• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tri Nations Game 3 New Zealand v Australia - Saturday 6 August 2011 - 3N2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Please don't bring Burgess back. Phipps has a better fundimental skill set and the game time will build experience.

Where is Slipper at? Will he be ready>?

You might be right for the future, Ruggo, but I still think Burgess has more to offer through experience and impact than Phipps does with his better passing game (which I don't think is far enough ahead to warrant full replacement of Burgo in the squad).

Richo

John Thornett (49)
You might be right for the future, Ruggo, but I still think Burgess has more to offer through experience and impact than Phipps does with his better passing game (which I don't think is far enough ahead to warrant full replacement of Burgo in the squad).

Especially when the Cup is weeks away. Phipps will get his chance.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm a Burgess fan but I don't want him in the 22 because Genia should be playing 80. Put Gits on the bench to cover if Genia ever got injured. Robbie seems set on a 5:2 already.

St Peter

Stan Wickham (3)
I'm a Burgess fan but I don't want him in the 22 because Genia should be playing 80. Put Gits on the bench to cover if Genia ever got injured. Robbie seems set on a 5:2 already.

I have no problem with Burgess as long as Robbie can get him to get the ball out quicker. He needs to develop Genia's skill of knowing if something is on for him BEFORE he gets to the ruck, if not then get in and send it out quickly.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Eh? 2003? In 2003, a young Fijian winger by the name of Joe Rokocoko taught Wendell Sailor how to play wing as the All Blacks tore us apart 50-17 or thereabouts in Sydney. It's for that reason, my bet on the Wallabies by 1-12 paid so bloody well at the Tab after the World Cup Semi.

Are you suggesting the reverse is in store this time around? We tear them a new one in Auckland next weekend only to blow it in the World Cup?

Tbh, yeah, I see the wallabies attack being absolutely lethal and us tearing teams to pieces in the next few games and the world cup pool stage. Then I see teams smarting up and working quade out and us getting shut down in the wc.

B

Braveheart.

Tbh, yeah, I see the wallabies attack being absolutely lethal and us tearing teams to pieces in the next few games and the world cup pool stage. Then I see teams smarting up and working quade out and us getting shut down in the wc.

Touch wood NOW please.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Burgess can only distribute out of the ruck quickly if there's someone to distribute to. The Tahs were woeful in their attack realignment in large patches through the S15 comp and you noticed how much quicker Burgess would be when Barnes was behind him for example.

There seems to be collective amnesia that Burgess broke the mould in this regard when he came onto the scene a few years back - his quickness from the breakdown is what got him into the Tahs and then the Wallabies in the first place (it certainly wasn't his pass)

Phipps has looked totally overawed in two warm up internationals - I'd don't see him ready for the Big Show, although he may well be in the future.

Some people's man hate for Burgess is only exceeded by their man love for Higgers!

T

TOCC

Gagger, I was watching replays of the Wallabies 2010 matches when Burgess was playing, and whilst he had some moments where his running performance was quite very good. His passing game was on average, pretty mediocre (for a international halfback) and some of his decision making was pretty average as well.

Theres a decent amount of man hate on here for Higgers as well, non-surprisingly seemed to stem around the time of the D.Mitchell injury.

However, in saying all that, he is still the second best halfback candidate for the Wallabies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

You should be able to get very attractive odds about us taking the All Blacks by 13+ on Saturday week, spikhaza.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Theres a decent amount of man hate on here for Higgers as well, non-surprisingly seemed to stem around the time of the D.Mitchell injury.

I think that blew over pretty quickly after that game didn't it? Haven't seen too many burning Higgers effigies of late.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Giteau's good enough. If Genia goes down in the first 5 mins the game is already lost.

Last week according to lots of people it was Robinson going down that makes it impossible for us to win. Now we've absorbed the Robinson injury and it's Genia we can't win without. The fact is that we have a good team and are capable of winning games without individual players, although losing Genia would obviously be a blow to our chances. Losing Genia and Cooper or Pocock... now that would be a challenge.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Last week according to lots of people it was Robinson going down that makes it impossible for us to win. Now we've absorbed the Robinson injury and it's Genia we can't win without. The fact is that we have a good team and are capable of winning games without individual players, although losing Genia would obviously be a blow to our chances. Losing Genia and Cooper or Pocock... now that would be a challenge.

We tried playing without Genia, Cooper and Pocock, and I am still trying to forget it.

Its a lot harder when you dont have alcohol at your disposal.

C

chief

I hope people haven't been dreaming about a win. It's a well known fact the Wallabies can't convincingly dominate two matches in a row. They only dominated the SA match because of SA's second grade team.

As for the Burgess and Phipps debate. Phipps has his time in the future. The time for experimenting is over, Phipps is a trial, Burgess is not the best half back out there but at least he is proven.

Would really like to see Radike Samo given a shot, I think he really is a bench player, having Samo come off the bench would be fantastic and would well and truly be an impact player. Hopefully he doesn't give away silly penalties which he can be guilty of.

If you are going to bet cash on the Wallabies winning this game I wouldn't put much.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Would really like to see Radike Samo given a shot, I think he really is a bench player, having Samo come off the bench would be fantastic and would well and truly be an impact player. Hopefully he doesn't give away silly penalties which he can be guilty of.

I hate the notion of picking 'impact' subs based on their supposed 'impact player' skills, but Samo is really suited to this role. His fitness isn't quite as good as McCalman's, and he is prone to periods of laziness throughout games. Bringing him on for the last 25 minutes of a match would pack a massive punch that usually dies out in the 2nd-half of Wallabies matches.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Keen to see Burgess in the mix myself.

[video=youtube;8mfrKHWoHQ4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mfrKHWoHQ4[/video]

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Nice clip Athilnaur, pity about the gay south african commentary

Fascinating to see history repeating itself with the breakdown contest stats at the beginning of the clip: we do fuck all against a PI team, man up the week after
and then the week after that.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.