• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tri Nations Game 4 South Africa v Australia - Saturday 13 August 2011 - 3N2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
Salesi Ma'afu, Samo and Sharpe join the squad while Vickerman will stay in Sydney. Link.

Squad to tour SA: Ben Alexander, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Kurtley Beale, Luke Burgess, Quade Cooper, Pekahou Cowan, Rocky Elsom, Anthony Fainga'a, Saia Fainga'a, Will Genia, Scott Higginbotham, Matt Hodgson, James Horwill, Digby Ioane, Sekope Kepu, Pat McCabe, Ben McCalman, Stephen Moore, James O'Connor, David Pocock, Rob Simmons, Sitaleki Timani, Lachie Turner, Radike Samo, Salesi Ma'afu, Nathan Sharpe

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
McCalman needs to go and bring in Samo for a straight swap or start Higgers and have Samo on the bench.

Elsom should be told to bugger off as he brings nothing to the party. He looks like someone who hasn't played much rugby in 8 months and was out of the game after 5 mins.

I think I would start Horwill and Sharpe. Simmons was a bit disappointing last night but I think he still shows promise and the occasion may have had an effect.

Cooper needs to cut down the inside ball option. Yes it works sometimes but we don't have to go for it every time he gets the ball.

This is what I think the team will be for the weekend. Wonder why Vickerman was left in Sydney? Guess they have seen what they needed (injury??)

1, Kepu
2, Moore
3, Alexander
4, Horwill
5, Sharpe
6, Elsom (wish it was Higgers)
7, Pocock
8, Samo
9, Genia
10, Cooper
11, Ioane
12, McCabe
13, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14, O'Connor
15, Beale
16, Fainga'a
17, Ma'afu
18, Simmons
19, Higgers
20, Burgess
21, Fainga'a
22, Turner

C

chief

1. Kepu
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Horwill
5. Sharpe
6. Elsom (Although I'm not sure if I want him)
7. Pocock
8. Higginbotham/Samo - I think McCalman will be dropped, I'm just unsure to whether it will be Radike or Higginbotham who will take the Number 8 position
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. I would like to see Fainga'a start this game as I do think he is an alternative, however I think McCabe will take it
13. Ashley-Cooper
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Beale

Reserves
16. Fainga'a
17. Ma'afu
18. Simmons
19. Higginbotham/Samo
20. Hodgson
21. Burgess
22. Fainga'a- no use having Turner playing, when we have an inside and outside centre who can play wing.

As depicted in my post, I'm going for a 5-2 split.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
1. Kepu
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Elsom- not because he deserves it, mind you.
7. Pocock
8. Samo
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. O'Connor- I think he should be here. McCabe is underdone internationally, should take pressure off QC (Quade Cooper) and Turner brings real pace.
13. Ashley-Cooper
14. Turner
15. Beale
--------------------
16. Fainga'a
17. Ma'afu- why else would he be in the squad?
18. Sharpe
19. Higginbotham
20. Hodgson
21. Burgess
22. McCabe

T

TOCC

1. Kepu
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Horwill
5. Sharpe
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Samo
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. McCabe
13. Ashley-Cooper
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Beale

Reserves
16. Fainga'a
17. Ma'afu
18. Simmons
19. Higginbotham
20. Robinson
21. Burgess
22. Turner

Simmons to the bench, McCalman dropped, Samo to start and bring higgers on early-ish(50min).
Robinson brought onto the bench instead of Hodgson, we need to develop a suitable backup openside before the RWC, Pocock cant start all the matches.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Only changes i see happening are

McCalman out
Higgers to start
Samo on bench
Maafu replace Cowan on bench
Sharpe on bench

Will be more interesting to see the Boks 22 and how many of the guys that toured are retained. How rusty will they be? We have now had 3 games to develop combinations and while they have been training they will surely be out of sorts with no match time under their belts. If not for this Wobs chances are not so good after a long flight and tough encounter.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
1. Kepu
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Horwill
5. Sharpe
6. Higgenbotham
7. Pocock
8. Samo
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. McCabe
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Beale

16. Fainga'a
17. Cowan
18. Simmons
19. Elsom
20. Robinson
21. Burgess
22. Giteau

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I really think McCalman needs to go, yes he toils away at times, but nowhere near the same impact you need from your 8-man. Higginbotham and Samo both need to come into the 22 for this match.

I can't see any other changes to the starting 15 though.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
1. Kepu
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Horwill
5. Sharpe
6. Higgenbotham
7. Pocock
8. Samo
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. McCabe
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Beale

16. Fainga'a
17. Cowan
18. Simmons
19. Elsom
20. Robinson
21. Burgess
22. Giteau

Not in the squad unless they've picked up their own tickets over.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Deans did allude to JOC (James O'Connor) spending at least some time at 12 during the Tri Nations.
This would be the one to blood him there(in tests). He was excellent at 10 and 12 for the Force and I think he has shown his ability to play at the top level physically.
Samo at 8. Higgers at 6 and Elsom on the bench.
It will be interesting to see how our scrum goes when Sharpie takes the place of Simmons but the rest of the tight 5 remain intact.
It should put the notion to bed one way or the other for good.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well my 22 would be different to Robbie Deans

Disco 22
1.Kepu 2.Moore 3.Alexander 4.Sharpe 5.Horwill (c) 6.Higginbotham 7.Pocock 8.Samo 9.Genia 10.Cooper 11.Ioane 12.Ant Fainga'a 13.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 14.JOC (James O'Connor) 15.Beale

16. S.Fainga'a 17.Ma'afu 18.Vickerman 19.Robinson 20.Burgess 21.Barnes 22.Turner

The 99 team was built on the form players from the Brumbies & Reds. The 2011 side should be built on the Tahs & Reds. I've not wanted to bring in the state bullshit but that's the hard facts we need to pick the best performing players from super rugby.

Deans I imagine will go with this 22.

1.Kepu 2.Moore 3.Alexander 4.Simmons 5.Horwill 6.Elsom 7.Pocock 8.Higginbotham 9.Genia 10.Cooper 11.Ioane 12.McCabe 13.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 14.JOC (James O'Connor) 15.Beale.

Res: 16.S.Fainga'a 17.Ma'afu 18.Sharpe 19.McCalman 20.Burgess 21.A. Fainga'a 22.Turner.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Samo or Higginbotham starting with the other on the bench, along with Robinson to make up the 5:2 split.

Ideally you'd have elsom on the bench but we know thats not going to happen.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
1. Kepu
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Horwill
5. Sharpe
6. Higgenbotham
7. Pocock
8. Samo
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. McCabe
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Beale

16. Fainga'a
17. Cowan
18. Simmons
19. Elsom
20. Robinson
21. Burgess
22. Giteau

I know he does a lot around the park, but he can't be everywhere Barbarian!

Status
Not open for further replies.