet 115
4 Julien Pierre 106
3 Nicolas Mas 110
2 William Servat 103
1 Thomas Domingo 107
TOTAL 851

8 Ben McCalman 106
7 David Pocock 101
6 Rocky Elsom 106
5 Nathan Sharpe 115
4 Rob Simmons 115
3 Ben Alexander 117
2 Stephen Moore 112
1 James Slipper 113
TOTAL 885

Given that the Wallabies, South Africans, Kiwis, Poms, regularly run out 900kg+ packs, how the fuck do the French do it??

And when you do the height stats it appears that France don't field any locks above 197/198cm...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In fact...

8 Sebastien Chabal 192cm
7 Fulgence Ouedraogo 189cm
6 Thierry Dusautoir 188cm
5 Lionel Nallet 196cm
4 Julien Pierre 197cm
3 Nicolas Mas 181cm
2 William Servat 185cm
1 Thomas Domingo 174cm

8 Ben McCalman 192cm
7 David Pocock 181cm
6 Rocky Elsom 197cm
5 Nathan Sharpe 200cm
4 Rob Simmons 200cm
3 Ben Alexander 189cm
2 Stephen Moore 186cm
1 James Slipper 185cm

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Even their lifters are short arses. The lineout does look like a place to attack.

In which case it might be useful to have Barnes starting at inside centre to utilise his tactical kicking and keep them camped up in their own half...

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Slim, I would love it if any of our guys could successfully kick to the corners. But it must be a skill they don't practice, 'cause they are universally shithouse at it, even Barnes. Cooper, Giteau, Barnes: all crap.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Slim, I would love it if any of our guys could successfully kick to the corners. But it must be a skill they don't practice, 'cause they are universally shithouse at it, even Barnes. Cooper, Giteau, Barnes: all crap.

I partially disagree - Barnes kicked very well tactically in latter stages of Shute Shield - admittedly not the heat of Test rugby, but he can do it. Cooper would be next. Giteau thereafter.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I partially disagree - Barnes kicked very well tactically in latter stages of Shute Shield - admittedly not the heat of Test rugby, but he can do it. Cooper would be next. Giteau thereafter.

Despite the fact that they should've been running more... Giteau's kicking was excellent for the Brumbies this year...

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Show me some test-level kicking to the corners.

In fact, I'll show you: last year's nice'n'easy June tests - Giteau kicked beautifully. I was in raptures and thought we had solved one of the big tactical problems for the Wobs, but it fell apart totally in the 3N, and since.

I'm convinced that they don't practice it, or care much, since it's otherwise impossible to understand how talented players like Cooper, Giteau and Barnes still can't get it right.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I thought QC (Quade Cooper) had done pretty well with this against Italy and even the Welsh

B

baldingwingforward

We'll see BWF. And presumably we'll have license to give you copious amounts of shit if that doesn't eventuate? A lot can happen between now and then, don't count your chickens.

No worries Hornet - bring on the shit. :) You get used to it being an England supporter! I'm by no means counting any chickens, but i see the England pack improving siginificantly, (particularly as Hartley and Cole are very young, and Thompson the other probable option at hooker is a BIG unit and very strong scrummager who has been there and done that) between now and RWC NZ. The wobblies will be improve as well i'm sure - but they are a long way behind so face a tough task. Good luck to them.

As others have mentioned - i'm not sure what all the fuss is about Sheridan as it is widely recognised that it is the TH prop who does all of the damage. But if you have a good TH and and absolute goliath of a LH (Sheridan) then you should have a pretty good scrum.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
8 Sebastien Chabal 115
7 Fulgence Ouedraogo 94
6 Thierry Dusautoir 101
5 Lionel Nallet 115
4 Julien Pierre 106
3 Nicolas Mas 110
2 William Servat 103
1 Thomas Domingo 107
TOTAL 851

8 Ben McCalman 106
7 David Pocock 101
6 Rocky Elsom 106
5 Nathan Sharpe 115
4 Rob Simmons 115
3 Ben Alexander 117
2 Stephen Moore 112
1 James Slipper 113
TOTAL 885

Given that the Wallabies, South Africans, Kiwis, Poms, regularly run out 900kg+ packs, how the fuck do the French do it??

Lie at weigh in... Just a thought

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
No worries Hornet - bring on the shit. :) You get used to it being an England supporter! I'm by no means counting any chickens, but i see the England pack improving siginificantly, (particularly as Hartley and Cole are very young, and Thompson the other probable option at hooker is a BIG unit and very strong scrummager who has been there and done that) between now and RWC NZ. The wobblies will be improve as well i'm sure - but they are a long way behind so face a tough task. Good luck to them.

As others have mentioned - i'm not sure what all the fuss is about Sheridan as it is widely recognised that it is the TH prop who does all of the damage. But if you have a good TH and and absolute goliath of a LH (Sheridan) then you should have a pretty good scrum.

The frustrating thing as an Aussie fan has been the backwards movement in our forward play this year. On the last two EOYT's, the three set pieces have been very good, especially the scrum (just ask England and Ireland). It sucks to be back to square one.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
So back on topic, I was surprised at how the Boks scrum dealt with the Pom scrum and even dominated at times. Not sure of the exact number but the Boks seemed to get the bulk of the penalties and a couple of turnovers.

We still need to see the Frogs and the Poms in the 6N but as a Saffer this is the most improvement I have seen in our scrums in years and it's getting closer to becoming a weapon again.

The Welsh had a good showing, their scrum gained a bit of dominance after half time but they lost it when their heds started to drop after about an hour. Probablty evens between the AB's and the Weeping Welsh.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I've been thinking the same thing about the Saffa teams named every week on the EOYT; ace packs but pretty average backlines.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I thought the Saffer scrum dealt to the Poms last night mate. Having BdP back is clearly helping you blokes.

Yeah having a hooker in physical condition makes a reall difference...ahem.

The big difference is how much the Beast anf Jannie Doep have improved. Beast got dropped from the Boks for a very good Steenkamp and put in a mountain of work. It also helps that the front row scrummed together for the whole Currie Cup season, and then suddenly has two premier locks added behind them.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I've been thinking the same thing about the Saffa teams named every week on the EOYT; ace packs but pretty average backlines.

Backline a disaster. With that kind of ball the pack gave them they did nothing. We miss Jacques Fourie and of course Fdp. They would have done more with the pill.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah having a hooker in physical condition makes a reall difference...ahem.

The big difference is how much the Beast anf Jannie Doep have improved. Beast got dropped from the Boks for a very good Steenkamp and put in a mountain of work. It also helps that the front row scrummed together for the whole Currie Cup season, and then suddenly has two premier locks added behind them.

Thought the Beast was tip top last night. The best performance I can recall from him in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.