• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC Round 1: South Africa v Australia, Sunday 21 July 1:05am AEST

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I think the balance of your team and bench is fine. I don't know about KOB1987, but Brumby Runner's bench balance worries me - risky to have To'omua as the only 10 or centre sub, one of which positions (the former) he has played little this year and really has no decent form (and I know BR is a stickler for form). One critical injury and we're in all sorts covering positions well. Plus I can't see the sense in that many lock and 6 options really. I think a 5:3 split is more sensible, personally.

The selection of the second back on the bench was difficult. I hummed and hahhed about To'omua or Foley, but neither has a real advantage over the other. Matt hasn't set the world alight since he returned and is problematic perhaps at 10, but Bernard is just as problematic at 12 and didn't have a very strong Super Rugby season at all for the Tahs.

Now with JOC (James O'Connor) apparently available, he just might be the ideal solution even though I am personally very nervous about his apparent redemption. The other option might be Maddocks but again he hasn't had the best season in Super Rugby and he seems to be way down on form. He probably would be a better fit to cover the outside backs but then the cover at 10, 12 and 13 would suffer.

I can't say that I rate Hodge on this year's form, and as a matter of principle, I would not have KB (Kurtley Beale) in the side.

Perhaps you're right that a 5:3 bench would be safer atm.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Jesus KOB. You're in fine form lately. Have to say though that I have seen one or two posts by Brumbies supporters where you've missed the opportunity for a dig. Still room for improvement.

Lighten up fella. Perhaps read my subsequent post. As someone else pointed out, I don't recall this time last year that anyone was claiming the Waratahs should have a mortgage on most of the positions.

The majority of people feel that it was the tight 5 where the Brumbies exerted most of their dominance and thus that's where you would expect most of the rewards towards their players should come. They will have 4 of the 6 front row spots plus Arnold. Powell, Lealifano and Banks are all worthy of further investigation but the jury is out on whether their form was more a result of the go forward provided by the pigs.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
My 2 cents

1 Scott Sio
2 Folau Fainga’a
3 Allan Ala'alatoa
4 Izack Rodda
5 Rory Arnold
6 Lukhan Salakaia-Loto
7 Michael Hooper (c)
8 Isi Naisarani
9 Will Genia
10 Bernard Foley
11 Marika Koroibete
12 Samu Kerevi
13 Tevita Kuridrani
14 Tom Banks
15 Dane Haylett-Petty

6/2 split (likely)
16 Jordan Uelese
17 James Slipper
18 Taniela Tupou
19 Rob Simmons
20 Rob Valetini
21 Luke Jones
22 Reece Hodge
23 Nic White

5/3 split
16 Jordan Uelese
17 James Slipper
18 Taniela Tupou
19 Luke Jones
20 Rob Valetini
21 Christian Lealiifano
22 Jack Maddocks
23 Nic White

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
My tips for the contentious positions:

6 Jones
10 Foley
14 DHP
15 Beale

16 Uelese
18 Tupou
19 Simmons
20 Dempsey
21 White
22 Leali'ifano
23 Banks

I’d like to see LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) on the bench over Simmons but otherwise bang on.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Boks may be fielding a few second stringers this weekend, in order to get players over to NZ early:

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springboks/15-springboks-to-fly-out-early-to-new-zealand-20190712

So the Saffas consider our Test to be of diminished importance like a soccer friendly?
The schedule has been out for ages. The Argentinians have the same one-week turnaround, having to play in Buenos Aires and then Suncorp. Australia has the same, J'burg then Suncorp a week apart. NZ ditto - Buenos Aires to Wellington.
The problem is a shared one so flying 15 Springboks to NZ is an "up yours" to Australia.

No matter what the coach says, I guarantee some of his best players will be "rested" for the game against the All Blacks.
Hope we smash 'em.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I'm going to have to seriously pace my beer drinking to make it form watching Norths at 3 to watching the Wallabies at 1am.

Sadly, they weren't even running the BBQ at NSO a few weeks ago so don't rely on them for a bit of ballast.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Surely it'll be a 6/2 split at altitude. The big fellas will be sucking them in after 20 minutes.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Lighten up fella. Perhaps read my subsequent post. As someone else pointed out, I don't recall this time last year that anyone was claiming the Waratahs should have a mortgage on most of the positions.

The majority of people feel that it was the tight 5 where the Brumbies exerted most of their dominance and thus that's where you would expect most of the rewards towards their players should come. They will have 4 of the 6 front row spots plus Arnold. Powell, Lealifano and Banks are all worthy of further investigation but the jury is out on whether their form was more a result of the go forward provided by the pigs.

I'm sure there where plenty that had it that way last year, and then that was what was selected last year, this year the Brumbies where the form team, and that's why my picks went that way... Your surely not suggesting last years Wallabies results should mean that the guys there last year should still be there.

I've really only picked 2 positions contentious which I see as leo over Foley (much of a muchness) and Banks over Beale, which was because Beale is better cover off the bench.. swap those 2 positions and you be fine with it. But BR's right you have constantly had a go at anyone that select something that is against your Tah's .. My team won't be right, Foley will be 10 and Beale will be 15, most likely as the coach is a fan ..tah's fan..

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I'm sure there where plenty that had it that way last year, and then that was what was selected last year, this year the Brumbies where the form team, and that's why my picks went that way. Your surely not suggesting last years Wallabies results should mean that the guys there last year should still be there.

I've really only picked 2 positions contentious which I see as leo over Foley (much of a muchness) and Banks over Beale, which was because Beale is better cover off the bench.. swap those 2 positions and you be fine with it. But BR's right you have constantly had a go at anyone that select something that is against your Tah's .. My team won't be right, Foley will be 10 and Beale will be 15, most likely as the coach is a fan ..tah's fan..

I haven't constantly had a go at anyone, and my post was directed at BR's reply, not you, who most definitely does have a constant go at anything to with Waratahs. I agree that the most contentious positions are 10 and 15 and will most likely be fought out between a Waratah and a Brumby. But that's not being biased about it, that's just how it is.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So the Saffas consider our Test to be of diminished importance like a soccer friendly?
The schedule has been out for ages. The Argentinians have the same one-week turnaround, having to play in Buenos Aires and then Suncorp. Australia has the same, J'burg then Suncorp a week apart. NZ ditto - Buenos Aires to Wellington.
The problem is a shared one so flying 15 Springboks to NZ is an "up yours" to Australia.

No matter what the coach says, I guarantee some of his best players will be "rested" for the game against the All Blacks.
Hope we smash 'em.

I think South Africa's position is reasonable. They can only fly out on Sunday from South Africa and would have their first training session in NZ on Tuesday. That gives them a very short prep for their toughest game.

NZ also didn't send a large chunk of their squad to Argentina.

We've taken the opportunity to have an extended camp in South Africa with the bulk of our squad. We return for what is on paper our easiest game.

I also think with the number of overseas based players in the South African squad, there are a lot more questions over who is their best XV. They have more depth that is much of a muchness in terms of selections as Erasmus said.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think South Africa's position is reasonable. They can only fly out on Sunday from South Africa and would have their first training session in NZ on Tuesday. That gives them a very short prep for their toughest game.

NZ also didn't send a large chunk of their squad to Argentina.

We've taken the opportunity to have an extended camp in South Africa with the bulk of our squad. We return for what is on paper our easiest game.

I also think with the number of overseas based players in the South African squad, there are a lot more questions over who is their best XV. They have more depth that is much of a muchness in terms of selections as Erasmus said.
I’d probably add to this that South Africa has NZ in their RWC pool. It’s important for them to implement tactics as best they can in the RC to see what works and what doesn’t. If their key players are rusty and their combinations haven’t gelled it would be hard for them to tell whether the game plan is at fault or it’s just a lack of cohesion. If they can win in NZ it would also give their players a hell of a lot of belief going into the RWC. Half the battle against the ABs is not conceding defeat before you jog out of the tunnel.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The selection of the second back on the bench was difficult. I hummed and hahhed about To'omua or Foley, but neither has a real advantage over the other. Matt hasn't set the world alight since he returned and is problematic perhaps at 10, but Bernard is just as problematic at 12 and didn't have a very strong Super Rugby season at all for the Tahs.

Now with JOC (James O'Connor) apparently available, he just might be the ideal solution even though I am personally very nervous about his apparent redemption. The other option might be Maddocks but again he hasn't had the best season in Super Rugby and he seems to be way down on form. He probably would be a better fit to cover the outside backs but then the cover at 10, 12 and 13 would suffer.

I can't say that I rate Hodge on this year's form, and as a matter of principle, I would not have KB (Kurtley Beale) in the side.

Perhaps you're right that a 5:3 bench would be safer atm.

I just don't see any of the options, apart from a reserve 9 obviously, being good enough to warrant a 6:2 bench - To'omua, Foley, Hodge - whatever. Beale is the only one that covers several positions, theoretically, although I get why some people wouldn't pick him. I don't think he's a great Test 10 option at all, but the fact he can cover 12 and 15 is probably why he'll get picked. Especially if it's a 6:2 bench. Maybe not if a 5:3. I think. Well, I sort of think.
Geez, apart from our 9s and 12 / 13, and maybe Banks, our backs are a bit "meh".

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Let's not forget Cheika is not the only selector now.

The choice between Lilo and Foley will tell us a lot about this new regime.

If they pick Foley it is the same old Cheika selections favouring the incumbents and will lead to probably more similar selections - Beale/Simmons etc

If they pick Lilo they will be rewarding form for once so hopefully they go that way.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I reckon Beale starts at 15 and us the back up 10 if we go 6/2. Cheika may play Foley at 10 this week and start Lilo there against the pumas.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I still feel like the only Brumbies back with a compelling form argument is Tevita Kuridrani. Everyone else did pretty well behind an excellent forward pack and like most backlines, struggled for answers when the forwards faltered.

I do think the Lilo/Foley situation is one of the tightest selection contests in the team though. I tend to think Foley will get first crack based on his test experience.