• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC Round 2: Australia vs Argentina @ Brisbane - Saturday 27 July 2019

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Wallabies need a bit of intelligence in their attack, Kerevi is in exceptional form at the moment but he is going to be targeted now in defence, he will be the primary focus the defensive alignments going forward and will probably be defended out of the game. Which is fine, it just means with all the focus on Kerevi that there is space outside of him, the Wallabies need to look at the players past Kerevi and get clever about the way they spread the ball, either through some long passes or use of the kick to spread it.

Wallabies used to do it very well when they had Mortlock at 13 and Larkham at 10, Mortock during his form years was one of the best centres in the world and the backlines defended him accordingly. But with that, Larkham used Mortlock as a dummy runner quite regularly and cut him out to the outside backs where there was space.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Wallabies need a bit of intelligence in their attack, Kerevi is in exceptional form at the moment but he is going to be targeted now in defence, he will be the primary focus the defensive alignments going forward and will probably be defended out of the game. Which is fine, it just means with all the focus on Kerevi that there is space outside of him, the Wallabies need to look at the players past Kerevi and get clever about the way they spread the ball, either through some long passes or use of the kick to spread it.

Wallabies used to do it very well when they had Mortlock at 13 and Larkham at 10, Mortock during his form years was one of the best centres in the world and the backlines defended him accordingly. But with that, Larkham used Mortlock as a dummy runner quite regularly and cut him out to the outside backs where there was space.
I don’t see him being defended out of the game. He’s been pretty well marked already and it hasn’t stopped him. I don’t think he’ll always make 15m post contact like he did at one stage on Saturday but he’s basically unstoppable one on one. That first linebreak he made he didn’t actually receive the ball in a hole he just shrugged off a Puma and was on his way. Probably the most dangerous back in the RC.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don’t see him being defended out of the game. He’s been pretty well marked already and it hasn’t stopped him. I don’t think he’ll always make 15m post contact like he did at one stage on Saturday but he’s basically unstoppable one on one. That first linebreak he made he didn’t actually receive the ball in a hole he just shrugged off a Puma and was on his way. Probably the most dangerous back in the RC.

No I don't think he will be defended out of the game entirely, my point is that he will be targeted in defence which will open up opportunities outside of him, one on one he beats the defender almost every time, yet when the Pumas started putting in two defenders against him the Wallabies kept using Kerevi when they should have been using him as a decoy or dummy runner and spreading it to players out wide of him.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
No, my point is that he will be targeted in defence which will open up opportunities outside of him, one on one he beats the defender almost every time, yet when the Pumas started putting in two defenders against him the Wallabies kept using Kerevi when they should have been using him as a decoy or dummy runner and spreading it to players out wide of him.
Agree with that. Worked well when we used Kerevi on the decoy to score the try.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
No I don't think he will be defended out of the game entirely, my point is that he will be targeted in defence which will open up opportunities outside of him, one on one he beats the defender almost every time, yet when the Pumas started putting in two defenders against him the Wallabies kept using Kerevi when they should have been using him as a decoy or dummy runner and spreading it to players out wide of him.

I'm looking forward to seeing Jordan Petaia playing at 13.
If he can repeat his form in Super against the Highlanders alongside Kerevi, then there are going to be fireworks out in the backline.
Petaia is the player who will benefit from Kerevi if the latter occasionally plays the dummy, Jordan's ability to avoid tackles.
I would like to see him coming off the pine against the AB's in Perth.
And yes, Banks on the wing with his speed to capitalise on Petaia's breaks. If you were the defending fullback (Barrett) and you had Petaia carrying, with Kerevi & Banks on either side of him, it would be a nightmare.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'm looking forward to seeing Jordan Petaia playing at 13.
If he can repeat his form in Super against the Highlanders alongside Kerevi, then there are going to be fireworks out in the backline.
Petaia is the player who will benefit from Kerevi if the latter occasionally plays the dummy, Jordan's ability to avoid tackles.
I would like to see him coming off the pine against the AB's in Perth.
And yes, Banks on the wing with his speed to capitalise on Petaia's breaks. If you were the defending fullback (Barrett) and you had Petaia carrying, with Kerevi & Banks on either side of him, it would be a nightmare.

Like the thought of Barrett having nightmares instead of giving them.