• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

TRC2021 - Wallabies v Pumas @ Townsville 25/09

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yep RN, thought both tests were hardly sparkling adverts for the game tonight. But such is rugby, and the main thing is Wallabies played well enough to win and reasonably convincly. Pumas really don't send shivers down your spine when they got ball do they? Still I think Wallabies will be content today.
Yep, tough games for fans outside the regular fan base to go away saying ‘that was great!’.

The Boks play a style which is bad to watch even for us. And the Wallabies Argies game just lacked any knockout punches. It never felt like the Wallabies would lose, but they were still scrappy.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think the next game will see a number of changes. A good win by the Wallabies but a few players didn’t have that spark from previous weeks.

The commentators were frothing on Fainga'a late in the game, saying how good his game had been. I actually expected him to be hooked at halftime, lost three lineouts in the first half, dropped some pill and gave away a penalty. His work rate was good but I definitely didn’t see him deserving all the praise.

JOC (James O'Connor) for Cooper
Feleti for Fainga'a
Korobiete was solid but could probably use a break
Swain for Phillip

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I think the next game will see a number of changes. A good win by the Wallabies but a few players didn’t have that spark from previous weeks.
Feleti for Fainga'a
Swain for Phillip
Rennie said post game korobiete was going home for a break and McMahon would get a run.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

The commentators were frothing on Fainga'a late in the game, saying how good his game had been. I actually expected him to be hooked at halftime, lost three lineouts in the first half, dropped some pill and gave away a penalty. His work rate was good but I definitely didn’t see him deserving all the praise.

Feleti for Fainga'a
Swain for Phillip
Koroibete is leaving the squad after the game. Back to spend time with his baby.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yep and I think hence the fans which would have contained a fair chunk of league supporters would not have been excited by those games. The fact the crowd started a Mexican wave in the middle of the wallabies vs Argentina game supports that…

As you say games were not a great advert in league heartland. But definitely happy with the win as wallabies might have failed to finish and capitalise on lot of opportunities but critically still got the win.
On another note the stan female commentators pho par in twice not being able to say word success was hilarious

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)

Feleti for Fainga'a
Swain for Phillip
JOC (James O'Connor) for Cooper…..why? JOC (James O'Connor) has not had one game as a 10 as good as either of Quades recent efforts against the Boks. Why would they make that change?
Agree with the rest but maybe Swain and Philip are the best locking combo?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I've been very impressed with the defence the last few weeks, very few missed tackles or line breaks conceded and the majority of tries that have been let through are off the maul, defence of which also seems to be improving. South Africa and Argentina may not be the best test of it, but they also might present a great opportunity to build confidence. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up against Japan and in Europe when faced with some different pictures.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Is Cooper available for the Spring Tour?
Might be better playing JOC (James O'Connor) for the last game if Cooper isnt going to tour

Reactions: dru

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Cooper is as eligible as anyone playing in Oz. If his club is willing to release him to play test rugby when required there is no reason why he should not become a permanent squad member for the foreseeable future.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The pleasing thing for me is that even though the boys weren't at their best last night (third quarter of the game was particularly bad) they still showed composure looked like winning most of the way through the game. This more direct style of play and having big ball runners going up through the middle seems to really suit the team and then when they go wide they're a lot more penetrating. Kerevi has clearly made a difference and he's now bringing other players into the game. I think guys like Pete Samu appreciate that, because I've seen him more than once run off Kerevi's hip in support. Pete's game has really stepped up this season BTW.

The other pleasing aspect has been some settling of selections. Several guys have grabbed the opportunity with both hands (Thor, Kellaway, Bell, Swain, Tate, Len to name some) and it builds combinations.

Finally I thought the best part was the contribution of the bench. There was a noticeable lifting of the tempo when Tate and JOC (James O'Connor) came on and we started breaking out in attack all over the park. Nothing at all against the blokes they replaced, more a case of the momentum wasn't lost when the replacements came on. If anything it energises the team and they do look superbly fit at the moment.