• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC 2016: Matches not involving Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Bledisloe 1 isn't all that's happening this weekend..........

SOUTH AFRICA v ARGENTINA

Date: Saturday, August 20
Venue: Mbombela Stadium, Nelspruit
Kick-off: 17:05 local 12:05 ART, 15:05 GMT, 01:05 (Sunday 21st August)AEST, 03:05 (Sunday 21st August) NZST
Referee: Glen Jackson (New Zealand)
Assistant Referees: Jérôme Garcès (France), Ben O’Keeffe (New Zealand)
TMO: George Ayoub (Australia)

South Africa: 15 Johan Goosen, 14 Ruan Combrinck, 13 Lionel Mapoe, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Elton Jantjies, Faf de Klerk, 8 Warren Whiteley, 7 Teboho Mohoje, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Julian Redelinghuys, 2 Adriaan Strauss (c) , Tendai Mtawarira
Replacements: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Vincent Koch, 19 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 20 Jaco Kriel, 21 Rudy Paige, 22 Juan de Jongh, 23 Jesse Kriel.

Argentina: 15 Joaquín Tuculet, 14 Santiago Cordero, 13 Matías Orlando, 12 Juan Martín Hernández, 11 Manuel Montero, 10 Nicolás Sánchez, 9 Martín Landajo, 8 Facundo Isa, 7 Juan Manuel Leguizamon, 6 Pablo Matera, 5 Tomas Lavanini, 4 Matías Alemanno, 3 Ramiro Herrera, 2 Agustín Creevy (c), 1 Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro
Replacements: 16 Julián Montoya, 17 Felipe Arregui, 18 Enrique Pieretto, 19 Guido Petti, 20 Javier Ortega Desio, 21 Tomás Cubelli, 22 Santiago Gonzalez Iglesias, 23 Ramiro Moyano

Check out @mst's excellent preview:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/match-preview-springboks-v-pumas/#disqus_thread

Strong Lions flavour to the Bokke lineup, hopefully that's a sign of some more enterprising play from them than what we've become used to in recent years.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
These are the Opta Facts for tonight's game:

* South Africa are aiming to win [the comp] for just the fourth time with their last tournament victory coming in 2009.
* Argentina have won just once in 22 attempts against the Springboks (D1, L20), however that win came in last season's competition.
* Although Los Pumas have won just two of their 21 Rugby Championship games, both victories came in their last four games; Argentina will be aiming for back to back victories in the competition for the first time.
* The Springboks have lost their last three games in the competition and will be aiming to avoid four consecutive defeats for the first time since 2011.
* South Africa will be playing at the Mbombela Stadium for just the third time; they won both previous matches there scoring 30+ points in each (v Wales and Scotland).
* South Africa lost their opening game of The Rugby Championship in 2015; however they won their opening games in each of the three years prior, all of which were against Argentina.
* Argentina (80%) and South Africa (81%) had the worst scrum success rates in last season's competition; in comparison Australia and New Zealand scrummaged at 94% and 96% respectively.
* South Africa made just 19 clean breaks in the tournament last year, fewer than anyone else, while Argentina beat the fewest defenders (53).
* Juan Imhoff was involved in all four of Argentina's tries in their win over the Springboks last season (3 tries, 1 assist); since the beginning of 2015 only three players have scored more tries than Imhoff (8) – Anthony Watson (12), Jonathan Joseph and Julian Savea (both 9).
* Nicolas Sanchez needs just nine points to become the fourth Pumas player to reach 400 in Test rugby behind Felipe Contepomi (651), Hugo Porta (651) and Gonzalo Quesada (486).

G

galumay

They should have just played the whole Lions team! Still it should be a good contest, Puma's will fancy their chances and the Bok's have plenty to prove.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Argentina are putting on a better attacking display with 14 men than Australia could if they fielded all 23 players.............

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
I love that." Under the new laws if it looks like a knock on its a knock on"

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
I think Jackson is one of the worst refs running around atm.

How can there be a turnover IN GOAL? Players were lying all over the tackled player. Either a penalty or a scrum were the only possible outcomes but instead the Boks go 75m down field.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think Jackson is one of the worst refs running around atm.

How can there be a turnover IN GOAL? Players were lying all over the tackled player. Either a penalty or a scrum were the only possible outcomes but instead the Boks go 75m down field.
It do ed s happen often though. I think the refs have been told to let things go. Piper barely blew his whistle

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I didn't recognise Cubelli at first, but it looks like he's also shaved his head for a good cause...........

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Argentina are really showing how much south Africa have gone down hill in the last 3 years.

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
Wow. Great try from Argentina, mecurial.

Why aren't the Boks playing Lions rugby? Looks like the same old.

Status
Not open for further replies.