• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Tri Nations squad named - NAMED ON PAGE 3 - GENIA IN!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
OK, Mumm is struggling to be 6, Elsom is wounded

Deans will name his Tri Nations squad on Thursday and although Elsom is expected to be among the 30-man list, there is uncertainty when he will be available because of bone bruising in his knee. There are concerns that the matchwinning back-rower, who has returned to the Wallabies following a year playing in Ireland, may not play again for several more months.

In Elsom's favour is that this year's Tri Nations is staggered - Australia's first two matches will be played over a six-week period. However, it appears highly likely that Elsom will miss both the All Blacks Test in Auckland on July 18 and the Springboks in Cape Town on August 8. He may not return until the Sydney Test against New Zealand on August 22.

"Rocky is not progressing the way he would like, nor we would like," Deans said yesterday. "It's a time thing. It's a matter of when. It's proving more frustrating than all parties would like. We have two games in about a month and a half. So I would like to think he would be good to go by the end of that."

So who to 6? My bet is Brown with Palu to 8.

Lock/backrow reserves Mumm & Pocock

Thoughts?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Re: Tri Nations squad

with Palu there, and coming back through injury, Brown's a pretty good 6 option. Cover his workload a bit while Cliffey does the ball running.

Then Palu picks up his fitness (match-wise) for Rocky's return whenever.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Palu has had a broken hand so he should have been able to keep the miles in his legs.

F

formeropenside

Hodgson out (and injured anyway) for Elsom or Palu, and maybe Kimlin also gone for the other one of them? Probably Cowan replaced by Dunning.

You'd think no changes in the backline squad.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

What is the point of having Tahu in the squad? Surely he won't be picked to play in any of the 3N games, since he wasn't given any of the warm-ups?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Scotty said:
What is the point of having Tahu in the squad? Surely he won't be picked to play in any of the 3N games, since he wasn't given any of the warm-ups?

I guess the Deans and Graham lead training? He'll get the top quality coaching and then go back and play club every week. Better than doing nothing?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

fatprop said:
Palu has had a broken hand so he should have been able to keep the miles in his legs.

He played on the weekend for Manly v Penrith. He wanted to play the weekend before but the Tahs' medicos wanted him to wait another week as he hadn't done a lot of upper body work for a while.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

I guess the Deans and Graham lead training? He'll get the top quality coaching and then go back and play club every week. Better than doing nothing?

If that is the reason, then I would prefer Beale or Horne (not sure how bad their injuries were) to replace him in the 3N squad for the same reasons. Or otherwise Mowen or Higginbotham.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)

So who to 6? My bet is Brown with Palu to 8.

Lock/backrow reserves Mumm & Pocock

I'm all for that Fatprop, Brown can be used as a jumper as the Frogs showed by using Querogo(???) as probably thier main jumping receiver & he isn't a tall bloke.

We need either Higginbotham or Mowen to come into the squad & drop an openside.

It will be good when we get Elsom back.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

disco said:
I'm all for that Fatprop, Brown can be used as a jumper as the Frogs showed by using Querogo(???) as probably thier main jumping receiver & he isn't a tall bloke.

Link actually said that the French regularly use a small backrower as a jumper with a lock lifting

F

formeropenside

fatprop said:
Link actually said that the French regularly use a small backrower as a jumper with a lock lifting

Thats actually a great way to set a defensive lineout at 2: you can put the man up there and hold him there a while. Its probably best to be a 6 anyway (or a hooker perhaps) since keeping a fetcher at 7 to pressure the opposition backline is a must also.

Of course, you need to watch the front while you are holding him up there, or its short ball to the prop with his hands on his hips at 1.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

The Tahs often had Mowan being lifted by Baxter at 2 at defensive lineouts

F

formeropenside

yeah, its really all about just putting up a jumper at 2; its a statement of intent if nothing else. It makes it harder for a hooker going longer by having to drop the ball more; and if its windy that creates real problems of its own.

I can understand why you'd prefer to set a defensive pattern on a 5m lineout, but even then I'd be tempted to put pressure on. I probably wouldn't, but if the opposition had been having a bad day I'd at least fake that I would do it.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)

Well I don't want our lineout to suffer so hopefully Mumm can find some form but I'd be happy to run Brown @ 6 with Paul @ 8 as long as we still have 3 jumpers.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

fatprop said:

Anyone remember the Japan linepout at RWC 2003? They hoisted the backrower Ito - who is a midget even by their standards - at the back. It was very effective, even against France and Scotland.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)

Scotty said:
What is the point of having Tahu in the squad?

to fetch the waters and hold the tackling bags? but seriously, if he could have gotten himself healthy i would have liked to have seen him get some time before 3N's. need someone to cover the centers and i don't like cross. not sure i like tim tam either though. hopefully morty and barnes can hold up. i fear we're too thin at 10/12/13 cover.

disco said:
Well I don't want our lineout to suffer so hopefully Mumm can find some form

he seems to whenever he has a 4/5/18 on his back. i really wish the selectors would realize this.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

Crikey, you bastards are a lot of hard markers. This is what I like about Deans: he sees the positive in players. If there's an inkling of talent he'll back himself to develop it, even if the player in question's from Queensland!

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)

is there another halfback in the country,
with all respect to the season valo had, coming on with twenty to go, he isnt really an impact player or someone who can ground the game out, he is more likely to give away a penalty or two.

out of the two in the squad, burgo is the starting and impact player we need.

surely there is someone out there who can offer something different in the last twenty if we need it, is genia even close to fit?

i think mowen has to have a run at 6, he had a great year and with hodgo and rocky out, mumm is the utility you want for the bench.

i think were to quick to judge being on the bench as being a failure in this country, i know they all want to make the 15 and thats good, but good bench players at this level are fantastic to have.

we have a few players with alot of versatility, mumm is the ideal bench forward as AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (if he hadnt hit form at fullback) is the ideal bench back.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

fatprop said:
The Tahs often had Mowen being lifted by Baxter at 2 at defensive lineouts

And Baxter is tall.

We fans don't study stats enough but coaches do. They know that Mowen, near enough, took as many S14 lineouts for the Tahs as Mumm and Caldwell combined, and was 3rd of all S14 players this year. Front of the lineout ball, which Mowen gets, is not that great but it's not his fault that the call came to him a lot.

The more impressive stat is that: in that total of lineout wins Mowen had easily the highest number of lineout steals of any S14 player in 2009 and the same, near enough, as Matfield and Bakkies combined.

Deans will know all of this and more .......

disco said:
Brown can be used as a jumper as the Frogs showed by using Ouedraogo as probably their main jumping receiver & he isn't a tall bloke.

.............. including the stat that Brown (the same height as Ouedraogo) averaged 3 takes per game for the Force and they were at the back and thus less certain.

Coaching staffs are privy to more stats than are available to us and they look at non-stat things such as time spent on the ground, backing up efforts whether used or not, number of ruck participations broken up into categories, yarda yarda. They also watch the game many times including, for home games, at least once from each camera; so they are able to judge the value of players better than we can.

The demotion of Mumm to the bench until Rocky is available is an option, but the intangible attributes of players are taken into account also.

S

Spook

We need another ball-carrier at 6. Mowan or Mitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.