• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Trial - Reds V Chiefs @ Toowoomba Sat 8th Feb 7:40pm (AEST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
It is interesting to see that the Chiefs are taking this game, although a trial, very seriously, to be arriving in Brisbane on Wednesday. Unless its a bus man's holiday in lieu of the match that was to be for them against Toulon which was canned.
The Reds have beaten the Chiefs in their last four Super Rugby games, and so the Chiefs would regard this as an ideal hit out prior to the season starting.
There will be some high class rugby played for a trial, with the Reds playing big names Cooper, Ginea, Howell, Slipper, Simmons, and Gill against ,the Chief's Cruden, Kerr-Barlow, Anscombe, Fruean, Messam, Retallick, and Afeaki.
We all know its only a trial, but you can't help feeling that the Chiefs would really like to get one up over the Reds, and that the Reds equally would like to maintain their recent unbeaten record against the current Super 15 champions.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Reckon the Reds will be keen to win as well.

Do they start with their best team in first quarter then start to rotate to give most of the squad a run and trial

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think the chiefs brought their wifes on tour? At least that was the reason for the early arrival? A night with the WAGS.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
So a few nights down at the Gold Coast?
A bit different to the French Riviera.
I hope they take the trial seriously.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I wouldn't be expecting too much from this game. First hit out for the Reds and lots of fringe guys will get a run to see how they go with the step up. In saying that I thing a few established players will be keen to get off on a good note.

Is Horwill playing? He needs a big year for the Reds. When he's playing well everyone else lifts.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
This same trial last year was a very typical trial. Lots of fringe players getting big time. Players being tested in various positions. Things like scrums being taken for penalties mid field to try set piece moves etc.
The Chiefs seemed to treat it more like a game and won fairly easily.
Hope we dust off plenty of cobwebs and come away injury free! :) Get rid of the rust before we tackle the Brumbies Rd 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
seems like a full strength run-on team for the Reds - am sure there will be plenty of changes after the first and second quarters.

Really looking forward to Aiden T playing a injury free season. Guy has only played a hand full of games in about 6 years. Think patience at Ballymore if Aiden cops another injury will be extinguished.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
no team sheets yet but the talk is that everyone will play including all the Wallabies (Saia may not play, as he's unwell). Apparently the Chiefs are playing all their guns too. Its a trial and it will be sloppy, but great that the big names are playing.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
If this game was being played earlier in the day I'd be tempted to make the trip up. Wish this was being played on the Coast.

Pieman

Ward Prentice (10)
I think the Rebels had live streaming audio from their trial against the Tahs. Anyone know of any coverage of the Reds v Chiefs game? Maybe just Twitter?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
no team sheets yet but the talk is that everyone will play including all the Wallabies (Saia may not play, as he's unwell). Apparently the Chiefs are playing all their guns too. Its a trial and it will be sloppy, but great that the big names are playing.

Saia or Hanson or both?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I think the Rebels had live streaming audio from their trial against the Tahs. Anyone know of any coverage of the Reds v Chiefs game? Maybe just Twitter?

The Rebels live commentary was so bad you couldn't listen to it. What commentary you could hear was banal and undescriptive. But the main problem was the distortion, breaking up and crackling. You could only understand snatches of sentences and then whole slabs of it just went onto repeat. I put up with it for twenty minutes hoping it would improve and even came back later in the second half to check. Whatever technology they were using, it was worse than military battle communications in WW2.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reds will twitter the hell out of it. Not sure about much else. Will sus it out and let you know.

Pieman

Ward Prentice (10)
The Rebels live commentary was so bad you couldn't listen to it. What commentary you could hear was banal and undescriptive. But the main problem was the distortion, breaking up and crackling. You could only understand snatches of sentences and then whole slabs of it just went onto repeat. I put up with it for twenty minutes hoping it would improve and even came back later in the second half to check. Whatever technology they were using, it was worse than military battle communications in WW2.
Pity. It sounded good in theory.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Something like
Daley/Slipper (will he play 1 or 3)
Saia / Hanson (is he still injured)
Horwill & Simmo (Horwill to shine and lead well)
Gill, Quirk and Shatzy (all been said about these 3 blokes)
Genia
Cooper (has gone to another level)
?????
Taps (needs a good Super 15 season)
Ships and Turner (great signing)
Aiden (go hard, show what you've got - and lock 15 down)

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Saia or Hanson or both?

From Fox..
Ant & Hanson apparently have a virus?

Graham's forward pack for the season-opener virtually picks itself, although Ed Quirk and Curtis Browning are believed to be locked in a duel for the blindside flanker spot.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
reckon Quirk will definitely start - Browning will get plenty of time to show his wares. He will bring plenty of pressure to bear on Quirk this year and maybe a bit on Shatzy as well. From the team perspective, competition from within generally only increases performance.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
St.George Queensland Reds v Chiefs (Toowoomba)
1. Ben Daley
2. Saia Fainga’a
3. James Slipper
4. Rob Simmons
5. James Horwill (C)
6. Eddie Quirk
7. Liam Gill
8. Jake Schatz
9. Will Genia (VC)
10. Quade Cooper
11. Lachie Turner
12. Mike Harris
13. Ben Tapuai
14. Dom Shipperley
15. Aidan Toua

Reserves
Greg Holmes, Albert Anae, Jono Owen, Ed O’Donoghue, Blake Enever, Dave McDuling, Curtis Browning, Nick Frisby, Chris Kuridrani, Samuela Kerevi, Chris Feauai-Sautia, Rod Davies, Jonah Placid.

Status
Not open for further replies.