• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC2021 - Wallabies v Boks @ Suncorp 18/09

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
78 minutes two tackles one missed tackle.lots of standing at first man off the ruck.
I kind of thought Tupou seems to have times in game when he goes missing too, and must admit I was saying the same thing in all tests he played this year. He seems a little lost without the ball.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
78 minutes two tackles one missed tackle.lots of standing at first man off the ruck.
But is this the trade off? Philip & Rodda bust ass to allow Tupou to set up tries all day long? I’ve noticed that they both have distinctly less runs than normal.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Clearly different players are given different roles. Slipper for example is always far more of a workhorse but runs the ball less.

With AAA out, it wouldn't surprise me if Tupou was told he was likely to play a lot of minutes and he should conserve his energy. You'd need to watch him very carefully to work out whether his workrate was actually poor or whether the play just didn't come to him. If he's standing in position in the defensive line but the ball carrier just isn't running at him I'm not too worried.

I definitely agree that Tupou's workrate has been questionable at times so it is worth monitoring.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The one thing that stood out to me on rewatching the game is just the lift in handling skills of our forwards.

Two highlights were the Angus Bell pass to put Tupou into space for Koro's try, and the work of Darcy Swain in the lead-up to Koro's second try. He makes a lovely one-handed catch and then you could forgive him for trucking it up. Instead he spots the space wider and throws a beautiful cut-out pass which set the play up for Kerevi.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
The gameplan was obviously to keep Tupou out there as long as possible for scrum purposes. Really doubt he was told to go out there and tackle everything that moved.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The one thing that stood out to me on rewatching the game is just the lift in handling skills of our forwards.

Two highlights were the Angus Bell pass to put Tupou into space for Koro's try, and the work of Darcy Swain in the lead-up to Koro's second try. He makes a lovely one-handed catch and then you could forgive him for trucking it up. Instead he spots the space wider and throws a beautiful cut-out pass which set the play up for Kerevi.
Not to be negative but I think a lot of this has been attempted before against NZ, but their line speed fucks up our attack. Think Philip intercept. We had so much more time and way cleaner rucks against SA.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
You say that like it’s a bad thing. Isn’t first man off the ruck exactly where you want your props defending? I think it was consistent with how the springboks played.

Tupou and Slipper both had 2 tackles, of more interest was Swinton making 2 tackles. But his work with ball in hand offsets the rest anyway.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Not sure why we worry about how many tackles anyone made; worry about how many were missed. Overall, our tackle execution/completion was good, so job done. They all have their roles to do and they seem to be getting that part right.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Ultimately Petaia is our best option at 15. Hes good under the high ball, has a decent boot and has the rugby IQ with speed to burn. Hopefully we will see him there in Super Rugby next year. He is best when in space.
I haven't seen him play there, so can't comment. He is certainly a talent though so hopefully can adapt to that position.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think it’s a reasonable observation on Tupou by Sully and it is in line with the feedback Rennie provided publicly last year.

Tupou had a great game - but I want to see him smashing guys in defence a bit more.

Otherwise I fear that Tupou will continue to be seen as a better bench option then starter even though I’d personally prefer him to start.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think it’s a reasonable observation on Tupou by Sully and it is in line with the feedback Rennie provided publicly last year.

Tupou had a great game - but I want to see him smashing guys in defence a bit more.

Otherwise I fear that Tupou will continue to be seen as a better bench option then starter even though I’d personally prefer him to start.
Imagine his height and strength trying to pilfer the ball? Unstoppable.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
And Wiese was cleared. How in the fuck? WR (World Rugby) needs to get its shit in order.
D4AB19FD-97C8-4083-A121-CF4467C6FD11.jpeg

Just read the official wording - how is that consistent with the framework.
Complete lottery

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah it's a complete fiction. The video clearly shows he's not grabbing for the ball but driving his shoulder into Kerevi. Indirect contact? WTF?

No one has a fkn clue what's going on with the rules. Brown paper bags were probably involved in that decision.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah it's a complete fiction. The video clearly shows he's not grabbing for the ball but driving his shoulder into Kerevi. Indirect contact? WTF?

No one has a fkn clue what's going on with the rules. Brown paper bags were probably involved in that decision.
I haven't seen any replays D, but my clear recollection is that he did have both hands on or aiming for the ball. It was certainly a reckless act that should have been a red card and some significant holiday, but to be fair I think he was going for the ball rather than the man.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I haven't seen any replays D, but my clear recollection is that he did have both hands on or aiming for the ball. It was certainly a reckless act that should have been a red card and some significant holiday, but to be fair I think he was going for the ball rather than the man.
Watch it mate.